Will being African lower my chances?

<p>That’s great news!</p>

<p>But the grades are a little different. According to CIE these are the grade conversions
<a href=“http://www.polsci.tu.ac.th/bmir/announcement/BMIR_GPA_Equivalents.pdf[/url]”>http://www.polsci.tu.ac.th/bmir/announcement/BMIR_GPA_Equivalents.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>So the admission officers know about the different grading?</p>

<p>@everyone that helped: thank you so much I appreciate it</p>

<p>A’s are the highest grade you can get right? If it is the most challenging curriculum, which for California HS mean 6 or so college level classes, that’s what UC’s want to see. You should check out requirements and try to calculate your UCGPA . You should be looking for sosomething like a 4.2 or better. I didn’t look at the conversion. What makes you predict those scores.? Will you be applying this fall? If you have time, you should try a few subject tests.</p>

<p>I just noticed your school has no AP classes. I was assuming some advanced math classes with a 700 plus math 2 score. Maybe I assumed too much? Sorry. If you have no college level asses, you will probably have a problem.</p>

<p>Not sure why you would want to pay that kind money for a public though.most who can get into Berkeley can get in elsewhere for the same money.</p>

<p>I want to change my answer! I should have just stuck to ten question, and avoided the “chances”. Race is not typically a factor in University of California admissions.</p>

<p>No we can get A stars (A*)</p>

<p>Yes I am applying this fall. I took the most advanced classes available to me. Our curriculum does not use the AP system.
IGCSE classes are also a year or more ahead of us.
I think I got 3 A*, 3-5 As, 1-2 Bs and maybe one C</p>

<p>This puts my gpa around a 4.0 unweighted</p>

<p>I will be taking college level classes when school starts. Im going to a new school, a university foundation program for college prep. My old school ended in year 11 (us grade 10) and I am going straight to the new one for 1 year. Which means I will be 17 in college.</p>

<p>It’s confusing because I don’t know whether to get my teacher evaluations from my new school or old school as my new schools teachers will have very little time to get to know me before I apply… But in my old school we did not have a guidance counselor. I’m soooo lost.</p>

<p>I don’t see how you can have an weighted 4.0 without straight A’s. Can you list the names of your classes? Have you looked at UC requirements? Have you taken any standardized tests? UC apps are due early but you don’t need recommendations.</p>

<p>I will link some statistics.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_fr/Frosh_Prof12.htm[/url]”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_fr/Frosh_Prof12.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Notice the section on high school class work. Click on “a-g”. This reflects the number of college prep, but also AP or equivalent classes. The admitted students are similar at Berkeley and UCSD.</p>

<p>" Applicants must complete 11 of the 15 “a–g” requirements by the end of their junior year. For more information on these requirements, please visit the<em>UC a-g interactive Web site. The University of California also maintains a list of</em>certified “a-g”*courses for high schools in California."</p>

<p>Please open the PDF from earlier. IGCSS courses are harder than the us equivalent. </p>

<p>For example a B in igcse is a 3.7 (A-)</p>

<p>Also do I get my teacher evaluations from my Latest high school or not?</p>

<p>BumpPpppppp</p>

<p>Hey Posterguy, I have spent 3 yrs of my education in Nigeria, so i understand where you are coming from. The structures of the schools in Nigeria vary immensely, so unless I know your unique situation its hard to say if you will qualify well. As for being african, it wont hurt your chances at all, everyone is given an equal opportunity and you will be compared with other international candidates, but it will be very hard to get financial aid</p>

<p>@naturalessence</p>

<p>Thanks. Am I compared to all international students or other African applicants?</p>

<p>"I think I got 3 A*, 3-5 As, 1-2 Bs and maybe one C</p>

<p>This puts my gpa around a 4.0 unweighted"</p>

<p>Even using the PDF you posted, you don’t have an unweighted 4.0
It looks like the A* and A get 4 points, then you have 1-2 B’s which would be 3.7, and your C would be 3 points. Assuming best case of 8 A* and A, 1 B and 1 C. that would give you 3.87 GPA. Certainly high enough to get you in most places, particularly if you include very rigorous classes, but bot 4.0</p>

<p>Sorry that is an old one. An A* is worth more than an A. (A+ equivalent)</p>

<p>[US</a> Admissions Criteria | Undergraduate Study in the USA | US-UK Fulbright Commission](<a href=“http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/applying/admissions-criteria#performance]US”>http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/applying/admissions-criteria#performance)</p>

<p>@posterguy</p>

<p>You will be compared to other international applicants, but there is a possibility that they may consider you a little more to enhance their diversity</p>

<p>Great thanks!</p>

<p>Oga u no take waec or a levels? Its gonna be difficult with just igcse to get into ivys. As for being african being a disadvantage, it depends on the way you look at it. If you consider (what I believe is false), that we also benefit from AA, then Africans are overrepresented at ivys relative to the domestic black population. Africans that come to school in the US and in particular ivys tend to be unsurprisingly from rich or upper-middle class families.</p>

<p>What secondary school did you go to for curiosity?</p>

<p>HEY GUYS!!</p>

<p>I just got my IGCSE results back. I got 4 A* (A stars) and 5 A’s !!</p>

<p>My GPA is definitely a 4.0 unw or higher now.</p>

<p>So now that i have straight A’s, would a 2100 be enough to get me into ivy league?</p>

<p>I don’t think so since interational students pay more and can make a school diverse.</p>

<p>In reponse to the OP, As a parent whose S was in your shoes, please note that you have little or no chance of getting into top colleges with only IGCSE, regardless of how strong your results are. Top colleges expect two years of schooling beyond this. This information is also available on some website, like Harvard’s. If you do not plan to do this, and are planning to apply on the strength of your IGCSCE alone, I recommend that you concentrate on third tier schools.</p>

<p>I am going to further my education.</p>

<p>I’m enrolling in a one year university foundation program. A few graduates from my school have gotten into UC’s and one even got into Harvard.</p>

<p>Well that’s great,don’t give up and I heard Merced and Riverside ‘easiest’ to get into but they’re kind of in the middle of nowhere.by easy it just means they have a higher admit. rate.And you can always go to Harvard for graduate school.</p>