Wisconsin vs. IU For Computer Science

Live on east coast and son has narrowed college choice down to IU and Wisconsin. Intended major is computer science. IU has offered some merit money, so would be a little cheaper. Both schools have pros and cons, so just looking for any reason to pick one over the other at this point.

I’m guessing most people here will say Wisconsin simply because of where you posted. I personally plan on studying Computer Science at Wisconsin, and they do have a very reputable program. I am not too familiar with IU’s program, but if it is cheaper (especially if the merit money is renewable) then it may be worth the cost to go to IU.

I’m not from either uwi or iu but Uwisconsin 's cs program is nationally - known and Well-recruited. I assume you can afford both without parent plus loans even if uwi requires you to stretch more. In that case you could ask your son to pay you back the difference - he should work on coding in his spare time and become very good on algorithms. Cs students can get well-paid (5-8k/mo if strong, sometimes higher) internships as early as summer freshman year so that, if the difference is up to 5k a year, your son would easily pay you back. It’s one case where it’s worth going for the more expensive option * as long as it’s affordable *

Look at each campus, they have different atmospheres. Look at the academics- CS and math courses (there are crosslisted classes). Consider the courses required and available. Check the numbers in math and computer science. Likelihood of taking any grad level courses- possible at UW. Honors program. Lifestyle. Dorm situation- food plans as a freshman, most often apartment living later (works well at UW). Greek life (or lack thereof in importance at UW). Numbers of OOS students. So many different ways to be a Badger- not all are into sports or parties etc. Look at caliber of peer groups.

Final decision may be financial- if you can afford the difference in costs go with Wisconsin. Look at all costs. There is a bus from either O’Hare or Milwaukee to campus for those trips home. UW’s campus has so much going on he likely will not want to return home except for Thanksgiving and other breaks. Food costs- UW doesn’t have required costs. What are the conditions for the merit money- will it be hard to meet them?

Both in the Midwest but different flavors to each state. I’m from WI, have lived in Indy, know people from there now and prefer WI. PM me if you wish.

He needs to figure out which school appeals to him the most and not look back.