Why didn't you apply to a HBCU?

<p>That’s an interesting take. My family is some sort of United Nations. Whatever combination you can think of, we’ve got it. We’ve got Blacks with Jews, Blacks with Hispanics, American Blacks with African Blacks, Blacks with Asians. We cover the color spectrum. And this is on both my parents side. I am adult, which means these mixed marriages were occurred as far back as the 1950’s.</p>

<p>In our family, the bi-racial children have always opted for the HBCU. There a quite a few that don’t look Black at all. They were quite comfortable at the HBCUs and are doing / did fine. They are comfortable in their own skin. I could speculate that because we can trace our ancestors back several generations, that there is quite a bit of pride in our Black roots. </p>

<p>As far as the future usefulness of HBCUs, I haven’t formed an opinion. The graduates that I know and they range from new grads to seniors age 90+, all successful and quite proud. This what I do know…</p>

<p>The broad sweeping generalizations of the HBCUs wear me out. I know what I’m fed in the media and I know what I’ve seen upon visiting them. The generalization of the kids being ghetto is just that, a generalization. My cousins, nieces and nephews are not “ghetto”. They grew up in middle-class, upper middle class environments. They are children of professionals who may have attended HBCUs themselves. They may like Lil Wayne and Drake, they may also like Bach. </p>

<p>The students that I know who attend HBCUs now, attended predominantly white high schools. The parents of these children are engineers, doctors, politicians, CEOs, journalists, educators, lawyers and small business owners. And these are kids from my city. The parents of the friends that my kid has at Howard include professor at UNC, a judge, lawyers and doctors. These kids opted out of the PWIs for many reasons.</p>

<p>What I’ve observed is the kids who attended the mostly Black publics attended the PWI’s. The kids who attended the mostly white privates went to HBCUs. I will add the caveat, that the HBCUs are Howard, Morehouse and Spelman with Dillard thrown in. These kids fit in well in all worlds. </p>

<p>I don’t know. The cultural differences were pretty obvious in the high schools they went to. For many of the white students, the only Black people they knew, were the Blacks who attended the school. When my husband and I went to some event and sat at a table, the other (white) parents got up and moved to another table. Of course not all the families were like that, but there were enough. When I was in high school, my world was much more integrated. My daughter would lament there there was no middle ground in our metropolitan area, so polarizing.</p>

<p>Anyway, congratulations to all of you on your acceptances. This internet mom is quite proud of all of your accomplishments. My cousin’s (not bi-racial) daughter graduated from Stanford a few years ago. She was very active in the Black student group on campus. For graduation, the Black faculty had a special event for the graduates, which was very nice.
While at Stanford, she studied at Spelman for a semester. After Stanford, she attended U-Mich for a Masters in Public Health, then attended Duke for Med school and then to Harvard for her residency. She finishes it all up next month. Long expensive, fulfilling journey.</p>

<p>Stay focused, stay open-minded and stay strong.</p>

<p>How can one be comfortable with others identifying them as an “oreo”, basically stating that intelligence and class may only come with being white? I thought African Americans had more pride then that these days… No disrespect to anyone, but it’s just really sad, and I really am ashmaed at the rate ignorance spreads amongst our race…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>How can you use such a blatant generalization? That’s equally as bad as those who, according to you, believe “intelligence and class may only come with being white.”</p>

<p>Proper spelling knows no color.</p>

<p>However, with regards to your comment about individuals being comfortable with being identified as an “oreo,” I have a video I think you would be interested in: <a href=“http://lab.wgbh.org/open-call/bi-racial-hair[/url]”>http://lab.wgbh.org/open-call/bi-racial-hair&lt;/a&gt;. I found it a lovely statement that encompasses the experiences of many individuals with African heritage, biracial or not. Her live version on youtube was, in my opinion, far better, but I have not been able to locate it. :frowning: If I do find it, I’ll shoot it your way.</p>

<p>Is this the video in question, [“Bi-Racial</a> Hair”: The Film Video by Lisa Russell - MySpace Video](<a href=“Featured Content on Myspace”>Featured Content on Myspace) ? My dd saved Zora’s poem in our favorites as Miss. Howard speaks the truth about what DD deals with on a daily basis from her peers, especially those within the AA community.</p>

<p>Anybody know the Huntsville -Cambridge connection in the video?</p>

<p>Proper spelling knows no color, well mistakes don’t either. No lessons on grammar and spelling please& thanks. </p>

<p>However, it was not a generalization. I was referring to a specific comment made by another user. I know there are many African Americans who haven’t succumb to such ignorance, yet when I see statements that portray it so blatantly yes I am saddened (perhaps “ashamed” wasn’t the correct word). One of us represents all of us; we represent each other…so of course if I see even one individual representing the black race in such a way, it saddens me. However, in no way was I implying that this holds truth to everyone who is African American.</p>

