Why Bama?

<p>My son recently got into Bama and West Virginia University. He his very conflicted over where to go. He loves the Bama sports,weather and academics but he is concerned about fraternity life and being an african american on campus (He’s not scared of racism but he doesn’t like that he is almost forced to do a african American fraternity he would rather it be multicultural) Also he has heard that although there are many things to do if you are not in a fraternity, being in one is the most fun and that it pretty much rules the school. He really loves the idea of Bama but these factors are holding him back. If he goes to WVU he is worried about the academics. WVU is not on the same level as Bama academically but he would feel more comfortable there and he feels like he can choose, also it is a huge party school and he has heard nothing but great things about the school. It is also a much cheaper option and we would be able to drive and not fly. I’m hoping my son chooses Bama but i would definitely understand if he chose WVU. Please if anyone has any insight on this topic the help would be much appreciated. This is a very stressful choice for both me and my son!</p>

<p>Superdad, are you concerned that your son will not receive a bid from a multicultural fraternity at UA?</p>

<p>Welcome! </p>

<p>Tell us more about your son…his major, his interests, etc.</p>

<p>Will he be in the honors college?</p>

<p>Have you visited Bama?</p>

<p>Well I’m not really sure how that whole bid thing works (i never went to college) but i think he is worried that he will have to do a african american fraternity and he does not like the idea of all black or all white. </p>

<p>My son is doing pre-physical therapy, He’s a big time athlete he love football and wrestling, he’s a very relaxed kid gets along with everyone as far as i can tell.
He will not be in the honors college. We are trying to make time to visit but we live in new york, between the costs and timing we are having a rough time figuring out when we can make it down there.</p>

<p>I know others are going to tell you this, but you simply have to take the time and spend the money to visit UA - there is no other way to make a truly informed decision. It will definitely help make up your mind and your son’s mind about things you might both be worried about. If you read through the hundreds of posts here, you will get a flavor for things - but it is not the same as seeing in person all that everyone talks about!</p>

<p>We are definitely going to visit, its just a matter of when. I told my son the same thing, He thinks he can make the decision based off facts alone.</p>

<h2>“Also he has heard that although there are many things to do if you are not in a fraternity, being in one is the most fun and that it pretty much rules the school.”</h2>

<p>I hope you can arrange a visit to campus soon. I think your son might be surprised. Yes, in Greek circles it may seem this way, and perhaps some non Greeks may feel the same way. I certainly cannot speak for everyone, and I have no experience with the fraternities since I have girls. What I can assure you is that while going Greek is a great option if that is what he wants to do, it really isn’t necessary to have fun or be involved. Everyone is not Greek and there are plenty of opportunities to make friends, both Greek and non Greek ones, and become involved on campus. As a parent, I would say you have listed many reasons to consider Bama in your comment and one major one to attend WVU. We could all tell you how great Bama is, but in the end it will have to come down to personal choice. I really believe he could be happy at Bama even if he didn’t go Greek, but you know him best. I think it may be time to bring out the pro and con chart and weigh academics, $ and feel and then reevaluate his doubts about Greek life. He would be welcome at Bama. Best of luck in making this decision.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Superdad, my son is the head of recruiting for his fraternity. It is not an AA fraternity and they have no problem offering bids to compatible AA students. He would be happy to meet with you and your son when you visit UA to answer any questions you may have about the bid process, the school, or anything else relevant to you folks.</p>

<p>Send me a PM if you’re interested and I’ll hook you up with him.</p>

<p>Superdad,
My D is neither greek nor AA, so I have no insights on either front, but I certainly understand the stress of choosing the right place for your kid to spend 4 very important years. </p>

<p>We’ve been very happy with the Bama choice. It’s a large, diverse population with plenty of opportunities and resources. </p>

<p>Wishing you the best -:)</p>

<p>While I am not African-American, I am a first generation college student and have had experience with the decision to possibly join a fraternity.</p>

<p>While the incoming freshman may think that Greek life is a huge part of campus, it really isn’t. While I am in a major that is very popular with students in fraternities and sororities, I find that I rarely notice that Greek organizations host a lot of events since I am busy pursuing my own interests. Looking back, while I maybe should have better considered Greek life, I am more than happy with my decision not to become Greek and have appreciated being GDI (non-Greek) and being able to experience college on my own terms.</p>

<p>While I don’t know your financial situation, there is an additional cost associated with pledging a fraternity, though if a fraternity has a house, ones overall costs might end up being cheaper in subsequent years if they live in the house rather than on campus or in one of the fancier apartment complexes. </p>

