1st Semester & Transfer Discussion

<p>Hey guys, I'm a freshman at NVCC (Just started in August), looking to transfer to Virginia Tech majoring in ME, in two years. Unfortunately I couldn't get the college vibe down in the first half of the semester. I'm taking 12 credits, got my AP credits for English thank god.</p>

<p>Communications: A (Shouldn't even be a class tbh)
Engineering Elective: Haven't taken midterm yet but I should have an A - 2 credit class.
Calc: 75%
Chemistry: 78%</p>

<p>Well so far I'm busting my tail off to get a B in calculus since I screwed a lot of things up and Chemistry is just a matter of pushing it a little further for a B or running the big mile for an A.</p>

<p>At first I was convinced by one of my friends to withdraw Calc because of my 70% a few weeks ago and I guess I decided to get back in with it because a W would look like crap on my records and quitting isn't my thing. Realistically I'm probably going to end up with a GPA somewhere from 2.5-3.25... I'm just trying to figure out if that's crap or not.</p>

<p>I read the actual letter of Guaranteed transfer agreement it says you need a B in all math and science classes to guarantee a spot in the engineering program... Not sure if that is a solid letter B or the average has to be a 3.0...</p>

<p>I'm trying to get a sense of what level I need to be on if any of it matters though I do understand, worst comes to worst all I can do is focus on what I messed up on and improve on it.</p>

<p>I also have a part time job... Min-wage, work like 2 days a week. Not sure if I should quit.</p>

<p>I was in the exact same position a while back, even having a 2 day part time job except my major was BioChem. For the grading, you should push for an A or a B for both Math and Chemistry because that will count in determining your admission. Regarding your part time job, it depends on your own situation. If you feel that it has no effect on your grades then I’d keep it. For me, I worked on the weekends and studied through the weekdays and it worked out great. I don’t mean to brag but, I personally had A’s and B’s in all of my classes. I hope you are using ratemyprofessor to get the best teachers because that’s what you have to do at Nova. Find the best teachers and work hard. All in all your gpa should atleast be around a 3.4-3.6 whenever you feel like transferring. Hope this helps. You have to aim high so aiming for a 3.6+ gpa will definitely help…</p>