Would saving money be worth it?

<p>I applied to about ten schools and am still waiting to hear back from eight of them (Vassar, Colgate, Georgetown, Cornell, Barnard, Binghamton, Williams, and Amherst). So far I've been admitted to Fordham and Geneseo... Geneseo wasn't very high up on my list until yesterday when I got a letter saying I had received a full scholarship (tuition, room and board, all of the works) for all four years provided I maintained an active lifestyle on campus and high grades.</p>

<p>I only applied to Geneseo as a safety although I do genuinely like the school, but now because of this turn of events my parents have fallen in love with the prospect of not having to pay for college and my mom particularly has been trying to entice me into going to Geneseo. She's so far offered to pay for all of my graduate school expenses (which will hopefully turn out to be medical school) among other things which could drastically change the way my life falls into place... But would it be worth it? On one hand I feel that it would because a full ride isn't something that should be passed up, but when I think about going to Barnard with all of the resources of Columbia or somewhere more prestigious like Williams or Amherst and the way that will look on my graduate school applications, I have to wonder if it would be worth it? My parents aren't completely unable to pay for college wherever I would like to go, whether it be a more expensive school or not, but the word FREE does not come into the equation often and has thrown us all off course.</p>

<p>So... What to do? I'm also still waiting on other decision letters so the best case scenario is that I'm denied from everywhere else and that'll make my decision for me, haha.</p>

<p>Do you mind if I ask whether this full-ride scholarship was need-based or merit-based, or a combination of the two? I was not aware that Geneseo offered such a scholarship (at least not on a merit basis).</p>

<p>personally, i would go for the full ride. Geneseo has a good name and would give you a great education. and the "prestige" factor of schools like williams and amherst might be cool, but those schools have their faults too. They're not even schools that would be universally recognized as prestigious.</p>

<p>if your scholarship was mostly need based, wouldnt the other schools give you great scholarships too? that would change the situation... </p>

<p>good luck!!</p>

<p>The scholarship wasn't need based. It was merit based and a part of the new Multicultural Fellows program. The letter made it seem as if one needed to be an under represented minority (I'm Hispanic) and a competitive candidate to be selected because only ten were.</p>

<p>I am more than likely not going to receive a substantial amount of money from any school (I didn't receive any from Geneseo's financial aid office for comparison) because my parents' income puts them outside of the bracket. This is why the Geneseo thing was such a shock.</p>

<p>Strongly consider going the "full ride" path. If you don't like it there, transfer after 2 years with most of your general education requirements out of the way. It's a win win situation. If you like it there after 2 years then stay. If not, transfer out debt free with general education credits towards a degree somewhere else. If Geneseo is offerring you this award, you must be an incredible student. Be proud and realize just how much they believe in your potential.</p>

<p>We have funds set aside for my dd's undergraduate degree. If whe were planning to pursue a graduate program which would have high costs (such as medical or legal), she would DEFINITELY be going to a state school for undergraduate. No doubt about it. With or without the full ride.</p>

<p>Then, if she needs the savings for a graduate degree, it will be available. If she doesn't need the savings, she'll have a downpayment on her first home. </p>

<p>As NYsmile says, it's a win-win situation. Worse case scenario is that you transfer after 2 years.</p>

<p>I would not be concerned about how it will look on your applications for graduate school. But, at any rate, it will look favorably.</p>

<p>I also received the Multicultural Fellow letter. I thought it was a fake, but I called them and it was legit--I was certainly surprised.</p>

<p>My oldest daughter graduated from Geneseo in 2004. She applied to 4 graduate schools and was accepted into 3 and waitlisted at 1. Several of her friends were accepted at med schools, dental schools and law schools all over the country. If you keep up your grades you shouldn't have a problem getting into med school..... and you won't have any undergraduate school debt!</p>

<p>Hey, I got invited to that program too! I was just about all set to choose Carleton College, and then that made me hold up. No debt is really, really appealing. I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out where I'm going now, and it's coming down to the wire. What did you two decide?</p>

<p>To be able to get a full ride at a school like Geneseo...Take it! We all got into prestigious graduate schools from Geneseo.</p>