Why I'm Thankful for My Rejection

It’s been months since I’ve visited CC. Two years ago, I was exactly where a lot of you are standing with boarding schools.

Right now is application season. You’re narrowing down your list, and I guarantee you that you’re applying to one of the “Ivies”. I can also guarantee you that you have your heart set on a single school.

The thing I tell shadow students at my boarding school when they ask me why I chose Saint James, my current school, over some of the better known schools, I’m frank.

The answer?

I didn’t get into any of them.

This is typically the time when the prospective applicant gets quiet, but it’s also where I don’t stop talking. Yes, I didn’t get in to any of the great boarding schools, the mini-Harvard’s and mini-Yale’s. It’s also here where I say I don’t regret applying to them, either.

The thing I drew most from my boarding school experience was something I learned after the rejection emails. I learned that there’s always going to be someone better than me at something. Obviously, I didn’t get in to these schools because someone smarter than me, more involved than me, and better at sports than me (or whatever else you can thing of) applied. And obviously, schools are going to admit the more interesting students to diversify their student body.

I learned this in the best possible way… through rejection. In acceptance to a boarding school, all of your hard work is paid off. In rejection from a boarding school, you learn that in the end, no matter how hard you worked, stuff doesn’t always swing your way.

I guess what I’ve been trying to say this entire article is, that while you’re beginning your applications, and stress becomes a factor, remember that not everything is about getting in.

Not. Everything. Is. About. Getting. In.

The most important life lesson I have learned thus far is that hard work sometimes doesn’t pay off, but that’s not an excuse to not work hard. So, work hard on your applications, show schools what you’re about. Maybe you’ll get in, but in other cases, maybe you won’t.

Last year, I sent an email to my top-choice boarding school interviewer. I thanked him for rejecting me with essentially what I wrote above and I told him how happy I was at my current school. I can’t say he’s gotten many of those emails before, and honestly, I’m proud that I could be one of the few.

In summation, don’t be scared of rejection. You’ll learn more quickly than everyone else, and in the end, have a little bit of an edge.

I love this. My story worked out a little differently; I just moved into Groton today as a new sophomore. If I knew two and a half years ago that this is how it would play out, I would’ve done it the exact same way. Because rejection taught me so much. It kept me humble. It made me strong.

@stargirl3 congrats! I hope all works out well!

Nicely written. Kudos to you. Congrats to stargirl

congratulations @stargirl3 … this is fantastic news… now I am all curious about the latest change of events ;))

Congratulations stargirl! Third time is a charm indeed. :x

" I would’ve done it the exact same way… "

I hope not.

Welcome to Groton Stargirl and Be sure to tell your CC story to DD - if you are indeed in the dorm we think you are then she is your prefect :slight_smile:

Congrats . My son and I were just talking about this last night. He never applied to boarding schools, but had a similar experience with Charter and Magnet schools . He was wait listed for both. When it happened, he was devastated. He was ultimately offered admissions to both programs after school has begun, but he rejected both of them. He ended up excelling academically and socially and he has grown so much in the process. You are so right that going through that experience early on does give you an edge when applying to colleges. Many of his peers have not experienced this and are totally blindsided in the college ap process. Thanks for sharing your story.

Nice post @ccnaf14. My daughter went through something similar. She didn’t have interest in any of the acronym schools but did have her heart set on a single sex school. She knew she wanted boarding school and did find a few coeds that she really liked but her heart was set on a single sex. She also really liked a private day school back home but Bs was her preference. When decisions were made the single sex schools WL her. She was devastated…she cried and was needed time to process it all. She was offered a spot at Solebury, offered a spot at prestigious public performing arts school and WL at the day school she liked back home. She wasn’t sure if she would really like the coed school because she really had her heart set on single sex.

She went for her visiting day and fell in love with Solebury…she felt it was a great fit. We turned down LaGuardia performing arts school…then a wrench was thrown into the mix. The day school that WL her…the one that she really liked back home, changed their mind and offered her a spot. We had just signed the contract with Solebruy and she never gave that day school’s offer a second thought. She said I’m going to love the school that loves me (that’s what I was telling her throughout this process since we needed FA and she knew it could be hard with admissions).

She just started her 2nd year and she’s so happy that she’s a Solebury. We spoke about it this summer…she said that she was happy the other schools WL and RJ her because she’s so happy where she ended up.

You posted that you had accepted a full FA package at Solebury. Did something happen at Solebury? Why did Groton think you were available? Did you stay on Groton’s wait list after accepting the generous offer from Solebury? This is very confusing.

@ChoatieMom I do not feel comfortable discussing it in detail on the forum.

@stargirl3 would you at least confirm that your change has nothing to do with Solebury? We wouldn’t want to give people or future applicants the impression that the school reneged on their offer to you or did something wrong. I wouldn’t want our sweet school to have people assuming incorrectly. .

Ccnaf14 and NYCMomof3: I agree with you that when the admissions process shakes out, kids generally do end up where they are meant to be, even if the process is sometimes a painful one. And yet, there will always be a few kids (or parents) who will be willing to set their ethics aside to take advantage of and game the system in an attempt to reach their dream school, regardless of what they have to do to get there, because they believe they know best that is where they truly belong. They are occasionally successful in making it happen… But may find that they have reached their imagined dream school at their own risk.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
Please respect @Stargirl3 's decision not to post details here; that is entirely her prerogative. Remember this site is called College Confidential for a reason.

To that end, posts directed at her (which BTW would be offtopic) will be deleted. At such time, if ever, as she wishes to discuss either publicly or privately, she will do so.

My D too was rejected from an in state Math & Science boarding school. They said her SAT score was too low (the week she took the SAT, she was under a doctor care from recovering from the flu. I appealed the decision and was told a no is a No and a No is a NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

A year later, she was wait listed at another boarding school the East Coast. After 2 months of waiting, she was told the roster was full so they were not taking any students off the wait list.

To this day I THANK GOD for the rejections!!!

Had she attended the boarding schools, she would have missed out on an internship in a medical research lab. A paid position that lasted 4 summers and 2 winter breaks and possibly more…(fingers crossed).

She started her Lab Assistant position when she was just a rising high school junior. This medical school…well, it’s a top notch medical school.

I tell this story because I believe when the world rejects you, God got you!

I know this is off topic but I must say that Solebury was really great to me. They never did anything wrong, and I felt bad turning them down. Ultimately, however, this is what’s best for my family.

Thanks for clarifying. They’re a good bunch over there.

I am glad you have found the “fit” in Groton and Groton have after a bit of delay found the “fit” in you as well. Congratulations!

So great to read these, thank you. Rejection is not fun…( I was nominated for an important interview, ‘the answer’ will find me in the next few weeks) … it’s an experience that never gets easier in some ways. BUT!!!
The beauty of these posts is that there are many many ways to achieve your goals. It’s organic, it’s surprises you… just keep showing up. Applause