Why didn't you apply to a HBCU?

<p>"but I wouldn't want the experience for my daughters. No way. It's a male environment, if you know what I mean. A black male environment."</p>

<p>Interesting perspective. I guess I can see your point, but I don't see it that way (Howard '80, '84).</p>

<p>I don't know what is meant by a Black male environment.</p>

<p>Howard is running majority female...but whatever.</p>

<p>"Howard is running majority female..."</p>

<p>I think that's what he means.... if you know what I mean...</p>

<p>I'm going to visit Howard this weekend!
I figured this would be a good place to share the news :]</p>

<p>And if I like the trip, I might commit to HU (despite the fact that I haven't heard back from Stanford or Brown)</p>

<p>^I'd be curious about that decision process. Care to share?</p>

<p>Have fun on your Howard visit, 2legit2quit, hope you have a great time :) I have never been, I'm curious to hear how your visit goes, if you don't mind sharing.</p>

<p>Because I'm a national achievement finalist I am getting full tuition, room and board, as well as a book stipend. I've also gotten another seperate 2,500 scholarship!</p>

<p>I have gone to visit four schools already (U of Arizona, WashU, Rice, and Oberlin) and I have loved all four of them. I feel like I'm the kind of person that can be happy regardless of where I go to school, which probably explains why I don't have a clear top choice. Thus, I figure if I at least half way like Howard...I will be happy going there. With the economy how it is, my father is afraid of being laid off. Even if the economy wasn't in its current state, part of me would feel so guilty for turning down a full ride. No school is going to be perfect for me, I've come to accept that. I'm not the kind of person who falls head over heels in love with an idea or a place and cannot bear to have things any other way. I guess I'm more of a practical person than a dream chaser.</p>

<p>Howard is the most practical choice for me. I feel like the HBCU experience would really allow me to grow not only as a black woman, but as an individual, moreso than a PWI.</p>

<p>2legit, my daughter took advantage of the Laureate Scholar Program at Howard. Of course, I can only speak for her, but she loves it there. </p>

<p>She was pretty sure she'd like it, but the Weekend at the Mecca nailed it. She has had assorted opportunities that have come with the Laureate Scholar Program (this past weekend was a trip to New York, which included seeing Jesse Norman). She is also in the Honor's program which has opened even more doors and more perks. She is enjoying being around smart, motivated Black people. And to whoever mentioned the level of conservatism (is that a word?) at HBCU's, it exists, but so do conversations and a healthy exchange of ideas and debate.</p>

<p>Of course, Howard or other HBCU's aren't for everyone. A visit helps tremendously. Good luck on your decision.</p>

<p>2legit2quit- I feel the same! Amen sister friend, for Spelman of course. I feel I can definetly grow into a confident/very intelligent woman in the medical field after graduating from Spelman (that is, if I get in(?)). It was my safety at first but I quickly noticed it's very competitive, today I have an interview, wish me luck! I'm kind of nervous because I heard it might be used as consideration for the honors program/scholarship money...I'm excited!..but a little nervous. Anyway, good luck! And Congrats on the national achievement, that's a big accomplishment!</p>

<p>p.s. I got a $2, 500 scholarship too! It was the Lucille Miller Wright National Girls Incorporated Scholarship. :)</p>

<p>superwoman- Oh good luck at your interview!!! I hope you nail it :]</p>

<p>silvermoon- That is great to hear! I've heard wonderful things about the Laurete Scholar Program (which I would be apart of) and the honors program in general. Is she planning on studying abroad? On the scholarship letter I recieved it seemed as though scholarship might transfer to some study abroad programs, which would be amazing! Even if not, though, I would like to hear if you or your daughter has anything to say about study abroad at HU.</p>

<p>2legit2quit- Thanks! It went very well and it didn't last that long. So now I wait! :)
hopefully I get some scholarship money!</p>

