Will I get merit scholarship University of Miami (FL)

Im currently a senior in high school and UMiami is my top choice however the I can’t justify paying 70k a year. I applied EA with a 1390 sat 32 act 3.8 unweighted gpa. A bunch of ec’s and community service hours. A lot of work experience. Do you think I will get any merit aid from the school? Any input is appreciated!

My son has almost identical stats and applied EA. The common data set for last year suggests that just over half of the accepted students received merit aid. Your stats would place you above the 50th percentile. So it would seem that you have a decent chance of receiving some merit aid. I dont know how much merit aid is affected by ECs or by which program you apply to. Good luck!!

Thanks so much !!!

You might get merit aid, but then agian you might not. Miami is a roll of the dice on how they give out merit aid. Some students with very high stats get none and others with much lower stats get a lot. There is no guarantee based on stats or ECs or test scores or gpa. In the last 2 years it seems some of the merit aid decision is based on ethnicity and EFC. Additionally it depends on whether or not Miami wants to attract students from your area, some areas they are looking to attract students from and other areas they are not as interested in, so if you live in an area where they want to attract students then you have a higher chance of getting merit aid.

1 Like

A few years ago (2 or 3) Miami was fairly straight forward about merit scholarships. Plug in your GPA/SAT scores and you could find your merit award on the NPC. Not so much any more. Read through the previous year’s threads and it looks like merit has moved more towards need/diversity and less about merit. I’m sure high stats still gets consideration, it’s just not the lock it used to be.

My son applied EA to Miami and it might be his first choice, if he gets merit. GPA 4.1, ACT 33, 34 Superscore, lots of EC including 2 varsity sports and multiple honor societies. Also has a job, and did the Miami summer college classes. Anyone have any ideas about merit?