William & Mary Class of 2027 Official Thread

So she would need to hit the ground running is all I’m suggesting. She would have started at W&M about 30 days before rooms are selected for her sophomore year. I’m just trying to wrap my head around the various aspects of being a spring admit.

2 Likes

Glad to see discussion of the spring admit options. I heard a positive review from two friends who enrolled together in the Verto program last year and entered W&M this semester. I didn’t think we might be exploring it ourselves, so didn’t gather details. I’d really like to have more information before the online info sessions that start the end of next month.

Does anyone have a sense of how many students have done the spring path the past couple years? I wonder how large the spring admit class is.

My guess is that they are counted as the spring transfer admits. Last year there was a total of 70 spring transfers.

1 Like

That’s helpful. Thanks. I’d hope they treat them like a cohort and have some kind of orientation and follow-up. If they’ve developed this path that would be my expectation anyway. Starting college the traditional way is challenging enough.

I found this from this year about the spring semester orientation. Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Our D23 was accepted. Out of state, 98.5 weighted GPA out of 100 (no class ranking, probably around top 7%) at a well-regarded Jesuit high school. 34 ACT and 5’s and 4’s on AP’s, all submitted. Has taken one shy of the max AP’s her school allows, honors for everything else where available. EC’s focused on charitable institutions and reached leadership positions in a few. 4 year not terribly serious athlete but senior captain.

She’s indicated that she’ll be declining unless something changes - she was fortunate to get into a few others that she likes a bit more in the last few weeks (and has been/is going to admitted student weekends at both), and is sitting on two waitlists beyond that. Ultimately, I think her parents, who both went to school in the SE, probably liked William & Mary more than D did herself. Socially, it’s a little sleepier than the others she’ll end up choosing from, all of which are in larger sports conferences and fit more obviously in the “brimming with school spirit” category. You just never know how a kid (and their priorities) will change over the course of their senior year in high school.

2 Likes

WM is sending out admissions packets today.

3 Likes

They are cute, but small. Do not expect fancy flare :slight_smile: It is after all a public and not spending much on extras to put into admission letters.

You can always get spririt wear here:
Apparel, Gifts & Textbooks | The William & Mary Official Bookstore (bncollege.com)

1 Like

yes, we got a cool fold out one for my daughter. Just something fun to look forward to.

1 Like

I got accepted but am no longer able to get into my admissions portal…might this have something to do with them making us change our username and password? Or is this something typical?

never mind i figured it out sorry and its not letting me delete that message :skull: :skull:

3 Likes

I know a friend’s kid who went to Europe via Verto and now at WM. Options for courses is rather limited and it seems it is more of a cultural immersion experience than a serious academic one (what W&M is more like). Most people seem to choose study abroad because of prestige factor. Folks should seriously consider Richard Bland/CC option to more seamlessly transition to WM.

4 Likes

Financial aid info is in the portal.

1 Like

Just a heads up that this has been in the news locally. I think they are trying to separate the two officially. And as early as this summer. Two-year college near Petersburg wants to separate from William & Mary

We are still waiting for the package. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday since we live in Texas.

They were just mailed out today, so probably a few days until they get to Texas.

1 Like

This sounds quite familiar. My D22 was admitted to schools with “more spirit” and in the end when she got the cypher from W&M she shifted from thinking South Bend to Williamsburg immediately ! She thought she wanted the big school feel, but her heart was always green & gold! She told me from her experience this year; the spirit at W&M runs deep and that the big sports schools may have a larger stadium/fans/focus on sports, but nothing compares to W&M overall spirit and pride for their school, that everyone really does get along and knows/supports one another. Again, as they say: those that come here, belong here And to boot, they did in fact have a fabulous football season and it was an incredible journey for the team and the student supporters!!

9 Likes

In the 80s, i thought the same thing. I was going to Penn State to have the big football school and be in the marching band. I don’t remember why i decided to switch to William and Mary, but i couldnt have had a better experience.

4 Likes

That school in South Bend was the first visit we did with my S23. It was a beautiful fall day, the sun was shining off the dome. He loved the school, the traditions and the sense of community. He didn’t love the school getting overrun by visitors on Football weekends and the lack of any even remotely interesting food choices. In touring W&M he got the same things he loved about ND without being overrun. On the food front it’s not downtown DC but we did have some good tacos and of course the Cheese Shop. Someone told us there’s a good Szechuan place close by.

3 Likes