Why didn't you apply to a HBCU?

<p>So Im just going to answer the question, why you didnt apply to an HBCU?</p>

<p>My highschool was predominately black and I wanted a culture shock because I felt that it would mature me. Im a psychology major and I wanted to find the best schools for my major. And as a gay male I actually felt as though I would be more accepted at a PWI as opposed to a HBCU. Im not saying that blacks aren’t tolerant but just speaking from past experiences, I felt that I would be more comfortable at a PWI. And after finishing my first year, I do not regret my decision whatso ever.</p>

<p>I didnt apply to any because:
-most of them were too far. I live in Florida and the closest ones were FAMU and Spelman, and none of those interested me
-I needed more diversity. Coming from a predominatly black and hispanic high school and attending middle school and elementary in the same enviroment, I also wanted a culture shock.
-not enough pretige. The most pretige HBCU is Howard and that, of course, was too far.
-Most HBCU are underfunded compared to PWIs.
-HBCU admission rate are too high and their graduation rate are too low for my liking.</p>

<p>When it come down to it, its all about preference. My college is pretty diverse compared to other PWIs and I feel like I can grow as a strong black woman while meeting other people from different race and color.</p>

<p>Also, the reason I didnt apply to FAMU was because HALF of my class apply, they ALL got in, the MAJORY are going there, and MOST of these students are the one I dont care for/like.</p>

<p>Just my 2 cent</p>

<p>I applied to one. I didn’t give it a lot of consideration though because I know I’ll be more comfortable in a diverse learning environment.</p>

<p>I applied to Spelman and Xavier, but I didn’t go. I come from a city that is about 95% black. I didn’t want to go to a school with very little diversity.</p>

<p>Jackson State University A serious school for students who want to move forward in life. this school is no cake walk></p>

<p>I want to apply to an HBCU ( Howard)
but my parents hate HBCUs, they keep saying there are too many black people there.</p>

<p>^ My parents don’t like them either. They don’t think that the level of education at hbcu’s are that great. I agree. The average test score and gpa’s range is a bit low. I would rather save my applications to less rigorous schools for state schools.</p>

<p>HBCU’s just aren’t for me. I was seriously considering Spelman for a bit, but I could not bring myself to finish the application. </p>

<p>A part of it was just the absolute dread of being pigeonholed into an atmosphere I’d never been around. However, I also feared the level of prestige at these schools just would not accommodate what I’d always dreamed of…No offense to anyone who attends or will attend one! I just can’t see it happening for me.</p>

<p>MTE. All of what you said here applies to me. </p>

<p>I also don’t think the academics would be on par with what I know I can handle. I don’t want to be in classes with people who scored 400s and 500s on their SATs when I successfully self-studied for three AP exams. Any school that offers credit or advance placement for 3s I won’t bother with.</p>

<p>Any white students on here go to HBCUs? I am white but am thinking of applying to a couple of HBCUs near me, specifically NC A&T or NC Central as they both have the majors that I have been looking at and A&T I have heard tons of good things about.</p>

<p>Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, I just saw that this topic seemed to cover alot of the things that I had been wondering about HBCUs and figured i’d give it a shot and see if anyone could answer!</p>

<p>I’ve been accepted to both Xavier, and Morehouse college. One thing I do wish is that they would have better funding but I’m really excited about the experiences I am about to have. Still have to decide which school I will attend first.</p>

<p>TheMXT, there were plenty of white students in my medical school class at HU.</p>

<p>I really liked A&T even more so then UNCG primarily because the admissions staff at A&T we’re way more polite and helpful then UNCG’s for the most part…maybe I am just unlucky with who i’ve dealt with at UNCG, but they have given me the run around while A&T and WSSU (the 2 HBCUs I ended up applying to) have been nothing but helpful.</p>

<p>I feel like if I’m going to be thrust into a majority white atmosphere after I graduate from college anyway, I better get used to it now. I also like a school to have diversity. I feel that having a mash of different cultures in a school would not only educate me about different people but would make me more cultured as a person. For me, I feel like being around the same type of people all the time would get redundant. However, I fully understand that there are plenty of other races at most HBCUs. Its just not for me. Me being a child of African immigrants anyway, I was never immersed in Black American culture enough to completely fit in. I identified with it more than whites and other cultures, but my upbringing was nevertheless different from most Black Americans.</p>

<p>i want to meet people of all types of races: indian, caucasian, latino, europeans, you know ?
also, I’ve always lived around white people, even when I lived in the bronx. so suddenly being thrown into a school with only black people (or predominately black), would have taken a lot of getting used to. most of my friends are from different races anyway. and i want more diversity.</p>

<p>I’m looking at a few HBCUs (Howard & NC A&T). </p>

<p>It’s funny. I’m reading that a lot of people aren’t going because they’ve grown up in a predominantly white environment and would feel out of place at an HBCU. While I’m not saying that can’t be true, I think it is a little weird that you would be more comfortable in a predominantly white environment vs. an HBCU. </p>

<p>Currently, I’m a junior in H.S. and go to a predominantly white prep school. I am friends with all races represented here: white, asian, latino & black. You would think that I’d be closer friends with the white students & more comfortable with them vs. the black students due to my surroundings, since I’ve been raised in this kind of environment, but all of my best friends are black and I feel most comfortable with them. They understand me most as far as how my parents are, musical interests, and aren’t likely to blurt something ignorant in regards to race/ethnicity. But, that’s just me. I know it may be different for someone else. </p>

<p>I am actually looking at PWI, primarily those in the south and I know my friends are also looking into PWI schools (in the north, CA, etc.) and I guess I don’t see how being raised in a predominantly white place/environment would make you feel more comfortable, especially as you’d be the minority in college. I’m not trying to knock anyone’s feelings, just don’t really get it.</p>

<p>If it has to do with ‘culture’ and interests, black people as well as all races, have many different interests so that notion kind of doesn’t make sense either. As far as diversity, I can sort of understand that, but once again, diversity isn’t strictly about race-- it can be about ethnic backgrounds, nationalities, interests, hobbies, height, weight and so on. HBCUs are actually rather diverse despite what most people think. I know that at Howard, they have quite a few white/non-black students. I go to the homecoming every year (my mom did undergrad there) and see a lot of them…</p>

<p>LOL, like I said, I’m not trying to knock someone’s college preferences, I was just adding my own .02!</p>

<p>Nothing against HBCU’s, but I honestly can’t see myself ever attending. Not in this lifetime.
A girl in one of my classes tried to make me feel guilty for being black and not applying to an HBCU. I love my people, so don’t get me wrong, but not a single HBCU interested me so I didn’t apply.</p>

<p>I will, however, stop by Howard every now and then. I hear it’s live. :)</p>