Airline policies on seating for plus sized customers- your thoughts?

This is such a tough situation for all. No easy answer. But this article seems to support that airlines should have their policies clearly delineated. I can see both sides of this issue. Have been on flights where I paid for a full seat but was unable to access more than a part of that seat, and nowhere to move to. There was another article recently (I’ll post it if I can find it) where a passenger did move in order to be more comfortable and the plus sized flier waited for her when they deplaned to shame her for embarrassing them on the flight. Here’s the more recent article. I’ll look for the other. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/plus-size-travelers-slam-airline-seat-policies

1 Like

Where do you draw the line? A certain weight? Hip size? BMI? How about REALLY tall people with long legs that take up leg space of the person next to them?

Dicey.

4 Likes

I recommend The Maintenance Phase podcast. Air travel came up in an episode.

I’m for being empathetic. It’s just a flight. But I definitely am learning a lot from this podcast that I didn’t know.

2 Likes

All fair questions. Do the tall people infringe on other people’s space? Can’t they book a bulkhead or exit row for more room?

1 Like

There are many comments on this issue in Quora. Sitting next to someone who asks to raise the bar between seats, spills into you, etc., is difficult. If that person could afford it, I’d definitely pay for a better seat.

1 Like

Here’s that other article I’d seen recently: Plus-Sized Woman Shames Passengers Who Moved Seats To Have More Room On Flight - View from the Wing (the comments are interesting)

1 Like

I haven’t experienced it - sitting next to someone exceptionally tall - but I imagine it could be a problem. With airline seats getting scooped up so quickly (less flights it seems) those bulkhead/exit row seats may not be available.

I’m not saying I don’t see some reasoning for the article idea….I’m just saying the logistics could be really tricky to say the least!

I’ve experienced it and it’s quite uncomfortable, but I don’t think of it as the problem of the overweight passenger, I think of it as the problem of airlines that make ridiculously small seats. I’m a smaller person and find I barely have enough room. I can’t imagine being an average, much less very large person, trying to sit in that seat for a long period of time.

26 Likes

I am quite tall. I used to always book a bulkhead or exit if I could. Way back when exit rows were only assigned in the airport I used to show up early to improve my chances to get one. However, they are often gone. Now they are assigned ahead of time just like other seats and generally go quickly.

Economy Plus (or the equivalent on other airlines) is a big win for tall people. I always pay for it, and try to only fly on flights were “more legroom seats” are available. However it is not any wider than normal economy seats.

Business class is a big win where available, but can cost quite a bit in some cases.

I agree with @vwlizard that airplane seats are too small. Also, Americans are often not small.

7 Likes

The example shows the customer of size sitting in a Southwest Airlines aircraft.

Southwest Airlines actually has a detailed customer of size policy: Customer of Size Information | Southwest Airlines

The Southwest Airlines policy is actually pretty generous – a customer of size (defined as someone who cannot sit in the seat with the armrest down) should buy a second ticket to reserve the space (i.e. prevent a situation where the flight is full, but not all of the passengers can fit because the customer of size requires two seats), but the ticket is refunded after the flight.

Weight sometimes matters on small aircraft where weight distribution matters, but generally not on large aircraft.

The Southwest Airlines customer of size policy defines customer of size as someone who cannot sit in the seat with the armrest down. Granted, it is not perfect, since someone can “overflow” over the armrest (including broad shouldered people who would not ordinarily be considered obese), but it is an easy to use measure that does not require any judgement calls or weighing.

Seems like this is rare enough that airlines may not have policies on that… though such a person could sit in an aisle seat and hope no one trips over them.

H and I were discussing this at dinner.

I am in favor of a clear, preferably standardized policy of what to do.

I am not in favor of the “I am one person. I should only pay for 1 seat even if I spill over into the next seat.” The other person paid for 1 seat and they shouldn’t have to settle for 1/2.

I can see the argument for the airlines providing a free extra seat for a large person, but that means they lose $$$. They lose $$$ then everyone’s tickets are going to be that much more expensive. Southwest’s policy seems like a pretty good idea.

10 Likes

If there are empty seats on the plane, I believe Southwest would then refund the second ticket if it allows the person to sit in two seats without paying for two seats

1 Like

I remember that being the old policy. The current policy found on the web site is more generous, in that they will always refund the extra customer of size seat after the flight.

Nice. The other airlines should follow suit.

I do agree that airplane seats are too small. That being said, I do think it’s reasonable that airlines can/should charge extra for overweight people. Most ladies who wear stockings know sizing is based on height and weight. Airlines can come out with such scale. We pay for overweight suitcases, not sure why we should apply it to people. It’s physics, no two things can occupy the same space at the same time. As a small person, I get upset when I have lose the space I paid for.
Airlines could upgrade or give additional space to their frequent flyer customers and charge extra for their regular customers.

5 Likes

We have been fortunate and have not personally had this issue. We nearly always are economy plus and I’m at the windows and H beside me.

I agree airlines are squeezing seats to very very narrow and tiny seats, especially in economy. I am small to medium frame, 5’6” and close to ideal BMI. Some economy seats barely fit me and my narrow shoulders!

2 Likes

But if they give out the second seat for free, I’m going to ask for one too I’m large but can fit into the seat without a seat belt extender. However, I’m always thrilled when I get an empty seat beside me because I can use the tray table in the middle for my drink, can use the under seat room for my purse (and thus not have anything by my feet), can lift the arm rest and feel a little more comfortable. If I book it that way I don’t think anyone at the airport or on the flight will say “Hey, you’re not fat enough to qualify for the extra seat for free!” I think musicians will start claiming to be fat when booking to get the extra seat for their cellos and tubas. Parents of infants to get the extra seat for their babies.

And the lady in the article needs TWO FULL SEATS? She said when she flies with her boyfriend that the two of them can’t fit in three seats, can’t move around the plane to use the bathroom? That doesn’t seem like it is safe to fly.

3 Likes

Ugh yes. That is definitely true. I guess the policy of having to buy 2 and then possibly getting $$$ back if there’s enough room is likely best. I wouldn’t pay for 2 just because I want it.

1 Like

Doctors offices often now have oversized seats. Could planes? Instead of (3) across, perhaps they should have a small percentage of (2) across, and instead of charging double, charge an upcharge. Or a few more with slightly more legroom – and charge a small upcharge.
I’m wondering if ADA regulations might start requiring a limited number of larger seats, just as it requires a limited number of handicap bathroom stalls.

3 Likes