Writing about running away

I stopped living with my family for a month due to family troubles (the cops and CPS got involved yadda yadda) and subsequently I failed AP Chemistry. I remember being pardoned in Spanish (my incompleted grades were dropped) because she knew about my situation, but alas I still failed AP Chemistry.

In the additional information section on Common App, is it worth mentioning I was essentially a teen runaway for a month lol and that’s why I failed a class in high school? Since then it’s never happened again and the failing grade is inconsistent with the my GPA and I feel like it dserves an explaination, but then again I don’t want to give colleges any red flags or have CPS reinvestigate my parents or get the police involved again.

I would suggest that your school counselor address these issues in their letter. They can explain that there were some family issues that interfered with your learning for a period of time. They will know how to phrase this.

8 Likes

The issue is that my school counselor was recently hired, like a month ago. He doesn’t know about it and he already submitted his letter of recommendation.

1 Like

Talk to your school counselor and see how they feel this should be addressed.

2 Likes

No, you should not do this.

If your counselor has already submitted, see if he/she are willing to note it. If so, they can contact the college and ask to withdraw their letter or perhaps submit something supplemental.

You should not submit it on your own. How would the school know it’s true?

3 Likes

I would see if your counselor can update their letter.

If they won’t it’s ok to explain the F in additional info by saying something less detailed about a troubled family situation that impacted your grades and attendance, and that situation resolved in that same semester. No more than a paragraph, no excuses, just the facts.

I know this is too late for you, but for others who might read this thread, you should have remediated that F by taking the class again, whether thru your school, a local CC, or an online HS course provider.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.