Opinions on the Block Plan

<p>I have taught at CC, so may not give the precise perspective that you are looking for (students/parents), but hope I can be helpful. I’m not speaking in any official capacity, but from my experience.</p>

<p>The block plan is not for everyone. It is good for you to think carefully about it before deciding. If it is right for you, it is wonderful, though. It allows a lot of flexibility in class format. It means there is a lot of discussion and other kinds of activities every day (games, small group work, on-the-spot projects or presentations) – no one can lecture or listen to a lecture for three hours. It allows for field trips and field work and other experiences that would be difficult to arrange on conventional academic plans. In some courses there is time off from class to work on larger papers or projects. There are also opportunities to take blocks abroad in addition to or instead of regular semester abroad programs. </p>

<p>It also gives you a 4 1/2 day weekend once a month which is great for trips to the mountains or just taking a break. Again, the rhythm is very different – rather than a slow build up over the course of the semester it is four complete – short!-- cycles of getting used to a class, plunging into the work, writing final papers and/or taking exams. The intensity of the plan means you usually can’t miss more than 3 classes in a block. This can add pressure in the event of illness, but the college does offer some flexibility in arranging late withdrawals or incompletes in such cases – professors and administration will both work with you on this. Another downside is that there are fewer opportunities for sustained writing and revising on longer projects (though many students -do senior theses, which provide that opportunity). You definitely learn to produce quality work on short deadlines. And the classes are almost all under 25, with a few (team-taught) capped at 32. Professors are very accessible since time and deadlines are so short – papers may be due within a few days of being assigned, for instance. </p>

<p>I have never heard or experienced that grad schools think there is a lack of rigor in the block system. To the contrary, I think that it provides opportunities that can enhance an application – it shows the ability to meet deadlines and work with focus in addition to any specific lab or field work that a student might have done. </p>

<p>IPE has a relatively high number of requirements, but it is already almost a double major. I think 12 is a more typical number of required courses for a major (though I am not offhand familiar with all departments’ requirements, of course). A minor may be accomplished with 5-6 courses in general, I believe. Students also get a free summer block during the four years. That said, to double major can require some planning to get everything done and in the correct sequence.</p>

<p>Hope that sheds some light.</p>