<p>Also to ksarmand: Thanks for the video. I’ll be sure to check it out =)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t have much of a teaching instinct, to be honest. I was simply commenting on your unorthodox syntax and diction.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>To a certain–and highly limited–extent, I suppose that this could be true. However, I prefer not to be identified with any particular aggregate, and would rather be considered as a discrete individual rather than a representative of an entire race.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I realize that as of current, this is not possible. There is, however, nothing wrong with moving in that direction.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ah, that’s a relief.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You’re most welcome.</p>

<p>Well as I previously stated, your comments regarding my “unorthodox syntax and diction”, are most definitely not required in this direction, nor are they necessary… therefore, it would be much appreciated if you retain such statements for your own personal improvement… </p>

<p>Yet, it is your own preference to remove yourself from the “aggregate” of which you speak, if that’s how you choose to define the sense of unity amongst the black community, but where did you inquire the sense that African American representation of fellow African Americans, takes away one’s individuality?</p>

<p>One’s own identity is in fact beautiful and should be cherished; yet I stand by the fact that regarding matters as an entire people, we do stand as one and in fact represent each other. </p>

<p>I would love to believe that we, as African Americans could be identified for each of our own personal traits, but is it uncommon for someone who is not of African American heritage to witness certain actions within our culture of which they feel amiss and assume that everyone who is black also acts as such? It is unfortunate, but we are so often grouped together by the outside world of acting in a manner that is completely unacceptable to society, and I’m sure you agree that it serves to be immensely frustrating. I’m simply saying in regards to that, we should attempt to represent each other in the highest possible light. </p>

<p>And in no way, do I feel that this type of representation takes away from the beauty of identity or individuality. </p>

<p><strong>Side note</strong>
I do not wish to be offensive, and I hope I do not come off in such a way… yet be aware that these are my own personal opinions. I’ve been involved in threads where the conversation took some nasty turns, and I feel now that I must be a bit cautious! So please no hard feelings!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh, I don’t take much of my internet discourse personally. The cloak of anonymity can do great things. :slight_smile:
In fact, I greatly enjoy discussing things with people of different opinions than my own, as I gain new perspectives and opportunities for reflection upon my beliefs.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That is an extrapolation. I did not state that anywhere, and furthermore, that is not one of my beliefs.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I admire your desire for racial unity. To an extent, I suppose that I do agree with your assertion that it should be our aim to serve as exemplars of our racial subgroup, as it provides motivation for many who otherwise would not have any.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>To emphasize: just as you do not appreciate grammatical correction, I do not appreciate the willful misinterpretation of my views.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That is something else I agree with; however, on the merits of having to do this as a member of a group rather than as an individual everyone can look up to I am not sure we agree.</p>

<p>If you’d like to discuss this further, please pm me. I’m quite intrigued by this discussion and your points of view and, as is such, would love for it to continue. However, our posts are increasingly non-germane with regards to the OP’s topic, which is why people didn’t apply to HBCUs (and, just to throw my $.02 in, I did).</p>

<p>Actually, the subject of which we currently discuss is in fact related to the thread’s topic, indirectly perhaps, but indeed related, so I think it appropriate to continue as we are. Furthermore, it is not uncommon to digress during threads, and never has it appeared cause conflict, yet if you feel uncomfortable with the format of which we’ve chosen to engage… you do not have to reply. Personally though, I would appreciate some input from other users! Or perhaps we could even initiate a separate thread? </p>

<p>However, I’m entirely grateful that one such as yourself is able to appreciate the beauty of debate! It is unfortunate that many individuals I’ve come across are unable to remove their emotional aspect, even in the midst of anonymity!! </p>

<p>I apologize if you felt I misinterpreted your prospective, but you stated, “…would rather be considered as a discrete individual rather than a representative of an entire race”, eluding to what, in my opinion, seemed as though you felt said representation would take away from one’s own identify. Correct me if I’m mistaken.</p>

<p>I do agree that we should strive as individuals with the ability to set examples, you are indeed correct, but I see no fault in also improving as a unified faction.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Very well.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ah, but I do–I have a predilection for always wanting to have the last word. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, perhaps I should use an analogy here to illustrate my opinion. In Model United Nations conferences, each school sends a delegation that represents a single country in a variety of committees. When being evaluated for a possible award, I would much rather be evaluated on my individual merits than as a member of an entire delegation that, at least at the last few conferences, has been quite lackluster in its performance. </p>

<p>Similarly, when it comes to race, I will be the first to acknowledge my ethnicity, as I would wear my nametag with my country listed in large print on my shirt during a MUN conference; it is something that I hold quite dear to my heart, and I have nothing but love for my native land, Haiti. However, when being assessed, I would prefer that it be done on an individual basis and not relative to others who happen to have been born within the same geographic boundaries as me, much as I would rather not be considered for an award relative to the performances of the other students in my school’s delegation. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If you are speaking with regards to cultural aspects of the African Diaspora (and by this I mean African-Americans, Black Caribbeans, those of African descent in Latin America, etc.), then I cautiously agree with your point. While you have not done this yourself, too often, we, as a society at large, quickly malign members of our cultural cohort for a variety of vices they may not necessarily be guilty of. For instance, I do not take any particular pleasure in being called a “baby mama” when accompanying my younger sister, whom many assume to be my daughter; next to none of my friends with non-African heritage have experienced this. Truly, much of what needs to be worked upon lies in the conception we have of ourselves and what we can achieve, in addition to the realization of those aspirations, since that will indubitably lead to improved perceptions from without and within.</p>

