Who/what is IB good for?

Hi, I’ve read a lot about IB being “worth it” and that there are a lot of “advantages” but I was just wondering what exactly those advantages are (other than a higher probability of getting into competitive universities).

Also, I heard that IB is not for everyone, even if you’re seemingly well adjusted and intelligent. Could someone elaborate on this?

The reason I ask is because I wanted to do IB since grade 8. I was accepted into the gifted program at my highschool and it was pretty easy for me. Our school has something called pre-IB which is basically a trial run for the actual IB which I am currently in (grade10). I thought I was doing pretty well. I got on honor roll for first term even though I procrastinated a lot. Second term was a bit more challenging. I finally got the hang of time-management but I was always behind on assignments. The stress and competition really got to me at times but I though it was normal because it affected my friends too.

I got on the waiting list for IB even though all of my friends got in. Other people I know who got on the waiting list were slackers or had other priorities (like cadets and competitive swimming). I have no idea why they put me on the waiting list because so far I’ve gotten good feedback from my teachers and I’m one of the top students in pre-IB. I know of people who got terrible grades and got in, and I also know of people who stress out so much for marks that they would cry to their teachers about it and still got in. I didn’t even though I’m a good student and wouldn’t go so far as to cry to my teachers about marks. For extracurriculars, I volunteer regularly, am the head illustrator for the school newspaper, learn languages, and play ultimate.

When I learned that I got wait listed, I started to seriously reconsider IB. I realized that, in pre-IB, I cared more about getting good results than learning the actual subject and always compared myself to others. I also suddenly became really sensitive about marks even though I never really stressed out about it before. I know that with some effort, I can change this and learn to handle stress/competition better but is it really worth it and is IB diploma really right for me or should i do part time and instead enhance my extracurriculars?

In case your wondering, my parents want me to go to UBC (I live in Canada) but I’ve always wanted to at least have the opportunity to study overseas (which is still possible if you go to UBC, but might take longer).

What do you think? Is IB for you? Chase your dreams, cuz its worth it. Obviously, whatever course plan you take, you might compare yourselves, and you just have to stop that bad habit. Compare yourself to yourself.

I agree ^^ Don’t compare yourself to anybody else but yourself. Always strive to get ahead, no matter where anyone else is. Also, you should go for it. If you really don’t think you could handle it, then don’t, but you’ll never know what you’re fully capable of until you challenge yourself. (Within reason, of course.) IMO, go for it. But it’s really up to you. Good luck in whatever you choose. :slight_smile:

The IB is useful for applying to European and other global colleges (outside of US/Canada). It’s regarded to be as rigorous as the AP. It also emphasizes on breadth moreso than depth (at least that’s my perception of it from what I’ve read and from what my IB friends are telling me), so you have to consider whether it fits your educational goals. It’s also a really “global” curriculum, meaning it’s not US-focused (unlike the AP, with its offerings in US government, US politics, etc). It also teaches a philosophy of thought and is very writing-intensive, unlike the AP (again), which is more focused on teaching college-level content. Though you write much more essays in AP, they are nowhere near as long as the 4k word essay you’ve to write in your second year of IB.

Honestly, as others have mentioned, at the end of the day you’re the one receiving your education. Think about what your academic goals are, how you’d like to challenge yourself, and what you will do to get there. The IB is NOT a program for every gifted student. Sometimes, the APs or double-enrolling in community college classes can be a much better fit for students with a deep interest in some subjects, rather than one who is well-rounded in all subjects.