Not the greatest stats but chance me for Rutgers,Purdue,NYU Stern,etc

I see that more info was posted at Chance me for Engineering at Purdue/Rutgers/Mass/Georgia Tech? - College Admissions - College Confidential Forums and that your SAT score is now 1540. Congrats! Probably unlike what most people think, I believe that retaking it next week makes sense. 1570+ can make a difference for merit scholarships.

Your counselor is right to tell you that you are aiming a bit too high. The probability of you getting into Georgia Tech is undeniably 0.

The other thread that @momprof9904 linked to in post #17 is a very good source of information as you are in a similar situation.

Again, assuming you are a NJ resident, you must apply to NJIT and Rowan on top of Rutgers!

If you want to go out-of-state, make sure you can afford it. Going out-of-state typically means no need-based financial help.

That said, merit scholarships are possible out-of-state, provided you settle for schools that are not in the top 20.

I recommend that you look at this list of engineering schools that are known to value high SAT scores (so they can go up the rankings) and are likely to overlook a not-so-great GPA:
College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022 - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums. All the ones in the top 100 have very good engineering programs, and some of them will offer merit based on the SAT score.

2 Likes