Why didn't you apply to a HBCU?

<p>I didn't apply to a HBCU simply because I wanted to go to a college where I can experience diversity and meet people from different walks of life. I believe many HBCUs are good and offer excellent opportunities to African Americans, but it just wasn't my preference and I couldn't see myself in one.</p>

<p>sorry it took me so long to reply. junior year sucks. Yea I'm so surprised there is more than 1 Haitian on CC. I was starting to feel along here. But you know Haitians aren't known to go above and beyond in the classroom and academia in general so it's refreshing to see people like you guys. I don't think my creole writing is actually how it's supposed to be written but i just write phonetically. I'm in love with biology but i don't want to be a doctor after seeing a live kidney transplant. But i was considering going into business up until like last month when i had my meeting with my college counselor.</p>

<p>We actually had to read Gifted Hands as a lit book in 9th grade. That was one of my best years for lit.</p>

<p>o i see, well you should still explore business..my counselor is expecting me to get into most of my schools because im black. its so annoying, he would always suggest a school because they give money to bring diversity..i hope i dont get into a school because of that. Anyway, look into talking with someone whos in business, business has alot of things, if you love biology so much you could become a hospital administrator, or do something that is business-science incorporated. Im sure you'll figure it out! Funny thing is i want to be a medical scientist (doctor/researcher at the same time) and I pass out at the sight of someone else's blood lol, i'll get over that, im determined! I've always wanted to be a doctor, so a little thing like that definetly wont b in the way lol.</p>

<p>I am the opposite of most of you guys. I hope I can utilize my "blackness" to get into Princeton University. I need every boost I can get.</p>

<p>that certainly is different, but why if you get in because they something in you? Im sure you will be irritated when you tell another person you go to Princeton and they tell you the only reason you got in was because you were black...i would be furious if someone told me that. In that sense, it would stink to get in because of ur "blackness", but I do understand how you wouldnt mind the extra attention because you're black especially if the school is your first choice. I want to go to Brown BADLY, but I dont think my race will play a part at all, it wont help me lol. Thats just what I think, sorry i went on ranting..:)</p>

<p>thefranchize9: I went to see my career counselor once. lol She didn't help me too much, I guess because my mind was already made up. If you want to do business, try it. :) </p>

<p>superwoman: what study do you want to do research in? A medical researcher sounds cool. Seeing someone's blood after the first couple of times it gets better.</p>

<p>We had to read Gifted Hands for school and I actually hated it. It literally brought me to sleep numerous nights because he seemed to feel the need to let the story drag on and give to many details. </p>

<p>Boring.</p>

<p>His story was still amazing and inspiring, I just wasn't a fan of the way it was written.</p>

<p>"o i see, well you should still explore business..my counselor is expecting me to get into most of my schools because im black. its so annoying, he would always suggest a school because they give money to bring diversity..i hope i dont get into a school because of that. Anyway, look into talking with someone whos in business, business has alot of things, if you love biology so much you could become a hospital administrator, or do something that is business-science incorporated. Im sure you'll figure it out! Funny thing is i want to be a medical scientist (doctor/researcher at the same time) and I pass out at the sight of someone else's blood lol, i'll get over that, im determined! I've always wanted to be a doctor, so a little thing like that definetly wont b in the way lol."</p>

<p>You just have to try and desensitize yourself to it. It's just blood, it's not a big deal. If you keep thinking that and working with blood you should get over it really quickly. Many people have that same initial reaction but go on to be fine with it. I don't blame you though. I'm a vegetarian and hate even looking at meat but I'm dissecting a pig for Anatomy. It's disgusting but I know it's something I have to do if I even want to think about majoring in Bio.</p>

<p>BananaPop- i want to research the development of diseases in the endocrine system. Especially those diseases that are trigerred by hormones at a certain time. I want to investigate the cause of diseases that develop at specific times, I mean say you were healthy all your life and then all of a sudden a lump arises on your chest, i want to figure out a way of avoiding such tramatic changes in the body that trigger developments of diseases at the molecular stage. Idk...maybe ill change my mind, but thats what im interested in now.</p>

<p>Dreamingoutloud- Thanks! I do think I'll get over it, my parents think its a childish habit. lol, but yea, im dissecting a cat in anatomy, so gross, we're already down to the bone. Yea, im going to be dissecting alot in college.</p>

<p>superwoman: Wow! That sounds really cool. I think the endocrine system is pretty amazing system in general, and i think the onset of dieases, especailly like in the case that you are talking about is pretty interesting. </p>

