Boarding School Endowments

One way to list and rank prep boarding schools is by size of endowment. I found this list on another website which claims to be the most recent endowment amounts. The top two boarding schools by size of endowment both have over one billion dollars.

1. Phillips Exeter Academy–$1.150 billion

2. Phillips Academy at Andover–$1.058 billion

3. St. Paul’s School–$633 million

4. Deerfield Academy–$532 m

5. Hotchkiss School–$487 m

6. Lawrenceville School–$466 m

7. Culver Academies–$394 m

8. Choate Rosemary Hall–$392 m

9. Groton School–$350 m

10. Woodbury Forest School–$332 m

11. Peddie School–$321 m

12. Milton Academy–$310 m

13. Mercersburg Academy–$275 m

14. Middlesex School–$262 m

15. Taft School–$259 m

16. Episcopal High School–$230 m

17. Cranbrook Schools–$217 m

18. Loomis Chaffee–$203 m

19. St. Andrew’s School–$195 m

20. Hill School–$153 m

21. St. George’s school–$145 m

22. St. Mark’s School–$141 m

23. Northfield Mount Herman–$139 m

24. Thacher School–$137 m

25. Berkshire–$134 m

26. Baylor–$130 m

27. Blair Academy–$101 m

28. McCallie School–$93 m

Cate School–$90 m
Kent School–$87 m
Concord Academy–$72 m
Brooks School–$71 m
Wyoming Seminary–$60 m
Asheville School–$48 m
Portsmouth Abbey–$48 m
Tabor Academy–$44 m
Millbrook School–$36 m
Fountain Valley School–$38 m
Lawrence Academy–$29 m
Hun–$23 m
St. Andrew’s Sewanee–$19 m
Tallulah Falls–$30 m

Almost certainly some of these numbers need to be updated. I did not include several schools such as Miss Porter’s and other all female schools because they did not align with my project.

Some may prefer to list by endowment per student. In that case, I suspect that St. Paul’s School with an endowment of $633,000,000 and only about 540 students might be at the top of the list.

I did not include day-only prep schools. Typically, The Westminster Schools in Atlanta, Georgia tops that ranking.

Wow, those are some big numbers. Some of the top schools have endowments which are larger than many colleges.

A co-ed day prep school, The Westminster Schools in Atlanta reported an endowment of $260 million a couple of years ago.

Among all girls schools, Hockaday School in Dallas, Texas reported an endowment of $160 million within the past few years.
The following may be a couple of years old:

Miss Porter’s School–$125 million

Emma Willard School–$93 million
Foxcroft School–$80 m

Madeira–$62 m
Westover–$61 m
Chatham Hall–$60 m

Dana Hall–$55 m

But also keep in mind that HYPS (plus UT) all exceed $25 Bn.

But what can a person do with that information? What conclusions can be drawn? Should endowment factor into the choice of where to apply? If so, why?

Hopefully look through the old thread first to see if questions are answered:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/2063974-boarding-school-endowments-p1.html

Wow! Deja vu…only off by one day.

Just in case future applicants stumble upon this thread and assume the higher the endowment, the higher the chance for generous financial aid: Our most generous financial aid offers did NOT come from the schools with the highest endowments or endowments per student on our list.

Kent’s recent fundraising campaign has pushed it over 100 M. Not sure what the actual number is.

I was just about to post the link ski posted. What is the purpose of this re-tread? It doesn’t provide any information that is useful in making a decision about a school. Perhaps we should post a list of boarding schools by the color of bricks in their buildings.

If there is some particular discussion the OP wishes to generate, it would be helpful to to put that context around the list. Otherwise, nothing to see here.

Do the endowment numbers include the value of land and buildings or do they represent only cash, securities and private equity investments?

These are updated numbers from last year’s numbers.

For those who think that school endowments are irrelevant, I suggest that you read the threads concerning Hampshire College & recent college closings.

If you want to pretend that all the benefits of a private school education come without cost, then that can be your fantasy.

I am always amazed at those who disparage the importance of a school’s endowment.

If I were to list the top 10 National Universities & the top 10 LACs next to the top 10 list of endowments for National Universities & LACs, then the importance of endowment might be more clear.

For example, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford & MIT are usually regarded as the top 5 universities in the country. Is it just a coincidence that these same top 5 universities also have the top 5 endowments ?

Accordingly, Andover, Exeter, St. Paul’s, Deerfield, Lawrenceville, Hotchkiss. Choate & Groton are widely regarded as the top ranked & most prestigious boarding schools. Is it just a coincidence that all also rank among the top 10 endowments for all prep schools whether boarding or day ?

@Temperantia: You are correct. Kent School now reports an endowment of roughly $132,000,000.

Alas, it is nearly impossible to find data that attributes a person’s success to their having attended a university with a large endowment. When you compare equally credentialed students, you find that “how” they approach college is more of a factor than the name on the diploma or the college’s ranking on a list designed to boost circulation and sell ads.

Are schools with high endowments more financially stable? Undoubtedly. Do they have shinier facilities and more robust marketing campaigns? Sure. Do their graduates have better teachers than students at other schools? Not necessarily.

But the individuals who attend schools with healthy endowments are given more opportunities.

Teachers, professors. maintenance workers & administrators do not work for free.

Schools with tight budgets often resort to large classes in an effort to economize.

LACs (liberal arts colleges) with the largest endowments are:

Williams College-- #1 US News

Univ. of Richmond–#25 US News

Amherst College-- #2 US News

Pomona College–#5 US News

Swarthmore College–#3 US News

Wellesley College–#3 US News

Smith College–#11US News

Washington & Lee–#11 US News

Bowdoin College–#5 US News

Middlebury College–#5 US News

Vassar College–#11 US News

Schools with the largest endowments tend to be the highest ranked whether an LAC or a National University or a Prep Boarding School. Why ? Because they can & do provide the best resources which attract the best students & teachers.

Also, the prep boarding schools with the largest endowments also have the largest financial aid budgets by far.

Financial aid budgets per school can be easily researched & verified.

Phillips Academy at Andover is a truly needs blind school for admissions.

St. Paul’s School provides free tuition, fees, room & board (and often more) for all accepted students from families earning $125,000 or less per year. Plus, considerable financial aid is awarded to families earning substantially more who demonstrate need.

Exeter is extremely generous with financial aid as well.

P.S. If one were to make a list of the prep boarding schools with the largest financial aid budgets, it would almost certainly fall in line with the same ranking for largest to smallest endowments.

@Publisher One might assume that a school with a higher endowment and higher financial aid budget would be more generous when providing FA to one’s child. THAT WAS NOT ACTUALLY THE CASE WHEN WE APPLIED. The most generous FA offer came from a smaller school with a smaller endowment.

Endowment per student might be a better measure of opportunity and stability, too, since larger schools have larger expenses, too… and endowments might be used for graduate programs that don’t directly benefit underclassmen. One of my best friends went to Harvard and only had one class taught by a professor her first year. (Nearly all of my freshman classes were small and taught by professors.)