Which State for purposes of college admissions?

I thought I had read a post about this a few years ago (before it mattered to me, so I didn’t pay close enough attention…), but for the purposes of college admissions, are BS kids lumped in with their school states or their home states? I’m NOT talking about in-state tax status – I realize our kids are still residents of their home states. But for example, many private schools have regional admissions reps – would a BS kid belong to the BS state rep (whose job is to compare kids within the context of their high school and region) OR would they get lumped in with their home state regional rep (this would seem hard to do the same-school comparisons)?

1 Like

This.

Adding the big old caveat that for international applicants, while their application is still considered in the context of the BS and region, they are still international and subject to caps imposed by the university

Also adding that for NMSF purpose, the cutoff is based on the BS region - specifically the highest state in that region.

1 Like

Thanks Ski. Makes sense. I’d remembered about NMSF, but a non-issue for my non-test-taker. :).

1 Like

The UC system considers kids as out of state for tuition if they don’t attend high school in CA, even if parents live in state. This was the case for us.

2 Likes

WAIT WHAT?
I’m going to DM you for more info on this! This is brand new information to me.

1 Like

That is not true

Hopefully this might ease your mind:

Who is a California resident?

A student is considered a resident for admission purposes if he or she can answer yes to any of the following questions:

Have you attended high school in California for at least three years during grades 9-12 and will graduate or have graduated from a California high school?
Have you lived in California for the last 12 months?
If you're under 18, does your parent or legal guardian live in California?
Is your parent, legal guardian, spouse or registered domestic partner an employee of the University of California or a UC-affiliated national laboratory?

This is taken from the UC home page.
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/california-residents/

Chances are that your kid is 18 though by the time they graduate. Hopefully the second bullet, the ‘live in California’ is solved by the fact that your student is typically resident with you even though they’re not sleeping there every night.

It is true for us.

1 Like

Tricky having different standards for tuition vs admission. What do those do who are over 18 when applying,?

1 Like

I’d posit that there were other factors in place for you. But we can let the OP research the details as it applies to her.

Well, since she asked, I replied. Our kids go to/went to the same BS. I would expect nothing less than the OP doing additional research.

3 Likes

Just to close the loop on the residency issue for future California readers – It does sound like there were extenuating factors that probably don’t apply to us. I was worried something had changed maybe but alas, no…I think we are fine. (now if only my kids wanted to stay in-state for college…). :).
In any case, my original question was really about which regional rep would handle a BS student for primarily private schools anyway. :).
Thanks all for the input!

1 Like

#4 is what gave me pause since the kid has to also provide a SLR too. I think it was intended for kids with divorced parents in other states, but the kid has to provide residency too. The UC system defines residency in a different way than an accountant would.

1 Like

I really think: that’s only for a “non-resident” student.
Boarding school does not re-establish a kid’s residency.
(Another way to look at it: the kid must be a resident somewhere, right?
going to BS certainly doesn’t make a kid a resident of that state if the parents stay home.
So…when you look at it that way, no kid is losing ALL residency of the US. They are residents where their parents are residents.
so #4 doesn’t apply here at all for most continuous residents.
That said, if a kid does NOT live in a state, but the parent does (custody issue, court-ordered situation, etc), then I could see how #4 gets called in.
It really does not seem that boarding school would change a kid’s residency…they are under care and have state residency with their parents for 99.9% of kids.

2 Likes

The two colleges with which I’m most familiar definitely assign BS kids to the reader(s) for the place where the BS is located.

2 Likes

Don’t think this is the case - you are not read in the CA applicant pool but you are a resident of CA for tuition bc your family are residents (and so are you as a minor)

2 Likes

@nat1969 this is my conclusion too.

2 Likes

Clark University seems to assign counselors by school, interestingly enough

2 Likes