Who else thinks prestige doesn't matter much when it comes to UCB/LA/SD/SB/D/I?

<p>Alright, so I’m basically getting somewhat irritated that a lot of kids seem to be picking which UC to attend based on prestige. Does anyone realize that there’s really not THAT big of a difference between the top 6 UCs? The only really noticeable difference, in my opinion, is location and social dynamic.</p>

<p>For your undergraduate experience, I think, when it comes to the top 6 UCs, you should attend the best fit for you. With all 6 ranging from 21-44 in the U.S. news undergraduate rankings, I don’t think the prestige difference is enough to make up for 4 years of hell at Berkeley/LA whereas you would have 4 great years at Davis/SB/I/SD.</p>

<p>Pick a campus that fits your personality and lifestyle; college is what you make of it, especially considering all 6 of these great schools are top 50 universities in the nation!</p>

<p>I'm currently deciding between Berkeley and Davis, and your post definitely helped me to put certain things into perspective. I guess the reason why many people are asking about the prestige factor between the UCs is because for many Californians (including myself), the range of colleges we're even considering attending only includes UCs, so we nitpick each and analyze them way more than necessary.</p>

<p>Exactly. Even if you DO look at prestige, the gap between Berkeley/LA and SD/SB/D/I is closing. But like I said, decide whether you feel more comfortable at Davis or Berkeley and attend the better fit for you.</p>

<p>That is excellent advice Snowc1b. :)</p>

<p>It is a mix of prestige/reputation/how strong a program is/lifestyle/economic situation/etc,etc,etc.</p>

<p>However, i think the first and primary deciding factor is how strong a school is in a particular field or major.</p>

<p>There is a pretty big gap between Berkeley and the rest. I heard all they do is study study study and the only reason why they have parties is for study parties. Don't know if it is true though.</p>

<p>I think the OP covered that quite well by talking about the best fit. While you might prioritize the strength of the major program first, another student might be more interested in internship opportunities, or even extra-curriculars. Prioritizing what is important is the most difficult part of the decision making process for most students. Visiting the campus really helps, and this point cannot be stressed enough.</p>

<p>But really, what's the use of having no fun at Berkeley for 4 years when you could being having a blast at a place like UC Irvine? In reality, the diploma only really helps you get that first job; once you get past that, it's all about prior employment. </p>

<p>The difference is probably at most a couple tenths GPA wise between schools like Berkeley and Irvine. I doubt something like a 3.4 at Irvine is seen as worse than a 3.1 or so at Berkeley.</p>

<p>A small difference like that just really isn't that important to someone like me who wants to have an awesome undergraduate experience at a location that fits my lifestyle!</p>

<p>Don't count on a huge GPA difference. Most students find that not to be the case.</p>

<p>You're actually probably right; I think GPAs at all 6 of those schools are probably fairly comparable. The quality of the student bodies are just too similar for there to be more then one or two tenths of a grade point's worth of difference.</p>

<p>Great point, the difference is already small and is likely to continue to decrease.</p>

<p>I've been at Irvine for a nearly a whole year. I honestly don't think there's any difference in quality of education. In fact, I honestly think I would be doing worse at cal if I ever got in there. Irvine is a better fit for me and it will allow me to grow which may not happen at other UC's such as Cal/LA. Growth and development are important esp. since I'm considering grad school. </p>

<p>OP, you seem beyond your years. Its taken me ~half way through my first year before I came to accept what you did. May your wisdom take you far and decisions allow you to pursue your goals.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm chosing UCI over Cal and L.A. I think I need to grow more, and maybe I'll go to Cal/LA for grad school.</p>

<p>I really like this thread. Great insight and a relief for those...like me, who were rejected from a bunch of places.</p>

<p>awesome thread</p>

<p>this is why i chose uci>ucsd
fits me better</p>