General airline travel thread

Since Airline policies on seating for plus sized customers- your thoughts? has a tendency to wander into general airline travel comments (as opposed to those specifically relating to customer of size issues), here is a general airline travel thread.

I will start it off with a comment that, in airline jargon, “direct flight” does not mean “non-stop flight”. Avoid using “direct flight” when talking to airline employees or travel agents when you really mean “non-stop flight”.

A “direct flight” uses the same flight number for all segments, but may stop some place along the way. On some airlines, such a stop may require changing planes, which could result in missing the connection to the next segment.

12 Likes

Does anyone know about these online booking agents? FlyVagari and AranGrant?

Ok, I just have to say this…
Every flight needs to stop at least once :).

Sorry, my husband reminds me of this whenever I talk about non-stop flights.

Carry on

2 Likes

That’s like the George Carlin routine - “In the event of a water landing…planes don’t land on water.”

1 Like

He does address non-stop flights. “I insist that my flight stop - preferably at an airport.”

Also addresses plus sized customers but I can’t quote it here.

My pilot friend says that the goal is simply zero airspeed at the gate.

1 Like

Thanks for this!! I went down a George Carlin rabbit hole on YouTube. Comic genius

5 Likes

Related to actual air travel - Who else feels like they have to fly in earlier than the actual day you need to be someplace, just to help make sure you’re there on-time?
We have 2 bike trips in other countries coming up, and both require multiple planes. I’m worried 3 days ahead may not be enough for our trip that leaves the east coast in winter. If I were flying in the day before I’d be a wreck leading up to the trip.

5 Likes

We always travel the day before, sometimes 2-3 days, if going internationally. We just plan it into the trip to do some low key site seeing and time zone adjusting if everything is on time. I’d be a stressed out mess otherwise. That said, I don’t know that I would go more than 3 days unless it was a last minute change based on weather forecasts.

3 Likes

For those flying out of Boston, one of the major tunnels to the airport is closing for TWO MONTHS, July and August. Authorities are suggesting that travelers add TWO HOURS(!) to their expected travel time to the airport. Unbelievable!.

Set to re-open at the end of August. Thankfully, we don’t fly again until late-September. Even with an extension to the work period, we should be OK (we fervently pray!)

The most tone-deaf, I feel, suggestion, is to use the subway. Schlepping luggage on the subway is not my idea of a good time. Not everyone is 25 yrs old and traveling with all their possessions in a backpack.

2 Likes

I am not anticipating flying anywhere during that period, but I don’t have to take the tunnels to get to Logan if I need to.

1 Like

We’re flying a full week before a wedding. Even that concerns me. There were reports of passengers being stuck for 5 days due to the most recent cancellations. You would think that summer travel would not have as many weather related delays and cancellations, but since planes are now so full, there are not many open seats.

If we have to, we can drive to our destination – but over 36 hours!

We planned a trip to Europe for august almost a year ago. I have now changed flights three times to try and make sure we actually get there and get home, changed time and arrival city to make everything as direct and simple as possible. I am still not optimistic it will all happen.

2 Likes

On many of my trips, I have taken subways or buses out of the airport to the destination. 25 years old for me was decades ago, but I generally prefer to travel with a carry on backpack.

2 Likes

Obviously, each connection increases the risk. If there is need to go through immigration and customs during a connection, that increases the risk of missing the connection due to slow queues at immigration and customs, in addition to flight delay risks.

3 Likes

You’re not helping my stress level :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw a segment on this on our local news station. Just my opinion but I think this will become more common.

Ok, that is weird, we have been there many time and Dubrovnik has a direct flight to Newark so many people fly from there to the us. Definitely a weird hill to die on, the town has no cars, is very tight and there are lots of porters moving around with things on wheels. I just read the article, that is very, very odd.

3 Likes

A historic place with uneven ground, cobblestones, etc. is probably a bad place for a wheeled suitcase anyway.

4 Likes

It surprised me, but I understand the problem they’re trying to address. Wheeled luggage on cobblestone is loud and frankly a bit annoying.

The reason I think this ban will be interesting to follow is that it reminded me of a couple of our Europe trips where it (luggage noise) was an issue. If I remember correctly the accommodations we stayed at on Ile Saint-Louis and in Amsterdam had some kind of warning about noise from luggage. The locals didn’t want to contend with noise during certain hours and that was understandable.

1 Like