<p>Airfare from Newark to Birmingham can be had for $240 roundtrip, $275 from other NYC-area airports in NY/CT, and $350 from other areas of NY. If close to NYC, there is a daily Amtrak train that would take around 24 hours to get to Tuscaloosa, which would be doable at the beginning and end of each academic year. I highly suggest visiting both schools.</p>

<p>As for pledging, I know of a couple fraternities that would be very happy to have African-American members.</p>

<p>Right now flying from the NY area to BHM is quite expensive and Newark is usually not feasible to those of us residing in NY (requires driving to NJ and doing long term parking).</p>

<p>However Amtrak is a great option, although it takes 24 hours (yes 24) it is quite comfortable, fairly scenic, and is available each day including weekends.</p>

<p>I have done this with my son and it was a fun (if long) experience. Just take a regular coach seat as “rooms” are quite expensive. There are several discounts such as AAA discounts. Round trip is about $300 right now depending on day of travel as opposed to almost $500 flying. The taxi costs to UA is about $10.00. This can depend on where your hotel is located, I stayed at the Hotel Capstone which is right on campus so no car was required. </p>

<p>Here is a link to a discount program where one adult travels and a high school student travels half price. I used this several years ago and I hope it is still available and valid.
[About.com:</a> <a href=“http://www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/[/url]”>http://www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/](<a href=“http://studenttravel.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=studenttravel&cdn=travel&tm=7&f=20&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/]About.com:”>http://studenttravel.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=studenttravel&cdn=travel&tm=7&f=20&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/)</a></p>

<p>Checked link, looks like it is still valid (some black out dates) seats do sell out fast on the “Crescent”.</p>

<p>My daughter went off to Bama thinking Greek life was the last thing she’d ever consider, and ended up in a sorority. She balances it with other things including the club triathlon team. Despite her experience, I don’t feel like I know enough to comment about your son’s concerns about pledging. But I will comment on his major. My daughter, as a very intense triathlete with a lot of injuries in her past, is also planning a physical therapy degree after UA. As I am sure you know, admission to PT school is very competititve. She considered an Athletic Training undergrad degree and we spent a lot of time in that department. She was very impressed with the internships they could offer her, including her second true love of professional hockey. She ended up deciding to double major in Kinesiology and Spanish (made possible by UA’s very generous acceptance of AP credits) thinking that the Spanish addition will be useful in a medical field. She is really enjoying her classes and is looking forward to her clinical hours in Disability Sports next year. There is a very active pre-health profession group and the faculty advisor (I think Dr. Nutt?) is excellent at helping kids navigate the path to internships and graduate schools. Hope that info helps some.</p>

<p>Whitlo- Your daughters decision to take spanish, Really really smart idea! I am a nurse, And people that speak spanish are in high demand in healthcare. Often they command higher salaries. So good job with research on your daughters part!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>SuperDad55,</p>

<p>While we are not AA, we are from NY and Jewish, and my son was deciding between West Virginia and UA. We visited Alabama (and WVU) and my son had made up his mind! We discussed all the same things that you did, cost, party school(WVU), biases, everything. Alabama is a far better school! The vibe of the campus, great football, and the beautiful dorms made my son’s decision. While I might be aprehensive about his decision, he is not. Spend some time reading this forum, it WILL help.</p>

<p>Yes, it is nice to see there will be other Jewish kids there too. I can empathize with you wanting to make sure kids of all ethnicities are comfortable. I personally will welcome some diversity for my son as his school is not very diverse. The world is though.</p>

<p>I showed this to my son and he has a much brighter outlook on bama now. Thank you all very much. He is going to look into so fraternities but he is happy to know that if doesn’t want to do one there are many other options.</p>

<p>My son’s not in a fraternity but he has a great social life at Bama, mainly through a Christian group called Navigators. There is something for everyone at Bama! And goodness, if your son is into sports, he may not even have <em>time</em> for a fraternity, lol! (Although Malanai’s son’s frat sounds like a good option. I think the frats and sororities are changing at Bama. That’s certainly long overdue!)</p>

<p>I second robotbldmom re Amtrak. It’s a bit of a hassle picking DS up at 4 a.m. at the Amtrak station in Greensboro, lol. But it is affordable and <em>way</em> more convenient than flying – especially considering that we seldom know till almost the last minute exactly when DS will be coming home!</p>

<p>BTW, my son was homeschooled right through high school. In the backwoods of rural North Carolina, no less. LOL, socially he had a lot of lost time to make up (as he never ceases to remind us). Yet he has <em>blossomed</em> socially at Bama. (If one can use the term “blossomed” WRT a guy, lol.) </p>

<p>You have to make a little effort to find compatible clubs, groups, and activities – but seriously, there is something for everyone!</p>