Which schools did you turn down for Bama?

<p>Bama is virtually unknown in our region of Western PA, and as such we were struck by the eerily similar experience with other OOS families stories: S or D did not want to consider Bama, but parents insisted on putting it in the mix, and everyone came away pleasantly surprised at what Bama had to offer during the college visit. We are latecomers to Bama but I’m glad my H inquired to ask if it was too late to apply. From our initial contact with our regional rep., to Dr. Sharpe’s advice, to invaluable feedback from the Alabama CC family, our experience with Bama has been very positive each step of the way. </p>

<p>As May 1 approaches, my S has decided on attending Alabama and we are all heaving a big sigh of relief. He graciously declined Univ. of Rochester (NMF scholarship), Lafayette College (Marquis), Tulane (Presidential), Catholic University (CUA scholarship), and Univ of Pittsburgh (Pitt scholarship). A big thank you to CC family especially mom2ckids, SEA_tide, momreads for helping in his decision. RTR!</p>

<p>Krazie turned down:
unc, ucla (our flagship), michigan, ucsd, washington, ithaca, northeastern, Clemson, among others ( I can’t remember them all now). </p>

<p>She got accepted to 11 colleges out of 12, was waitlisted for UVA.</p>

<p>My S turned down UVA, Clemson, South Carolina, and Davidson</p>

<p>Son turned down SMU, TCU, Case Western Reserve, Miami Ohio, Wake Forest, with a variety of scholarship offers.</p>

<p>I turned down partial scholarships/aid at Duke and Rice, full scholarships at TAMU, TTU, LSU, Tulsa, Washington and Lee, and then Clemson and one other I can’t remember (LOL). So worth it though!!! Oh and waitlisted at Harvard, rejected by Yale and Stanford.</p>

<p>Mesquite_girl24: What has been Harvard’s loss is Alabama’s gain! </p>

<p>My son set a record at his HS, as he was waitlisted by Harvard, Cornell and Duke. Turned down Washington U (with an incredible scholarship offer), McDaniel (full ride), the U. of Richmond (again, a nice offer), the U. of Rochester (probably broke his dad’s heart with this, but it fell a little short on money) and William & Mary. </p>

<p>And he does not regret the decision at all.</p>

<p>WOW- I am totally shocked that you all chose Alabama over such great schools!!</p>

<p>Selected Bama over:
USC (5,000 scholarship)
Tulane (20,000)
University of Miami (20,000)
Penn State (0)
South Carolina (Full tuition)
LSU (Full tuition please research)
Waitlist Vandy</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>Hlsess: It is very difficult, with the economy being so slow to recover, for many students not to take the full tuition ride/NM offer that a school like Alabama has. I know that this was a factor in the decisions made by my son … and Mesquite_girl24. </p>

<p>At the same time, these students see that Dr. Witt has made a commitment to bring the best and the brightest in the country to his school with such programs as Computer-Based Honors (the average SAT among those students is 1470 CR and M), the University Fellows, Blount and so many other academic programs that fill their needs. The lure of small classes featured at the honors level, along with new buildings such as the dorms (take your daughter to see those – they often sell the school to a student) and Shelby Hall also demonstrate that commitment to the student body as a whole. </p>

<p>These students gain a wonderful undergraduate education, research opportunities, great internships and later, admission to top-flight grad programs. </p>

<p>Oh, and of course, let’s not forget about that awesome football team …</p>

<p>Cheerleader, </p>

<p>With your fab stats, I’m surprised that Vandy waitlisted you. Your state must have a lot of applicants.</p>

<p>Vandy’s loss is Bama’s gain. </p>

<p>(I’m also surprised that Tulane only gave you $20k. With your stats, $25k is pretty standard.)</p>

<p>*At the same time, these students see that Dr. Witt has made a commitment to bring the best and the brightest in the country to his school with such programs as Computer-Based Honors (the average SAT among those students is 1470 CR and M), the University Fellows, Blount and so many other academic programs that fill their needs. The lure of small classes featured at the honors level, along with new buildings such as the dorms (take your daughter to see those – they often sell the school to a student) and Shelby Hall also demonstrate that commitment to the student body as a whole. *</p>

<p>Very true. Bama is spending an incredible amount of money on school improvements. I don’t think many schools can do this. Many schools are having to severely cut back on improvements.</p>

<p>D turned down:
Rhodes (can’t remember the scholarship info!)
Birmingham Southern (also full NMF package)
UT-Knoxville (Chancellor’s Scholar)</p>

