Will I be able to get the classes I want?

<p>I am an incoming freshmen, and I am registering on THE LAST DAY of SOAR. I outlined my schedule, and this is What I would like it to look like</p>

<p>Black Music (Afro American Studies 156)
Comperative Government (Poli Sci 106)
Freshmen Composition (English 100)
International Relations (Poli Sci 103)
Understanding Political Numbers (Poli Sci 218)</p>

<p>Will my classes fill up before I can register, and is there something I can do to prevent that?</p>

<p>PS I might plan on graduating in three years, so getting classes is crutial for me.</p>

<p>I would have some alternates. You might get half your first choices so you need 10 first choices. What about a science, math, language, social science like econ, or psychology/sociology.?</p>

<p>makes sense</p>

<p>They open up plenty of the big freshman classes as SOAR goes on, so you’ll probably be okay with Comm 100 and maybe Poli Sci 103 (just guessing though, have no idea about Poli Sci anything). A lot of people are taking those and very few upperclassmen have already taken all the spots. I know Black Music is popular so I’d probably try to find something else and bonus if you do wind up getting it. There’s nothing you can do to prevent it, really. Make sure you know which of these classes are most important to you - since you’re getting pretty much the leftovers some might conflict with each other.</p>

<p>Sorry, but having the last SOAR is probably going to shut you out of a lot of things. I went to SOAR in like late June and I had trouble getting the things I wanted. Just recognize that in this semester you might veer off your plan a little, and get back on track in spring. Also realize that the plan you’ve created might not be the best, since you have no knowledge of how UW works - I’d talk to your peer advisor at SOAR, he or she will give you some suggestions, and when you actually get to UW meet with your assigned advisor again, he or she might have a more efficient plan for you to help you graduate in three years, one that you haven’t even thought of.</p>

<p>You will not get the AAS 156 class. It is one of the most popular classes on campus and fills up before even all the students with senior standing register.</p>

<p>Is it it true that every student has an equal opportunity to get into a class than others? Someone in registration when I visited said it doesn’t matter if your SOAR date is earlier or later, all students go through some randomizer system. Don’t know if this is true or not?</p>

<p>No chance for Black Music, that class fills with upperclassmen before SOAR students arrive. They may free up a few seats, but don’t hold your breath. Having a late SOAR will give you some headaches, as you won’t have many options for scheduling your discussion sections (which are separate class meetings from lecture). Take what you can get at SOAR, and be sure to spend a lot of time on Student Center during the first few days of class to pick up seats that other students have dropped.</p>

<p>My soar date in July 22nd. A little worried. Really trying to get into Reason in Communication and a Intro American Politics class.</p>

<p>Have several classes you can take for your breadth requirements in your list. You may as well get a science out of the way- there are many options for non science majors. Taking the required credits earlier on in your college career gives you more flexibility later. You may also want to rethink so many courses in one department your first semester- it may turn out you change your major and will wish you had tried some other fields earlier on. Also- how loaded up on papers will you be with the courses you have chosen? It may be that as a poli sci major you later could take a higher level course in some material instead of the intro courses. One good reason to have advising before registering. Remember to think of college as an education- not only becoming well versed in your major. Explore related fields.</p>

<p>A question about classes: Where can I find that pdf with all the classes I can take?</p>

<p>UW website- Academics- Course Guide. Pick your semester and go from there.</p>

<p>Go to my.wisc.edu and log in with your username and password.</p>

<p>Click on ‘Student Center’</p>

<p>Then in the upper right there is a green bar ‘Search for Classes’.</p>

<p>Enter the search criteria by first choosing the ‘Term’ (Fall 2011-2012), then fill out additional criteria.</p>

<p>Here is a link to the demo/tutorial to become more familiar with the process:</p>

<p>[class</a> search_demo](<a href=“http://registrar.wisc.edu/isis_helpdocs/curricularservices_demo/Class_Search/classsearch_demo.htm]class”>http://registrar.wisc.edu/isis_helpdocs/curricularservices_demo/Class_Search/classsearch_demo.htm)</p>

<p>There are two ways to search the course guide- the public can follow my path and students can follow the private one. Anyone can view details , even how many students and how full the course sections are.</p>