Get All Your ED Questions Answered! Exclusive ASK ME ANYTHING w/ NYU on Thu, Oct 20 5-6pm ET

We are super excited to announce an exclusive live forum event featuring Kennedy Carlick (a.k.a. @KennedyAdmNYU), Senior Assistant Director of Admissions at New York University, and Ivan Brea (a.k.a. @IvanStudentNYU), NYU Class of 2023.

The event will take place here in the comments section below on Thursday, Oct 20 from 5-6pm ET.

As you work to submit your EA/ED applications, this is a great opportunity to get your questions answered by @KennedyAdmNYU and @IvanStudentNYU. Kennedy is well-versed in all application matters, while Ivan applied ED to NYU so can share the student perspective.

The AMA is FREE for all registered users. If you don’t have an account yet, REGISTER NOW!

Make sure to submit questions for the live event by commenting below. Also, fill out the poll below and let us know why you’re excited about this event.

**Please note that the event will cover only admissions or student life related questions, anything off topic will be dismissed and comments may be removed.

6 Likes
Why are you interested in this event w/ NYU?
  • planning to apply EA/ED
  • planning to apply ED to NYU
  • planning to apply to NYU in the future
  • interested in getting my admissions question answered by a top school
  • interested in finding out about student life at NYU

0 voters

Get instant notifications when new questions are asked or be the first to know when the live event starts by “watching” or “tracking” this discussion. Just adjust your setting to the below:

Hello thank you for the opportunity to ask a question. This is something that has been really confusing for me and for my family for a long time. As you know, both the Tisch school of the arts and Steinhardt offer a music theater degree. I have read the essay that is on the NYU website but frankly it does very little to illuminate why there are two different degree plans. I don’t really even understand the distinction of Tisch being for the actor who sings versus Steinhardt being for the singer who acts. That is not a true distinction and it does not help people understand which to apply to. My question specifically is what are the different courses of study between the two schools and what type of support do graduates from either school reasonably expect to get in terms of opportunities to audition and actually launch a career. I have heard story after story of students graduating from Tisch and then ending up being in completely different fields because there really are too many students and not enough opportunities to actually launch professional careers. Given the extremely high cost of living in NY I would appreciate any information on what these two schools do to help actors launch careers on or off Broadway, and what are the concrete distinctions between the degree plans offered by these two schools. Thank you

1 Like

@CC_Sorin Again just to clarify this is for the music theatre degree offered by each school. Thank you again.

can I start asking my questions now?

1 Like

Do those who apply through Early Decision I have a higher chance of admission than Early Decision II applicants? What is the true distinction between them?

9 Likes

As an undergraduate of CAS studying sociology can I do research with prof from the Wagner school? Can I take a major at CAS and minor at Wagner?

1 Like

@Blessing10, yes, you can post your questions now and they will be answered during the live event tomorrow.

I am reasking in case I posted too early yesterday.

Hello! And thank you for the opportunity to ask a question. This is something that has been really confusing for me and for my family for a long time. As you know, both the Tisch school of the arts and Steinhardt offer a music theater degree. I have read the essay that is on the NYU website but frankly it does very little to illuminate why there are two different degree plans. I don’t really even understand the distinction of Tisch being for the actor who sings versus Steinhardt being for the singer who acts. That is not a true distinction and it does not help people understand which to apply to. My question specifically is what are the different courses of study between the two schools and what type of support do graduates from either school reasonably expect to get in terms of opportunities to audition and actually launch a career. I have heard story after story of students graduating from Tisch and then ending up being in completely different fields because there really are too many students and not enough opportunities to actually launch professional careers. Given the extremely high cost of living in NY I would appreciate any information on what these two schools do to help actors launch careers on or off Broadway, and what are the concrete distinctions between the degree plans offered by these two schools. Again this is for the music theatre degree. Thank you

1 Like

I thought of another question. If a student applies ED II into one of the acting studios for Tisch are the chances of getting in significantly less bc it’s generally understood that they get close to filled with ED I applicants? I’m particularly taking about music theatre or film acting. Also, can a student designate a specific studio to base their ED application on? Like can they designate music theatre to the exclusion of others? Can they designate film acting? Thank you so much for the opportunity to ask these questions.

Thank you for this opportunity. I have two questions: 1. Do you have average GPA/test score information for undergraduate students accepted ED last year to the Stern School of Business? If not, can you say if those numbers differed significantly from NYU overall last year?
Secondly, I have heard that there have been problems submitting the NYU supplementary essay through the Common App. Have those problems been solved?

4 Likes

Hello from France,
As an international student (junior IB), my daughter is advised not to apply for ED at NYU Tisch (UFGTV) as she will have very little chance of getting a scholarship. Is the decision to give a scholarship or not the same whether you apply for ED or RD? Thank you in advance for your reply.

1 Like

If a student applies ED to a specific program or school, but lists others as backup choices, is there a possibility that they will be accepted ED to NYU but not to their specific program of choice? If that happens, is ED still binding?

4 Likes

I am a senior in high school applying early decision to NYU. My selected major is IMA in NYU’s Tisch school of arts. On the common app, I have the choice of choosing up to 10 other majors in case I don’t get accepted to IMA. My question revolves around the process. Based on Tisch’s website, the separate Tisch admission officers do not look at common app but rather the creative portfolio one submits a few days after the ED application. In case I am rejected by IMA, do the regular admission officers get back to my application to see if I fit elsewhere or have they already previously reviewed it? How would that process look like?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

3 Likes

Hello from New Jersey!

I’m a senior in high school applying ED or ED 2, looking to attend either Gallatin or Stern with a focus in marketing. I was just wondering how much emphasis was put on the activities section of the Common App, especially considering the amount of activities that were cancelled and/or postponed during COVID. For me, I also wasn’t able to participate in many activities due to the fact that I was commuting to and from school. Where would I write about this?

1 Like

Hi! Thank you so much for to opportunity to learn more about NYU! Can you please share some traits that you look for in a Gallatin student? Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the chance to ask questions about the college application process. I am currently
planning on applying ED1 to NYU and was wondering if a certain school is more selective for acceptance for instance my first choice of major is within the Stern school of business, however my alternatives are within the College of Arts and Sciences. Additionally, I wanted to know if NYU tracks demonstrated interest as I plan to take a in person campus tour tomorrow. Thank you!

Dev Patel

3 Likes

Hello, wanted to know the acceptance percentage difference between ED1 and ED2, if there is one…thank you!

1 Like

A series of questions from reddit:

• Why does NYU take so much (>66%) of the class in the ED rounds?
  • Why has NYU discontinued publishing the number of students they take ED in the newest CDS?
  • Why won’t NYU disclose how many students they place-on and admit-off of the waitlist?

In other words, is this a case of having your cake (higher yield rates) and eating it too (low acceptance rates)?