Which UC's do I have a chance at? I need to decide which ones to tour

In state

UC GPA: 3.79
SAT: 1450 (750 math, 700 English, 6/7/6 Essay)

Major: Actuarial Sciences at UCSB&UCLA, various math majors at the rest

Extracurriculars: main-stage high school shows grades 9-11, and various smaller clubs included an improv club which I started with 2 friends

Community service: Catholic youth leader 15 hours, worked with developmentally disabled 10 hours

Rigor: AP Calc AB, physics honors, precalculus honors, college classes (on college campus) in calc 1&2, political science, anthropology, english, and US history

Extra info: A traumatic event took place junior year that caused my grades to drop (I was about 3.9 heading into Junior year), and then led me to leave school abruptly in the middle of the year. I had to take the late winter and spring going through intensive therapy, so I finished junior year through community colleges over the summer and then went to a new school senior year which limited my extracurriculars and scheduling options

You applied to all the UC’s? Have you visited any? Which UC’s are you close to and when do you plan to visit?

Sorry double post

UCR aand UCM are your best shots. UCSC is a coin toss. The rest are pretty unlikely.
SDSU, CSULB and CPP are all good schools that would love to have you as a student.

Good luck.

Yes I applied to all the UCs and I do not know which I plan on visiting yet. I live near San Francisco.

Maybe a good idea to plan your visit(s) after you are accepted. Good Luck.

If you live near SF, then you can at least tour UCD on the weekend.

And UCSC. Hit “post” too soon!

Does anyone think that my high SAT can outweigh my low GPA considering I had extenuating circumstances that plummeted my GPA? I talked about the circumstance in my personal insight. I would love to go to UCSB.

You are around the average of UCSB, and definitely UCSC. UC Merced is a good safety. Unless you have time to drive to Davis or Santa Cruz, you might want to wait to visit until you get in. If you talked about it in the personal insight section they will definitely take that into consideration. Good luck!

UCSB and UCD both have average UC GPAs around 4.1 for their freshman admits.

If you live on the East Bay side of the San Francisco Bay Area, UCM is about 1.5 hours away.

I hope you get UCSB. With all the college classes you took to get caught up your junior year, you seem like you bounced back well. They say SB weights essays 50%. If ever there was a test of the holistic admissions process, I think this is it! Let us know how it turns out.

@NCalRent That’s just not true.

@ironweasal: If you check the UC website for Freshman profiles the 25th-75th percentile for UC GPA capped weighted are as follows:

UCD: 3.95-4.25. Average would be 4.1
UCSB: 3.96-4.25 Average would be 4.1

So @NCalRent is right about the average GPA’s.

I think you make a compelling applicant with a compelling story for all the UCs. Good Luck. In the bay area, you must go see UCB.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/santa-barbara/freshman-profile/
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/davis/freshman-profile/index.html
here are the freshman profiles from UCD and UCSB.

Admitted student stats don’t tell the whole story, especially at UCSB where their yield is in the upper teens. Look at this (http://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional.research/new.student.profiles/new.freshman.profile.2015.2017.pdf), which gives numbers for students who actually attend. The avg GPA is a little lower for that group, and over 25% of the students had HS GPA’s in 3.7-3.9 range. With how UCSB weights the elements of the application, I think OP at least has a chance there. I think it would depend on what is in the application that gives the readers ammo to justify an admit.

As to the original question, UCSB, UCSC, and UCD would be a good start, and not too far. Save UCR and UCM for later if need be.

Is the 3.79 GPA weighted or unweighted? Are the college classes included in that calculation? Assuming the 3.79 to be unweighted, and assuming you’ve gotten at least a mix of As and Bs in the college classes, I’m going to guess you have a very good shot at UCR, Merced, and Santa Cruz. Good shot at UCSB, because I’m going to guess that you have compelling essays. Decent shot at UCI, UC Davis.

If you’re in the bay area, Santa Cruz is a day trip, and a pleasant one. Davis and Berkeley are easy, also, obviously.