William & Mary Class of 2027 Official Thread

Oh wow! Interesting connection there indeed!

DD in-state waitlisted. Wont accept a position on the waitlist.

I am sure she will flourish wherever she is planted.

Best of luck.

My daughter applied RD, in-state, and was waitlisted.

She actually sees some advantages to the spring pathways option for her. She doesnā€™t want to study abroad and would attend community college and work on personal goals. Weā€™re curious about student experiences with spring orientation and then integrating into social circles and campus traditions. Sheā€™s not a particularly outgoing personality, so this does concern me somewhat. Well, that and housing being in such flux. Any suggestions on where to best gather these insights?

2 Likes

My daughter has these same concerns! Sheā€™s also most likely going to go the community college route (NVCC, as weā€™re in Northern Virginia) and is nervous about missing out on fall activities and the possibility of not rooming with first-year students.

1 Like

Weā€™re in Northern Virginia, too. Maybe theyā€™ll have a class together. lol

It would be great to create some kind of community for these students. If W&M had opportunities for them to at least visit campus together in the fall, that would probably go a long way toward their feeling plugged into the larger class. Those who study with Verto seem to have a more natural way to build strong interpersonal connections.

Yes, housing seems complicated generally and then to come in and not room with first-year students might be a rough way to start.

Iā€™ve tried looking for Facebook groups specific to our situation, but I havenā€™t had any luck. Maybe Iā€™ll create one. I think our daughters would hit it off! Mine is also somewhat introverted with similar stats, though she went test-optional since sheā€™s not a great test-taker lol. At school, sheā€™s involved in theater, Spanish honor society, etc, with some volunteer work and part-time jobs on the side.

1 Like

Regarding friendships from what I hear from my introverted quiet DD, even for the fall kids it is still in flux for many and especially the quieter ones. Some of the first dorm floor contacts from fall are slowly giving way to more club or course-oriented contacts. So, coming in a semester later, those friendships are still forming, and new contacts being made.

From my understanding Yule log is the most favorite of the traditions and is always on a Saturday. By then the spring kids should have their official admission and I am sure they can join in.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just started this line of thinking myself. Iā€™ll keep my ear to the ground and let you know what I learn. My daughter ā€“ who also is very involved with theatre ā€“ will check with her school counselor, too.

2 Likes

I created a Facebook group for those parents/students considering the spring pathway program and want to chat privately. Unofficial, obviously. Search groups for ā€œWilliam & Mary Spring Pathway, Class of 2027ā€.

4 Likes

You might call the Department for Student Affairs at WM to see if they can give you any information on how orientation may be handled for the spring admit students. I know post Covid it seemed fairly limited. You do need to be prepared to be housed in whatever room space is available. There would be no way for all spring admits to be in freshman housing.

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes, it sounds like housing overall will be cobbled together for several years ā€“ with all the reno and construction. My husband was wondering how a spring admit would complicate housing for their sophomore year.

A spring admit would go through the same process for sophomore housing as all of the others. They would go into the lottery as all of the other rising sophomores.

3 Likes

I have a steep learning curve on all this. So if classes start late January and housing contracts are due mid February, when is their opportunity to express any preferences?

From what I understand, accepted students have to confirm enrollment with a deposit by December 15 and then complete a housing application.

I just read about the Yule Log celebration and watched some of last yearā€™s live broadcast. What a lovely tradition! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Iā€™m talking about housing contracts for 2024-25. I believe room assignments start in late February, so is that when they would submit interest in where and with whom to live as sophomores? The spring admits would be on campus for about a month and barely have their bearings. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m wrapping my head around. I have a lot of reading to do. :slight_smile:

The contract saying you want housing is signed by mid February. A week or so later is when rooms are selected.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. My son is also WL. His brother goes to W&M --a sophomore.
Since the S23 is not yet 18, he wouldnā€™t be able to take advantage of the Study Abroad programs in Europe we understand. This happened to my other sonā€™s friend, who was also WL and 17 (2021) and she went to Costa Rica for her first semester. She integrated rather well, my son said, as she had many friends already at W&Mā€“NoVAā€“and as she is super outgoing and into music, theater etc, however had a dorm off campus, and wasnā€™t as 'plugged in ā€™ as kids who were on campus for the Fall. At least that was my sonā€™s take on it. Anyway, not sure what my WL son will do. But I will check out the FB page. thanks

1 Like

My DS didnā€™t make the waitlist but I did some research ahead of time in case he was. I also found a previous poster on CC that took the community college option and messaged her directly. She had positive things to say and felt the only real negative was rooming with an upperclassman. A couple of things:

Verto has been used heavily in the past year or so and has suffered some serious admin issues. Faculty is very vocal about the issues so make sure you look into recent comments, experiences and locations.

I think the community college option is great for several reasons, particularly if you attend Richard Bland as they have housing and essentially replicate the WM curriculum. Courses just populate over and donā€™t need to be approved etc (I canā€™t remember if GPA populates). I would also talk w the WM registrar about your particular major to make sure there arenā€™t any classes you want to take freshman year that are only offered in the fall. The study abroad option might put them off schedule. Obviously, I donā€™t have specific answers but wanted to share some things we were considering if going that route. Best wishes!

7 Likes