Why didn't you apply to a HBCU?

<p>haha, yea me too ! i dont know, im never satisfied lol. hey, it happens !</p>

<p>tokenadult- i just read that article...thats really sad, this economy is killing everything this year. wow ! the year i graduate..hopefully, things will get better because they seem to be getting worse!</p>

<p>Wow, Ncsstudent..
haha my parents are the same.
My dad is like....Carnigie Mellon, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame...
Why dont you apply to good schools, Ivies like HYP?</p>

<p>roblan- I totally get where your coming from! That's mostly why I didn't apply to Carnegie Mellon : ( for biomedical engineering. Ugh! I'm just glad I didn't give in and applied to any schools like HYPs except for Brown, which they still didn't seem satisfied with ! But then again they can't complain because they've never even seen an application before, I did everything by myself. They didn't even have to pay any application fees so they know they couldn't argue it out with me. : ) Where else did you apply?</p>

<p>superwoman, I'm so glad i found another Haitian on this board (phew). i wonder how many Haitians are at HBCU's and the Ivy league. Also i feel the same way u do as well because i go to a Jewish private school and am the only Haitian in the whole school. i used to be in an all black environment before going to private school but now i'm almost always surrounded by white people. I love my friends and have come to accept myself for who I am, an intelligent, unique black man, nd i think that's a good way to for an African American in our situations to view themselves as well.</p>

<p>Yay for Haitians ! I'm wondering the same thing too. Yea, I completely agree! My parents forced me to go because my previous middle school was dangerous (ie. fights everyday and I was attacked by this girl so I had to defend myself and I ended up at juvenile court). I hated my parents for it but, they were doing the best thing at the time, my experiences here have definetly opened my eyes to how I will be viewed as an African American even though I'm Haitian. I get so tired of students at my school saying "yo, waddup?" like I speak like that, but I'm always known at my predominantly white private school as the "smart black girl" and I'd rather it be that then anything else lol. I feel like being the only Haitian in my class has helped me to appreciate my culture, and certain things I love about being Haitian! Hopefully you know how to speak creole but, genden le mwen renmen pale kreole avec zanmim paske moun nan class mwen pap jamn konpran! lol. And I love bringing my favorite meal to school, (legume a sauce pwa sous mayi)</p>

<p>p.s. if you can't read creole sorry ! : (
I just had to do it, I love creole.</p>

<p>^Translation please! I'll translate; "Yo, Waddup?" (LOL).</p>

<p>hahaha, sorry ! well it wasnt anything serious. but i love your translating skills! : )</p>

<p>ki legume ou remnmen. mwen renmen diri a sauce pwa kole. epi mwen compron ki sa wap di. genyen le yo mandem poum pale nan creole paske yo vle tandem plae on lot langue. it's pretty funny.</p>

<p>omg, so do i ! yea, sa pasemn anpil fwa epi le yo sitelman mandem mwen di on frase en creole epi yo ri, yo toujou dim chak le map pale kreyol avec manmanm li sanble nou de a ap rele lol. nonsense, but its hard to explain what creole consists of, its so unlike any language i know . i speak spanish too, my uncle is fluent so when i speak to him in the house he expects me to respond in spanish lol..doesnt happen too much lol but its still cool to speak more then 3 languages. Have you been to Haiti yet ? i went last summer, i loved it but it was sad to see the poverty-stricken areas. i was raised there until i was seven, people at my school are suprised when i speak creole because i speak english so well but i think its hillarious that they assume i should have an accent. hah !</p>

<p>omg there are more haitians than i thought on CC and superwoman i was with you til you said mayi. I do that too with my best haitian friend, the other one is chinese, I will just bust out in creole if i wanna clown someone or just if i'm bored. no one at my current school, a public school that is equally black and white, has ever known i was haitian unless i told them or they were haitian too. even though most of my classes have had about 5 black kids or less. it will be the same couple of black kids too, but i'm preaching to the choir.</p>