<p>2legit..</p>

<p>Funny you should mention Study Abroad. That was one of the things that hooked her. This is a young lady who wanted (and received) a passport for her birthday - lol. She is planning on one of the trips after her sophmore year. As far as I can tell this summer they will have programs that go to South Africa, The Domincan Republic, Egypt, Italy, Tanzania, Jamaica and Spain. The Honors Program does assist with some funding for the program. I'm sure we'll find out more in the fall.</p>

<p>This spring, she is taking advantage of the Alternative Spring Break. The cities tagetted are New Orleans, Chicago and Detroit.</p>

<p>If you are a Laureate Scholar, chances are, you will be invited to the Honors Program.</p>

<p>As a parent, I have been pleased with her experiences at Howard. How exciting it was for her to be there during the election and inaguaration. She had the opportunity to volunteer for the activities and ended up being assigned to the Childrens Concert. She was in the area near Mrs. Obama and her daughters.</p>

<p>And as an aside for my "stacked" young sisters, Howard is hilly. The kid has lost some of the hips from the walking. So much for the Freshman 15. : )</p>

<p>Because the Black Americans I have come into contact with think they are better than Africans. I have also seen several documentaries and heard many testimonies about HBCU's and I haven't been impressed with the atmosphere, especially after being in a all-Black district for a long time. Ultimately, it's just to much of a homogeneous environment for my taste.</p>

<p>What school is that?
Obviously, I didn't even know about it...</p>

<p>XD</p>

<p>not really into the south. totally different social scene than what i am used to or want.
and to be honest i don't like being around a lot of black people... hate it about as much as i do being in a large white setting.</p>

<p>haha, all HBCU's are not in the south.</p>

<p>lol the first hbcu's weren't even in the south. they started up north. Howard, Lincoln, Uof DC, cheyney and a few others are up north.</p>

<p>I did not apply to a HBCU b/c there is not 1 n IL. I really wanted 2 stay in my home state. The college I've choosen might as well be a HBCU lol. If there was 1 in IL i would have definitely applied. I love the aura that HBCUs bring about themselves. It gives me great pride even though im not attending 1 or close to 1.</p>

<p>I see a lot of apples to oranges comparisons on this thread. Since HBCUs are mainly black, doesn't it stand to reason that they send more black kids to med schools, ivy and top tier grad schools etc?If a school is mostly black wouldn't most of the 4.0 kids/school leaders/ super students be black? Anything otherwise would be a problem.
I go to a top 5 school and didn't consider HBCUs, sadly, bc of status/appearance. I went to a northeast prep school and those schools weren't even on the radar. Not only because there were almost no black kids at the school but bc they were unfortunately considered a tier below my hs which routinely sends 30-40% of its seniors to ivy/top ten schools. I heard black kids at ivys say they spent semesters at HBCUs to party and boost their GPAs!
Its unfortunate but perception matters as much as reality does. I thought I'd never get a good job if recruiters thought HBCUs weren't serious. Plus my big brother had a terrible experience applying to HBCU's (no finaid, very late or no notifications on his app status etc.)</p>

<p>I currently attend a HBCU: Florida A&M.</p>

<p>I was raised in a predominately white area... I was always the only black girl in my classes.</p>

<p>I sort of like the HBCU experience because I'm not a minority anymore plus in my classes, I meet all different types of black people. But since it's a public HBCU... you have a bit more ghetto people than you usually would have for instance at Hampton, Spelman/Morehouse, or Hampton. Plus the funding really gets me. My school is right next to Florida State and it sucks seeing how much better their campus is and such.</p>

<p>I even hate FAMU to an extent but I love it in the end because I know I will never get such an experience again in my lifetime.</p>

<p>I get what one of the previous posters said about FAMU being a black male environment. There's lots of partying, male revue parties... etc... it's a crazy party school but granted, it's the largest HBCU as well as it's right next to FSU.</p>

<p>FAMU is also pretty academically easy... it's like high school if not a BIT easier. LOL... I'm in the honors program so I'm going to try to make things a bit harder for myself.</p>

<p>But yeah... I wouldn't necessarily recommend FAM if you wanted somewhere academically challenging... now if you like to party, want to be around blacks, and be a part of the hardest chapters of greek organizations... then come to FAM.</p>