Work Study Email & Options

<p>Good morning, I just got an email regarding work study details and I have a few questions. The email stated, “You will be paid minimally a bi-weekly rate of $7.25 per hour working 10 hours per week employed on campus. *The rate per hour for off campus community service employment is $8.25 to $9.25.” Will I be allowed to work more than ten hours per week if my schedule allows it or does the university put a cap on that? I wasn’t sure if the “minimally” applied to the pay as well as the hours. </p>

<p>The email also said, “In addition to the on and off campus jobs, you may work as a reading or math tutor in one of two national programs, the America Reads Challenge and the America Counts Program.” Does anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding these two programs, how they work, where they’re located, etc.?</p>

<p>One more thing. Does anyone know what sorts of options there will be? I know i have to attend a fair but I’d like to know a little bit going into it. What are the more desirable on campus jobs? And when do we sign up/apply for them? Is that at the fair, after the fair, on our own time? The email just said to “Submit the printed forms (five forms) to any employer of your choice to obtain a job.” Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Hopefully SEA_Tide will provide info on procedures for finding W-S jobs.</p>

<p>As for hours per week… how much W-S were you given? It will be divided into 2 semesters. So, if you were given $2000, that would be $1000 per semester. There are about 15 weeks, so that’s about 10 hours per week. I don’t think there’s a rule that you can’t work more than 10 hours, but you may run out of “funding” before the semester ends.</p>

<p>First year Work Study students (freshmen) are limited to working 15 hours per week. Upperclassmen Work Study students can work up to 20 hours per week. Your award is based on a 10 hour workweek, likely 17 of those weeks. A semester is 15.5 weeks, so you can work a little bit more than that, but make sure that you don’t work more than your Work Study award. I recommend having a schedule where your total weekly hours is a whole number rather than a fraction. UA pays in 15 minute increments.</p>

<p>The desirableness of a specific work study job depends on what the student wants to do. Note that the list of available positions is out-of-date as it is a time-intensive process for departments to get their Work Study position listings updated. Depending on your major, you could try to get a job working for your department, which provides the side benefit of getting to know a lot of the professors and grad students. Unfortunately, many departments only need 1 or 2 student employees and the competition can be tough.</p>

<p>If you will not have a car on campus, on-campus jobs are your best bet. </p>

<p>I highly recommend signing up for direct deposit. Note that the Financial Aid department states that one needs a voided check to process a direct deposit, but you can print off a paper showing your financial institution’s routing number and an account statement (you can black out the balances) or get a letter from your financial institution with those numbers, that is also acceptable. </p>

<p>I’ve lucked out in getting jobs before the Work Study fair, but that was because I didn’t have Work Study until my second year and found positions by mentioning that I had a Work Study award but hadn’t found a job.</p>

<p>Sea_Tide what jobs did you work and how did you feel about them?</p>

<p>I won’t say the exact positions I’ve had, but will say that they were/are office jobs and that I have enjoyed them very much.</p>