Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

I agree, 150 miles/day is past the daily use limits I would be comfortable with for my Bolt. We can recharge 60-70 miles/day on our wall outlet, and we drove about 40 miles a day at the time we made the purchase. We felt we would need a “real” charger if we drove more than 60 miles a day.

(We looked at putting in a “real” charger, by the way… that would have made the total cost of ownership, estimated over 180,000 miles, exceed the cost of a Honda Fit, which was the other car we were considering. Of course that was back when gas was $2.20 a gallon…)

But you said it was a 400 mile road trip? So a car that can go 250 miles before needing to stop (gas or EV) would only need to stop once, right?

And don’t forget to buy that bag of Doritos (or insert your favorite snack purchase) and bottle of water while you’re waiting for your car to charge. :joy:

No, I can go 400 miles with one fill.

1 Like

We got a Level 2 in the garage back when we got our Leaf in 2015. I think with the parts and labor it was $500. Still works great 7 years later. It’s right on the wall where our stove is in the kitchen, so I think the electrician just tapped into that circuit. 150 miles a day would be absolutely not a problem in my 2017 Bolt. Pre-pandemic I was easily driving 70 miles a day.

3 Likes

That takes a minute. You still have 17 minutes left to kill. At that rate, my one long day trip will turn into a two day trip involving a dubious motel stay. Not happening. When it improves to suit my need, I’d get it.

To be environmentally conscious, it would be better to own fewer cars. I’d like to get by with one car and that car has to do everything for me. Almost everything is not good enough unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. I just misunderstood.

Unfortunately for us, the electrician that came out said we’d need a new breaker panel and … some other significant change, I forget what it was … to bring us up to code and then run the L2 charger. It was going to run us about $5K if I recall correctly. A bummer, but as it turns out, we do just fine with the wall charger.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but any bag, bottle, plastic, can, etc. uses energy from the grid as does the EV. So, that bag of Cheetos or nuts that you buy while waiting for your car to charge or gas to pump uses power from the grid. And then there’s the recycling of all that garbage.

Also, as a society food consumption is a huge problem, just in terms of the power grid (and future medical issues too) but hey going with the EV is WIN!

I’m not saying that’s anyone here, but hypocrisy lives. I witness it every day.

2 Likes

The 150 mile daily commute is a perfect case for an EV. With an ICE that driver is filling gas a few times a week? I don’t know where some of the folks on this thread are filling up that takes apparently zero time, but last time I rented an ICE vehicle I spent at least 20 minutes when I count waiting for those in front of me, filling, paying, etc. So that 40 or so minutes a week this person spends refueling. If you want to round down to 30, that’s fine. Year after year. With a level 2 charger at home or at work it’s zero.

As far as the 3-400 mile trip, I’ve never spent more than 45 minutes on a trip like that recharging and usually I did that at a time when I wanted to stop and take a break for safety reasons anyway. With the newer cars you’d need less time. The marginal cost in time is negligible.

Honestly, I just don’t know anyone taking these 1500 mile trips through remote areas so I can’t speak to the charging infrastructure there. But the situation of the rural west Texas long haul driver probably shouldn’t shape the opinions of the northern Virginia commuter who takes an occasional weekend trip. The latter would likely be just fine with an EV.

5 Likes

Every little bit helps.

2 Likes

IMO, if you’re not producing that same “little bit” or effort in other areas of your life, then not in my book. Not even close. You’re operating on thin margins (in terms of the power grid) otherwise. And you’re persuading yourself that you’re doing your part, when in fact, you’re not.

Awww, that’s too bad.

I know Chevy is offering to install free Level 2s at your home with a purchase of a 2022 Bolt or Bolt EUV. Maybe now is the time to buy! Home Charging Installation | Chevrolet

1 Like

Ok. You go first. What are you doing to help? Besides making snarky comments on the internet, I mean.

2 Likes

I’m still wrapping my brain around having to only make one toilet stop on a 400 mile trip! That’s impressive!

3 Likes

We bought our plug in Subaru in Dec of 2020. We test drove both the plug in Kia Niro and the Subaru Crosstrek. I liked the Kia and it had a bit more mile range and was less expensive but my husband preferred the Subaru and it was going to be his daily car. We got lucky as it was before the supply chain issues got bad and he had no problem getting a car. The Subaru dealer had multiple plug in cars on the lot. The Kia dealer had 10 plus plug in cars. Both dealers offered discounts on sticker. We got the federal rebate and also a $1500 check from the utility company.

I just don’t buy that. Here was my recent trip:

Day 1: 546 miles, Central MA to Pittsburgh. Would require two charging stops. Say I stop every 200 miles. That puts me stopping in NE PA on I-84 prior to getting to Scranton. Using the Plugshare site that was referenced upthread, I don’t see any charging stations anywhere along that stretch of highway. The nearest I can find is one at the French Manor Inn and Spa a few miles off the highway. Lets assume that works. So then on to the rest of my trip. 200 miles further gets me to State College. It looks like there’s lot there so now I’m OK. Then I pull into Pittsburgh close to empty.

Next leg of the trip: Pittsburgh to Nashville: 563 miles. Again need two stops along the way. First stop would have be south of Columbus Ohio. There is a charger in Jeffersonville so that would probably be OK. I guess I could stop early in Columbus but that would mean I would need three stops instead of two to get to Nashville. Next 200 miles gets me to Elizabethtown KY. Looks like there are charging stations there so I’m good. Then onto Nashville where there are lots.

Next leg: Nashville to Gatlingburg.Only 221 miles so maybe I can make it on one charge. Looks like there are places to charge in Pigeon Forge which is right before Gatlinburg so that’s OK, but then we spend 5 nights in Gatlinburg, and it looks like there are a grand total of three chargers in town. This is a major tourist destination and there is one site with one charger and one site with two. Maybe we run an extension cord out the window of the cabin we are renting? Would that work?

I’m tired of this so won’t map out the trip back to MA here but I just don’t see how this is as easy as people make it out to be.

7 Likes

Must people can’t afford such an expensive vehicle!

2 Likes

I think that’s a really good reason why people should research and chose what they need to drive. If they think they are making the planet better, great. Just maybe keep the idea low key that you are somehow better than your neighbor who chose an alternative path. Some people can use EV’s/hybrids, or even no car at all. Some people watch how much they drive others take long trips often. Lots of variation.
I see no reason to make it a contest with my neighbors/friends/family. We have a compost pile. Always have. I think I know zero people who also compost as we do. Same with our garden. But it’s not an issue of comparison. Of course, we can always compare our compost piles, energy usage, thoughts on others energy use. I just don’t stand how we gain anything.

Society as a whole is using more energy. Every country and also every person when compared to the past. At the same time, people are more aware of energy. IMO, technology is going to solve a lot of the long term issues.

It’s not snarky at all. I find it’s a valid criticism of a % of the EV buyers.

For example, my next door neighbors have EV’s, yet their AC compressor turns on if the outside temperature hits 75 +/-. We’re in a heat wave right now, anyone turning on their AC, and at what temp?

About 36%-ish of the US adults are obese and obesity is on the rise. What if we, as a country, curbed obesity, and its medical consequences. individuals taking responsibility, and how much of an impact would that make in terms of the power grid?

1 Like