Which undergrad business program - Ohio State Honors, U of SC Capstone, UTK, FSU, Florida or ASU Barrett?

In state (Ohio State) is the best financial option, but looking at the total pic for campus life, weather and future employment opportunities. Would love to hear thoughts.

Great choices…I would doubt the business outcomes for any of these would be better than OSU honors and it is least expensive. You should be able to get a good outcome from any though.

If cost is no object or you highly desire to go OOS, pick the one you like best after visiting to include campus, vibe and weather. Also may want to consider where geographically you want to work after school though none of these should limit you nationally if you do well…just a bit harder to go beyond region school is in.

2 Likes

I don’t see a reason to pay a premium over tOSU for the criteria that you mentioned. But I am not a fan of FL or AZ weather.

2 Likes

does ASU Barrett come with any $? because that is generally considered the best honors college in the US.

Agree – I would not pay more for any college you listed over OSU Honors.

1 Like

All are great choices. Weather - depends what you like - all typically have good merit.

Pick the most comfortable budget and fit wise. All are very solid.

What discipline in business ? If supply chain for example, then UTK or ASU.

Good luck.

Likely Finance with a Business Analytics or Marketing minor/concentration added

All are fine.

I’m assuming you didn’t get the out-of-state tuition waiver at FSU? It would either be in your acceptance letter or in the portal at the bottom.

If you’re thinking international business then South Carolina would be the choice.

All schools are good choices. No bad choices.

2 Likes

Thanks to all - really happy with the choices, but now it’s decision time. Some more information about factors.

Ohio State - Honors Program, Provost Scholarship and an additional discount - COA $19,000 plus misc
FSU - straight admission, applying for dept and external scholarship - COA $35,000 plus travel and misc
UF - straight admission, applying for dept and external scholarship - COA $45.000 plus travel and misc
ASU - Barrett Honors College, New American merit ($15,500) applying for dept scholarship - COA $32,500 plus misc and travel
UTK - straight admission, $15,000 merit - COA $30,000 plus misc and travel
UofSC - Capstone, $15,100 merit - COA $32,000 plus misc and travel

Would like warmer weather, not overly interested in Greek life, neither liberal or conservative, and looking for the big school experience (sports, social opportunities, career guidance). While targeting southern schools for weather, not looking for a greek/“southern belle” social experience. Basically looking to see if it’s really worth the money to get a better opportunity out of state.

None of those other options OOS is markedly better than tOSU

4 Likes

Is it worth it for finance? No.

Will you have better weather - yes? You don’t need the Southern Belle experience at any of the schools - it could be there though for those who do. You did apply to them so…

All have sports - depends if they’re goog that year. An OSU is always good (football).

Careers - you get out of it what you put into it. Do you use the career center…taking their workships? Are you using handshake, indeed, linkedin, etc.

So the questions are - since you have a low COA in state -

1. What can you afford?

2. Assuming you can afford all, what do you want to afford?

Fine choices - great acceptances. Good choice.

PS - don’t forget Barrett has an additional cost (not sure if you included).

1 Like

the only reason to choose one of the others is if the weather is a make-or-break factor for you (as it is for my daughter). Otherwise OSU has what you are looking for and is cheaper by a good amount. I am not opposed to using weather to make a decison, but that depends how much of a burden that cost differential is. that money can buy some nice winter clothes.

between the others, though, I would likely choose a special program that breaks it down to a small communtiy, so USC Capstone or ASU Barrett. Barrett prob has more prestige but it’s a large campus (multiple campuses). USC is becoming popular for quality of life reasons.

Have you factored in the 4K extra cost for Barrett?

I’m not sure ASU Barrett or USC Capstone - the 2 outstanding honors choices - are worth it over tOSU Honors for Finance/Business Analytics. If you can afford the difference, I’d choose based on weather (hot&humid, hot&dry) and proximity to ocean (you can definitely go spend Fall break at the beach from USC). However with 13-16k extra a year you can pay for Fall and Spring Break AND summer internship anywhere and still have savings so…

Great points:) Leaning towards the Buckeye option.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.