Why didn't you apply to a HBCU?

<p>LadyT-Thanks for the info! Yea, I heard they have a good pharmacy program, i'm looking into their biomedical engineering program, heard it's good too. I totally agree with you on the black men thing! I don't know I just don't have any physical attraction to any other race whatsoever. My parent's want me to marry a Haitian man but there's no way that's happening (Lol). I told them I want a black man, any caribbean heritage, or even just black american, just not Haitian (lol). I also do think that I can find a nice black man at an HBCU definetly. Especially since Im going into med school but will be studying engineering as an undergrad! I know I will definetly meet some intelligent black men while studying, although that's not my main focus of course : )</p>

<p>Silvermoonlock- Ooo, that's cool. Thanks for commenting anyway!</p>

<p>p.s. Shrinkrap- om-goodness! I can't believe they were...that's sad : (</p>

<p>i wanna pledge!! (:
but i think the finances to support me is too much for me right now. :(</p>

<p>Dbate: thanks for replying. I think I get what you meant now. </p>

<p>Anyway, my mom was a Delta, and I'm pretty sure that if I pledge I'll definitely pledge delta. I mean, pink and green? Were they colorblind?!?</p>

<p>^Oh no she didn't!!!!! Surely you must know "we" aren't supposed to wear red!</p>

<p>Too easy to get into,
I know a total ghetto brain dead girl who has below ok grades in the lowest rigor courses our school gives (she also talks aaaa looot.), with about a 1300</p>

<p>and she was accepted to Howard..
I dont want to be around people like that in college, hence I didnt apply.</p>

<p>Then again, thats the only thing i know about the school</p>

<p>A very interesting discussion. Pardon me for asking a historical question here. How has Fisk interacted with Vanderbilt over the years as both colleges developed in the city of Nashville, Tennessee? I've heard about Fisk ever since I was a kid (probably since before I heard about Vanderbilt, actually), and I note that Vanderbilt seems to enroll a large percentage of black students who have some impressive credentials, so it looks like Vanderbilt has a strong draw these days.</p>

<p>My mom was a Zeta Phi Beta, not an AKA. But in our area it seems that AKAs are the most prevalent group. </p>

<p>@LadyT, I am absolutely sure that we would get along fine in person, the best conversations I ever have are between smart black ppl and I am hoping there will be alot of them in college. :) </p>

<p>I wonder what I should pledge? Or if I should pledge at all, what suggestions do y'all have?</p>

<p>^Delta Sigma Theta, lol.</p>

<p>To answer the OP's question:
...because I wanted to spend my undergrad in or around Boston.</p>

<p>I would be open to going to an HBCU for grad though. So long as it has a strong Master's program, I'm all for it.</p>

<p>I didn't because I'm an elitist. Also, because my sister had a VERY different experience at Spelman than the one I wish have.</p>

<p>eatingfood- forreal? Like was it bad for her, or she just had a different impression of the school while there? I like it but only based on the couple students I met, pictures, and viewbooks they sent me. If I get in I'm definetly visiting but, I don't want to be unhappy there! Lol, especially since I've never been to the south before. Closest thing to the south I've been is Little Haiti in florida. Lol, & that was 2 yrs ago. </p>

<p>randomgrandeur- I love in boston! The thing that stinks is I can't really leave either. How do you explain to your parents that you want to leave the best state known for its colleges & universities worldwide, to go the south? They don't think it makes sense. Lol. I want to go somewhere different..I'm tired of the below. Zero weather lol. I mean Boston is great don't get me wrong, I just hate the cold! Most of the colleges I applied to are in boston. Which schools did you apply to?</p>

<p>My parents are the same way! Im from Ghana and all they know are the top schools so when i mention schools like Howard my mom makes a face as if she wouldnt be proud if i went to a black school. My father allowed me to apply to Howard only because it was the top black school and it was merely a back up.</p>

<p>superwoman- HBCU's like Spelman are not "the south" that people mention with disdain and images of country, ignorant people and the like. I have yet to visit Spelman and wish that I will have the oppurtunity to (because I got in : ] ) but I highly doubt it will be what I know little haiti, and some areas of Florida, to be. I do not know you so i cannot say if you will be happy there but do not count Spelman out because it's in the ATL. I do share your concern with fitting in, not because I do not get along with black kids, but because I also had a Haitian upbringing and there can be a stark difference. I honestly believe that there will be a variety of personalities and backgrounds at an HBCU like Spelman.</p>

<p>eating food- I second superwoman's inquiry.</p>

<p>"Walter Allen reported that black students who attend HBCUs have better academic performance, greater social involvement, and higher occupational aspirations than black students who attend PWIs."</p>

