Value of BS, long term

I agree with this and had no knowledge of this benefit when our son was applying. When I say “hit the ground running,” I’m not just referring to freshman year logistics. I’m referring to the consumption level of all four years of college. Our BS kids not only make the initial transition with ease, they move through all fours years better prepared to be savvy consumers of all their colleges have to offer. They’ve also accumulated a confidence, sophistication, and ease in their skin that I believe helps them navigate and take advantage of their college years at their highest level.

I have also posted many times over the years that the very best thing our son got from Choate was crew. It definitely “coaxed something fundamentally different” out of him that he never could have gotten at home. He was pudgy when he enter BS and had zero athletics prior. He worried about the sports requirement because, not only had he never played a sport or thrown a ball, he never watched sports or had any interest. When he had to choose an activity at BS, he looked at the physiques of the rowers and thought, “I want to look like that!” Believe me, he had a long way to go but, by the end of freshman year, we hardly recognized the kid we’d dropped off in September. He stuck with rowing and made the varsity team his junior year. He got that physique. Then, he chose the military for college and had to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), first to qualify for an appointment and then multiple times a year at the academy. Fail it twice in row, you get separated; fail before graduation, you don’t graduate. Fitness is an ingrained part of his life now.

It took courage for our formerly bullied out-of-shape son to show up for crew, but he said that no one made fun of him or made him feel unwelcome. In fact, the experienced rowers were very patient with him, and it was their kindness and encouragement that helped him stick with it. We were so impressed by their inclusiveness. Given how transformative crew was for him, it trumped academics by far. He didn’t have to work anywhere near as hard on his schoolwork as he did on his body, and his teammates encouraged him every step of the way. We are forever grateful to Choate for giving him an opportunity to be part of a team and all that entailed. He went on to row at West Point and, sophomore year, his four took the gold in its class at the New York State Championships. He hung up his oar after that to focus on competing on the Cyber Team, but rowing is in his blood now, and he continues to erg and row for personal pleasure. Again, another priceless gift.

9 Likes