<p>As a group within American society - and indeed, within many of the other societies that have substantial populations of members of the African Diaspora - I feel that it will not be unilaterally advantageous to members of our racial and cultural subgroup to rapidly cohere, though I will say that there is far more we could do in the way of offering support to those of similar heritage to ours. One such example is "[The</a> Empowerment Experiment](<a href="http://www.eefortomorrow.com/]The"&gt;http://www.eefortomorrow.com/)"; I find it a positive example (though its practitioners have elided some of the more unpleasant details, I’m sure :)) of how we can work to support each others’ endeavors. Ultimately, that is what I believe is most important: supporting each other in positive endeavors, which will lead to tangible and lasting effects, rather than pursuing an admittedly more nebulous and less clearly fruitful goal of “representing” our race.</p>

<p>However, it seems that we are somewhat in agreement upon the effects we need to see; the bone of our contention lies more so in discrepancies in belief on how they should be achieved.</p>

<p>As always, I look forward to what will surely be an analytical and probing response.</p>

<p>

I agree with you. When I first moved here I remember the days when I tried to distinguish myself from stereotypes. It gets annoying when everyone somehow assumes that you’re fan of rap music. I guess that’s how the media portrays us since rap music is actually quite popular. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Definitely, how we see ourselves matters a great deal. It seems that others don’t believe that they are capable of achieving great feats. I believe that what distinguishes the people on this forum is that they know the value of education and understand the reasons for pursuing it. I also like that we all don’t necessarily try to conform with each other. Although we’ve gone through similar experiences, those experiences have influenced us in different ways. At the same time, those experiences have helped us to relate to one another. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Here is another good point that you made. It’s better for us to support each other than to become “ambassadors” for each other. I don’t think that it will make much of a difference if we try to “represent” each other since everyone is a different individual.</p>

<p>Afro Denial and Ethono-ambiguo Hostility Syndrome<br>
(hope no one takes offense!)
[Afro</a> Denial Nappturology 101](<a href=“http://nappyme.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/afro-denial-and-ethono-ambiguo-hostility-syndrome-got-that/]Afro”>Afro Denial | Nappturology 101)</p>

<p>^No offense taken at all. That comic strip speaks the truth about many of the current dividing issues in the African Diaspora that I’ve had the displeasure of seeing (and experiencing) myself. As I’ve recently transitioned from relaxed hair to an afro, I’ve been on the receiving end of some less-than-charitable comments; it’s a shame so many of our brethren have issues with what naturally grows out of their head.</p>

<p>Questionnnnnn</p>

<p>Although I really, really do love Howard…</p>

<p>…do you think it’s okay for me to go there (if, say i get admitted)…even though i look a bit mixed/racially ambiguous? Kinda a bit…south asian-ish (like Indian?)[can blame recessive genes?] lol…</p>

<p>…would i be able to still fit in? (i typically have no problem with this,. but just wondering…).</p>

<p>I still consider myself black though…hahaha</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Who on earth put it into your head that you had to be a certain race or look a certain way to go to any institution?</p>

<p>As for “fitting in,” I’m certain that you’d be able to find a group of individuals to form your nucleus of friends for four years.</p>

<p>I think you can fit into anywhere you like. My sister went to Spelman and there she encountered many other ethnicities besides women that are strictly of African American/African descent. </p>

<p>Moreover, I don’t think historically black colleges are looking for people that are exclusively black, I think its more of a cultural thing.</p>

<p>Ksarmand, apologies for such a delayed response.</p>

<p>However you’ve made some very reputable points in your argument. Your first statement regarding having been referred to as a “baby mama”, is completely atrocious, and I take similar offense upon individuals assuming I can only engage in basketball simply because I’m of tall stature… why not modeling or dance? </p>

<p>It is a fact that while we have the ability to serve as archetypes on an individual basis, I continue to stand by my views of abandoning such preconceived notions as a unity. When the time comes that we are appropriately able to serve as an honorable example for others within our race individually, perhaps then others, such as yourself shall feel it necessary to rise as a whole. Yet until then it seems as though while we have reached a consensus concerning some points… we shall remain on separate sides of the fence on others.</p>

<p>And of course! You’d be welcome amongst the students of Howard. The purpose of HBCU’s are not to exclude any such appearence, ethnicity or culture, but simply to establish such culture of those of African American heritage (which some may lack prior to attendance) Go and enjoy yourself! Good luck!</p>