<p>hello franchize.</p>

<p>I couldn't see myself at a HBCU. I have nothing against them, it is just that I live for racial/cultural diversity. The core diversity present in the African-American community is economic. One's economic status then determines any other differences. This is not enough to get me interested. I have seen both sides; I have lived in a ghetto and I have lived in a suburb.</p>

<p>panicpower- sorry, i get carried away ! lol . yea, there are alot of haitians on CC suprisingly. do you think being Haitian has stopped you from considering HBCU's strongly ? i think, thats probably my main reason for only applying to one .</p>

<p>actually it has not, i'm very used to having the blacks around me not be haitian. i find that there are three types of haitians: those that are speaking creole alot and are very hooked up to the culture (like my cousins), those that were born in the US but are still very in the culture and speaking and writing creole (you may fall here and some of my friends do too), and there is my type which is the most americanized. my creole is shoddy, i cant write it, i dont know french, but i still love the culture. I cant live without the food, i can rock to some kompa, and i enjoy speaking when i can yet I dont feel like i'm where i should be. I think the stats for Haitians at any school would be low.</p>

<p>I still get hung up on the perceptions that going to Spelman over say Emory holds. I keep thinking "would that be the best choice?" it already appears to be an uphill battle in a society that is not my own.</p>

<p>Yea, i was hung up on that too, but i guess its what you make of it. I wanted to major in biomedical engineering at Georgia Tech but i also want to get an MD/PHD degree in Molecular Biology at Harvard Med School. Spelman has a great science program and a great way of getting women involved in the sciences and in those fields underrepresented by blacks women. I am so used to an all womens environment and the sisterhood that naturally forms among intelligent women; thats the kind of environment i wanted to be at for the next four years of my life. Although Georgia Tech is known for its engineering programs, and Emory is also a great school it all depends on what kind of environment you would see yourself at. I for once in my life would like a change of scenery from being the minority in my school to the majority, its not something Im used to, to be surrounded by intelligent black women, that would be my reasoning in not choosing Georgia Tech over Spelman. Ya dig ? hehe. my favorite phrase ! Its the ultimate nonseclator statement . lol . i dont think i spelled that right. sorry if i didnt ! : )</p>

<p>lol it's ok i cant remember what a non sequitor ( that's how i spell it, i think i'm wrong too, lol) is. what is pulling me to Spelman is the fact that I will be surrouned by packs of intelligent women. also the education no matter how it is perceived by others is pretty awesome. while they do have a bigger sampling size to work with, the numbers of women they are getting to med school and the research potential with morehouse med school in the area and all the other facilities that i know atlanta has is a plus. whatever perceptions people have the resume i present would undoubtable beat them back. no matter what i say though i keep coming back to thoughts of Spelman so i guess that says something. i see myself with the basic biology major with a minor in anthropology/sociology (probably one minor or the other because the load would be serious business) with the intention of being a pediatrician. i must give you a hand for your own chosen path, that is no joke.</p>

<p>haha, yea, im going to be in school for a very long time ! The thing was when i was thinking about what I wanted to be, I always said pediatrician but whats going to happen at the end of my day when Im not working, I want to live science (even though that sounds a little corny and nerdy ) lol. i love science ! So the chance for me to be a doctor and help patients, but also have the opportunity to help with the advancement in research that will one day benefit my patients is a wonderful feeling for me. I definetly love children which was the reason I chose to be a pediatrician, I want to make discoveries and to help individuals overcome health obstacles . woosh, sorry I went on talking, i get carried away when im talking about things Im passionate about . (eww, double word sentence ! )</p>

<p>ps. yay, im doing biology too ! Im thinking of minoring in Art . I know, very random, but I love drawing and painting, I just never considered it for a career, I think at spelman I would definetly have the opportunity to explore my art more outside of my academic life . Anthropology, thats cool, I read a description about that because my best friend, hes interested in being an anthropologist, its pretty interesting but alot of social history involved ! I hate history ! lol, im more of a science and math buff.</p>