<p>I also do not agree with this statement. IF HBCUs are so great, then why are the graduation rates significantly lower than that of PWI's? Personally I see the advantages listed earlier do not outweigh the disadvantages: low graduation rates, small endowments, lack of diversity (Yes there are Asians, whites, and Latinos, but very few. I am not saying that all black people are the same, but most HBCU's are made up of African Americans, while the school I attend (UChicago) and other top schools have diversity within the black community (students from Africa and the Caribbean) and of course diversity outside of the group. I think this is because immigrants and children immigrants strive for the best generally because they want to achieve the "American" dream, which equals attending a fairly prestigious school (Not just HYP, but basically top 100). The top schools have higher graduation rates, bigger endowments, so more opportunities for study abroad, etc. Also have anyone else noticed that no HBCU (even top ones like Howard and Spelman) are ranked in the Top 100? Why is that the case? Of course, rankings are not everything, but why attend a school that is struggling with funding when other ones are at reach to us? HBCU's were created because U.S.blacks were excluded from higher education. But now we are not, so I find it really hard to understand why people attend them. I guess because I was not born in the US and (Nigeria) neither were my parents, and since we came here for opportunity, I was always told to strive for the best. </p>

<p>I also went to a pretty diverse high school, so I wanted to continue that trend, and sadly HBCU's do not offer that. For example during Winter and Spring quarters we have cultural shows where, every cultural RSO has a show. I have attended the Korean and Chinese shows and learned so much about both cultures through song, dance, and drama. I am really looking forward to the rest of them. I have made friends with people who from all over the world and know that in any career you have to learn to interact with people from different backgrounds.</p>

<p>"I was thinking about that too. The guys are my school aren't into the interracial thing whatsoever, they view me as the "thick girl" but they have no interest. It does annoy me that certain items of clothing I can't wear because of my shape. For example, I'm on the Mock Trial Team and as an opening and closing speaker I have to dress nicely, which entails me wearing a skirt suit. All of my skirts are tight around my hips because I have a curvy shape, my teacher on the other hand doesn't understand this and so she comments that I should wear more appropriate clothing for the court. I understand this isn't her fault but comments like these are also always made by the males in my class. I always have to watch what I'm wearing because while a white girl can wear a short skirt and have a shirt with cleavage showing, if I were ever to attempt the same outfit (which I have tried before), they would ask me to change. So, I feel like in an HBCU I can definetly dress whichever way I want without being concerned about how my big my hips, thighs, and butt will look in this outfit, which to me is ridiculous."</p>

<p>Well I can't speak for your school but there's no way that all the White girls that attend are stick thin. In my school, there are plently of White girls that are way curvier than I and the three skinniest girls in my class are either Black or Latino... I do know where they're coming from though. I'm not skinny but average. 5'4, 120, run of the mill BMI so I don't think that I should wear leggings alone or short skirts. It doesn't seem right, while girls that are tinnier tend to pull it off, probably because some of them look more like children and can get away with it though... Wear whatever you know you look nice in. I'm sure you're a much better judge of it then some teacher whos probably way older. I'm sure you dressed just fine for Mock Trial.</p>

<p>You seem to have really strict Haitian parents. Mine trust me most of the time so they haven't been to hard on me when I go out. if you go far away to college it should be a huge change.</p>

<p>I didn't mean to imply that my sister had a bad experience at Spelman!</p>

<p>I'm just a bit more into diversity.</p>

<p>superwoman--</p>

<p>I grew up as a military brat but I've called the southern region of the US home for quite some time. Although I love my family, I cannot stay in one place for too long. I get antsy so I applied to only Northeastern & BC. </p>

<p>I didn't even wait for my parents approval. I just did it. I knew if I had applied to any in-state schools, the scholarship money would be amazing, but I couldn't risk having that option. I did not want to be an in-state resident at all LOL.</p>

<p>panicpower- yea that's true. ATL seems like the place to be if anyones in Georgia lol. I can't wait to go visit !</p>

<p>Dreamingoutloud- Yea that's totally true! But I did look great for that Mock Trial Event ! Lol, I had my favorite red pumps on to add to my black suit ! : )</p>

<p>eatingfood- ooo, I see, sorry I misinterpreted !</p>

<p>randomgrandeur- I applied both places too ! Yay for BC for attracting us both lol. I love that school. Have you visited yet?</p>

<p>panicpower- yea that's true. ATL seems like the place to be if anyones in Georgia lol. I can't wait to go visit !</p>

<p>Dreamingoutloud- Yea that's totally true! But I did look great for that Mock Trial Event ! Lol, I had my favorite red pumps on to add to my black suit ! : )</p>

<p>eatingfood- ooo, I see, sorry I misinterpreted !</p>

<p>randomgrandeur- I applied both places too ! Yay for BC for attracting us both lol. I love that school. Have you visited yet?</p>

<p>superwoman--</p>

<p>Walking in May, yes! ...and hopefully moving to Chicago in July. See, I can't stay in one place lol.</p>

<p>The</a> Associated Press: Economic woes test historically black colleges</p>