<p>DreamingOutLoud and superwoman: The anatomy class at my school is dissecting a cat too! I think it is soo cool. I think they are just starting the cat though. I didnt have room for anatomy in my schedule this year, but I think I will get my fill of anatomy classes in college :D</p>

<p>yea, i kind of wished i didnt incorporate so much science in my couseload, lol, but i still have a variety..yea, college is going to be a bunch of lab partners after another lol. I cant wait! Im so eager to start my own research in college, hopefully i can help my professor's in their research ventures. :)</p>

<p>Researching seems like it is going to be really fun. I am actually considering AIDS research in college, I just don't know all the steps to get it started. I love lab partners. Being someone's lab partner is I think, one of the easiest ways to make new friends :D</p>

<p>For those of you who are familiar with HBCUs: My son is biracial (AA/Cauc) and he was not interested in applying. He loves being AA, loves Black culture but he gets tired of not being white enough for (some) white people and not black enough for (some) black people. (Even in the age of Barack Obama!) What do you think it would be like for a biracial person at an HBCU? (Obviously this is a very general question, just curious on your take)</p>

<p>HeartArt: I think that a biracial person would fit just fine at an HBCU. I think your son would be able to find his niche in an HBCU, just like he would at a PWI. Of course, it would depend on the person, but your son sounds that he would be comfortable at an HBCU, because he seems comfortable with himself.</p>

<p>I haven't been in that situation but I can definetly comment. A good friend of mine is biracial and she currently attends Howard University and is ending her second year there as we speak, she loves it there! I think your son would definetly fit in, in general my friend told me they didn't even know she was biracial until she brought it up. She said the all-black environment is really not forcing her to eradicate her "whiteness", she thinks she could be herself especially in an HBCU. I think the best experience your son can have at an HBCU is to appreciate his "black" side, but still have a connection with the fact that he is half and half. In addition to that, HBCU's aren't COMPLETELY black! Alot of students who attend HBCU's are sometimes minorities whom previously attended predominantly white high schools/private schools (aka. me!) I'm not used being around people that look like me, in terms of color, but also I'm not used to seeing intelligent african-american/minority women in general, so that was my primary reason in choosing Spelman. If your son doesn't feel he will "fit in" that's nonsense! Because my friends call me white all the time lol, and I know I'll find my type. (preppy girls of course) Whichever school you go to whether predominantly black or white, there is always a question of fitting in or not. That's my 2 cents! :)</p>

<p>p.s. sorry I went on ranting, I tried to provide you with my opinion in terms of your question.</p>

<p>Thanks BananaPop and superwoman! I think maybe I feel guilty I did not push the HBCU option more or insist on a visit. The experience of an HBCU sounds appealing and unique. He would definitely fit in, I am sure the atmosphere is very accepting. I am not biracial and it is not hard to guess that he is based on appearance. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles! In terms of acceptances, we are waiting on some reach schools, but to date he has many excellent options. </p>

<p>To all the young people on this site: You all sound like incredible people and I wish you the very best wherever you end up! Dream big!</p>

<p>Thank you! I wish the same for your son, good luck to him! :)</p>

<p>Thanks HeartArt :)! Your son sounds like he will do fine where ever he ends up!</p>

<p>My daughters are biracial. They've always gone to public schools in the suburbs, but 98% white public schools. They're puzzled about some aspects of so-called black culture (I'm black but not all that afro-centric myself, so i was a lousy teacher) and tend to be fearful of inner city blacks or any blacks who speak with inner city accents or the sing-song cadence of the inner city and black preachers. They've even asked me "why do some black people speak that way?"</p>

<p>I grew up in predominately black surroundings in the inner city, the opposite of my daughters. I also attended an HBCU (FAMU) for one year before transferring to a predominately white school in the north. I didn't leave because I hated it. I left for two reasons: Academically, it was too easy. I was C- student in high school. FAMU was the only college that accepted me. Perhaps I was a late bloomer, but I got straight A's my freshman year at FAMU. I went from 1.98/4.00 in high school to 4.0/4.0 at FAMU. I'd rather assume that I was a late bloomer than accept the premise that an HBCU was a lot easier than my ordinary, integrated public high school in a blue collar neighborhood. The other reason is that I was on my own financially. No financial aid, and my parents had nothing. By moving back home and commuting to college, I had free room and board, and I could get a car and work my way through school, which is exactly what I did. Frankly, I had a lot of fun at FAMU. It was my favorite year in undergrad, but I wouldn't want the experience for my daughters. No way. It's a male environment, if you know what I mean. A black male environment. I'd prefer to see my girls at Brown or Penn State than an HBCU. They won't be missing anything, as far as I'm concerned.</p>