<p>i couldnt do research because I know the chemistry would knock a sister down. i'm not going to knock your minor, i personally think anthro and bio is a odd mix but i really enjoy them both. zora neale hurston with her books and her story really got me hooked on anthro though. i found out she was one and she based some of her books on her experiences in the west indies and northern florida and i was like: "I want that!". i really enjoy history it wouldnt be a problem. finding out about the histories of a culture and to really get into the mindset of a group of people. sweet stuff. science has me because of the logic of it and how complex all of it can be. like the process that have to go on just to convert the air you breathe in into atp and energy. wow! then to go and apply that to a living person and help them live a healthy life. makes me smile.</p>

<p>Yea, the joy of helping others ! Can never replace that..damn, youre my new best friend ! lol, where r you from again ? Im from Boston, hate the cold weather but you learn to live with it lol.</p>

<p>p.s. Zora Neale Hurston, very intelligent women, shes one of my idols, including Oprah of course, oOo and I could not forget about Dr. Maya Angelou, that womens writing is inspirational!</p>

<p>koolmaria139: obviously that study was talking about those that actually finish at their respective hbcu. That is why it was based off of what employers thought. For them to have been employed in the fields they intended they would have graduated. </p>

<p>More data for proof
"Over half of all African American professionals are graduates of HBCUs.
Nine of the top ten colleges that graduate the most African Americans who go on to earn Ph.D.s are HBCUs.
More than 50% of the nation’s African American public school teachers and 70% of African American dentists earned degrees at HBCUs.
UNCF members Spelman College and Bennett College produce over half of the nation’s African American female doctorates in all science fields."</p>

<p>"As ranked by Black Enterprise in 2003, seven of the top ten “Top Colleges and Universities for African Americans,” including the top six, were HBCUs.
HBCU Xavier University is #1 nationally in placing African-Americans into medical school.
The first Time Magazine/ Princeton Review College of the Year, Florida A&M University, is an HBCU. It is the #1 producer of African Americans with baccalaureate degrees.
Tuskeegee University is the only college ever to be designated a national historic site by the U.S. Congress."</p>

<p>"Seven of the top eight producers of African-American baccalaureates overall were HBCUs, including #1 Florida A&M University and #2 Howard University.
Eight of the top eleven producers of African American baccalaureates in agriculture, agriculture operations and related sciences were HBCUs, including #1 Tennessee State University and #3 Tuskegee University.
Sixteen of the top 21 producers of African American baccalaureates in biological and biomedical sciences were HBCUs, including the entire top six (Xavier University of LA (#1), Hampton University (#2), Howard University (#3), Morgan State University (#4), Jackson State University (#5) and Tennessee State University (#6).
Six of the top ten producers of African American baccalaureates in education were HBCUs, including #1 Alabama State University." </p>

<p>"Seven of the top eleven producers of African American baccalaureates in engineering were HBCUs, including #1 North Carolina A&T State University.
The top three producers of African American baccalaureates in health professions (#1 Southern University and A&M College, #2 Florida A&M University and #3 Howard University) were HBCUs.
Eight of the top nine producers of African American baccalaureates in mathematics and statistics were HBCUs: #1 Morehouse College, #2 South Carolina State University #3 Alabama State University, #3 Spelman College, #5Southern University and A&M College, #6 Tennessee StateUnversity, #7 Hampton University and #9 Howard University.
The twelve top producers of African American baccalaureates in the physical sciences, including #1 Xavier University of Louisiana, were all HBCUs.
Three of the top five producers of African American baccalaureates in psychology were HBCUs: #1 Florida A&M University, #3 Hampton University and #5 Howard University." </p>

<p>Link: [url=<a href="http://www.uncf.org/aboutus/hbcus.asp%5DUNCF%5B/url"&gt;http://www.uncf.org/aboutus/hbcus.asp]UNCF[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>A part of their reason for lower graduation rates is that hbcu's, even the top ones, have a tendency to accept students who may not have been accepted to other colleges. While not all of these students succeed some do. Most of the lower rentention rate is first year weeding out where those who didn't really want to work hard do end up leaving. That doesn't fully show the success of hbcu's however because the success is the future result. I believe that the above quoted information proves the success of top hbcus.</p>