<p>Also waitlisted at Vanderbilt.</p>

<p>Her original list at the end of Junior year was 18 schools, that dropped to 8, then dropped to 5 by August. By that point, she would have just applied to UA but I insisted that she keep some options open. She “knew” UA was right for her from when she stepped on campus junior year.</p>

<p>Congrats on going to Bama cheerleader. I think Tulane would have given you more scholarship money if your UW GPA had been higher, but I bet that wasn’t the deciding factor in your decision anyway. It is great to see a school choosing to make investments in academics that are of equal intensity to their investments in athletics. It was not that way for far too long. Sounds like some great programs.</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>I’ve seen Cheerleader’s resume and she has a great GPA. I’m also impressed by her very high SATs even though she’s a year younger than most seniors.</p>

<p>(plus, she’s gorgeous! LOL The Bama boys are going to be following her like lost puppies!)</p>

<p>Son was waitlisted at Harvard too but knew it was a long shot.</p>

<p>Son is a NMF, applied to only five schools (he’s a decisive guy, I guess) and was accepted by all. He’s adamant about leading a balanced life and had no interest in the Ivies, Stanford, etc. Chose Alabama over:</p>

<ol>
<li>University of Southern California (>$36,000 in scholarships and grants)</li>
<li>Boston University (>$26,000 in scholarships and grants)</li>
<li>Barrett Honors College/Arizona State University (approx $20,000 in scholarships)</li>
<li>University of Hawaii (our flagship/his and our economic safety in case he didn’t like UA)</li>
</ol>

<p>mom2collegekids - I am not saying her resume is not impresive, I am just saying that Tulane bases its awards on a combination of UW GPA, strength of schedule, and test scores, along with EC’s especially community service. But the academic side weighs most heavily. As you know I follow Tulane closely, and I have never seen a Presidential for a 3.3 UW. Might be out there, but it would be quite rare. In fact in this case there is even a level between what she got and a Presidential @ $22,000.</p>

<p>I only bring this up because I know you give a lot of advice to all sorts of students considering all sorts of schools, and I wouldn’t want one of them to get an unrealistic picture. Not trying to pick a fight, just saying I know the Tulane criteria pretty well.</p>

<p>I primarily based my applications on perceived net (after scholarships) cost and didn’t really have the desire to apply to Ivies or Stanford, despite how many people wanted me to go there (no undergrad business major).</p>

<p>For Comparison, I have the presidential (full-tuition) scholarship at UA.</p>

<p>I turned down:
U South Carolina (In-state tuition+5k per year)
U Pittsburgh (Full Tuition, Grad School Admission)
Seattle U (17.5k per year)
U Portland (15k per year IIRC)
Western Washington U (1.5k per year for 2 years)
U Washington (nothing)</p>

<p>It’s amazing the excellent schools people turn down to attend UA and also the number of schools kids are applying to. I applied and was accepted to UA before I applied to any other school and sometimes wonder why I applied to more than a couple others.</p>

<p>I have never seen a Presidential for a 3.3 UW.</p>

<p>What I have doesn’t indicate that she has a 3.3 UW GPA. I just have her GPA and it doesn’t say UW or W. So, if her UW GPA is a 3.3, then that could explain that.</p>

<p>In fact in this case there is even a level between what she got and a Presidential @ $22,000.</p>

<p>My boys got the Presidential and they got $24k… Someone posted that for fall 2010 it was raised to $25k, but I’m not sure about that.</p>

<p>My son’s Tulane Presidential offer was $25K.</p>

<p>M2K thank you for the kind words you have been a great friend to me. Fallenchemist you provide great support on the Tulane forum and were so helpful to me as well</p>

<p>I was amazed and very happy with the offers I got at each school I applied to. Penn State is my home university and they really give very little aid and I do not qualify for financial support so I am not surprise me. Honestly in the end the money was not the deciding factor for me. I am the only child at home and my parents would support any choice I made. My unweighted GPA is not great I know that.</p>

<p>Bama offered me the great combination of academics, athletics, and social life I was looking for. Tulane was very difficult to turn down and I think if the new stadium on campus was built it would have been a bigger challenge. USC tugs at my heart from the California perspective and Miami of course is Miami ;). I honestly could not have made a bad choice given my options.</p>

<p>My last hope is to get off the CBH waitlist but even if that does not happen I will be happy with my selection.</p>