2010 USNWR Rankings

<p>" Honestly I think UCD is more of a flagship than SD "</p>

<p>Although both UC Davis and UC San Diego are both extremely good schools, at the end of the day the flagship(s) of California will be UC Berkeley and UCLA, not UC Davis, SB, I or San Diego</p>

<p>All this contention about rankings… And here I thought the quality of one’s undergraduate education had more to do with the individual than the institution.</p>

<p>How wrong I was!</p>

<p>UCSD just has alot of world renown research going on. They also really boast a faculty of nobel winners and high end researchers. Just that stuff alone can appeal greatly over smaller things like D1 sports. </p>

<p>The student body itself works hard (arguably because students won’t have much else to do) and as a result, will usually go on to pretty decent grad or professional schools. I’m not sure if that’s a factor but I could see that happening. </p>

<p>It may also have to do with the renown programs with the impacted biology and bioengineering departments. </p>

<p>It’s kind of hard to make a post like this since everyone on this thread seems to be hating on UCSD haha but I’m just answering the question as to what makes UCSD higher than alot of the UC’s. Remember, you don’t have to like a school to make it ranked high. </p>

<p>I also agree with amby. No school can be called “more of a flagship” since the only REAL flagship schools in the UC systems are obviously Berkeley and UCLA. Sorry but that won’t be changing for a LONG time. As in… ever haha.</p>

<p>By the way HermanLiu, haha where are you getting this mindset of UCSD students? Ppl aren’t overly proud of SD, you can even see that in the school spirit differences.</p>

<p>i have nothing against ucsd. maybe I just worded some things oddly and in a way somehow sounded mean. I agree with whoever said UCSD has top notch researchers and nobel prize winners. I actually really like UCSD myself, it was one of my top choices and I didn’t go because I have a sick family. Please don’t mistake me, but I just wanted to know what was actually giving UCSD its spot over the others and the answer has yet to come. I asked a question and all that came was a guy throwing down that UCR is best. (btw, it definitely is a good school, but ‘best’ and throwing down other schools is kind of immature. but at the same time… i know how you feel, I see people hating on UCSC, UCM, and UCR all over these forums. Very immature, but I guess thats how people are.)</p>

<p>Amby, I don’t think CAL will ever step down as the flagship of the UC system. (and UCLA too if there can be 2 flagships… can there? O_O ) </p>

<p>OoPurestOo, what mindset? the cocky and selfish? It just seemed like that from their proposal to close down SC, M, and R. I totally understand how closing the schools down might potentially actually be a good catalyst to recover the UC system… but what if it doesn’t work? wouldn’t the UC be in a debt? I’m not a financial genious, I’m just looking at this from a recent high-school graduate’s point of view.</p>

<p>This is totally random, but for alumni giving rate… notice how the school with most white people has the highest return rate? as to the schools with relatively more asians have the lowest? XD Totally random thought. (not being racist or hating, im chinese myself.)</p>

<p>savethemanatees, oh you are sooo wrong! :smiley:
haha, i think any school is fine as long as you succeed as a student there :]</p>

<p>" SD ppl seem to think they r at the flagship level. "</p>

<p>Not to sound mean but there are some really awesome ppl at UCSD, such as Purest and alumni astrina.
Just cuz the professor said something doesn’t mean that all the students are in agreement with him/her.</p>

<p>Hermanliu320 : i think the real CA flagship is UC Berkeley ( ‘Cal’ ) but since UCLA is such a popular university around the world , it gets thrown as a flagship a lot.</p>

<p>Jason, Which ranking gives UCR #101 spot in the world?</p>

<p>its the ARWU ranking</p>

<p>HeY jason we should just go to Cal poly since its number one LOL!!!</p>

<p>Think about it. a mere ten to twenty ranks between the UC’s won’t matter much at all. Love where you’re going or be miserable where you’re going, just don’t bag on other schools. When you all graduate or go on to grad schools you will probably care less anyway.</p>

<p>On a second thought, heck, we are all part of the UC system. Let’s cheer when fellow UC schools go up the rankings.</p>

<p>*Hi rc251,</p>

<p>Can you post the peer assessment survey, acceptance rate, high school class - top 10%, and SAT/ACT scores?</p>

<p>Thanks! *</p>

<p>Sorry for the really late response, but here goes. I’ve only done year to year changes for peer assessment so I could get this posted faster.</p>

<p>Peer Assessment
UCB: 4.7 (same)
UCLA: 4.2 (same)
UCSD: 3.8 (same)
UCD: 3.8 (same)
UCSB: 3.5 (same)
UCI: 3.6 (+1)
UCSC: 3.1 (same)
UCR: 3.0 (-1)</p>

<p>Acceptance Rate
UCB: 22%
UCLA: 23%
UCSD: 42%
UCD: 53%
UCSB: 49%
UCI: 49%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 78%</p>

<p>Top 10%
UCB: 98%
UCLA: 97%
UCSD: 93%
UCD: 94%
UCSB: 94%
UCI: 91%
UCSC: 96%
UCR: 94%</p>

<p>SAT
UCB: 1210-1470
UCLA: 1170-1410
UCSD: 1140-1370
UCD: 1050-1300
UCSB: 1080-1320
UCI: 1090-1300
UCSC: 1040-1270
UCR: 920-1170</p>

<p>Thanks rc251!</p>

<p>I presume that at least the next five years will be more volatile given the recession, budget cuts, smaller endowment projections (for private schools), increased fees, and the 2012 graduating class having a different set of criteria for getting into the UCs.</p>

<p>Haha another year and Cal still didn’t break into the top 20. It’s stayed at #21 for a little too long, and in all honesty it deserves to be above those ranked #17-20. Not much seems to have changed from last year’s rankings.</p>

<p>I think the top 20 spots are reserved for only the privates</p>

<p>rc251: how recent are those? A couple of the admission % are off, I think…</p>

<p>Also, guys, why does everyone call UCLA a flagship?
There can only be one flagship per public school system, and it is and always will be Berkeley, and only Berkeley…</p>

<p>And amby, sadly you are correct, all because of endowment, etc. Public schools get hurt here.</p>

<p>dmission, the 2010 rankings use last year’s data. It would be dumb for them to use this year’s as the school year hasn’t even started, so there is nothing to judge. Next year’s rankings will use this year’s data.</p>

<p>rc251: how recent are those? A couple of the admission % are off, I think…</p>

<p>Fall 2008.</p>

<p>I think ucb will blast into the top 20 eventually…
dmission, what campus do you attend or attended? you are very pro-cal. so am i, but yeah, im an aggie XD</p>

<p>lol
i believe dmission is an aggie as well :slight_smile:
awesome guy/girl also</p>

<p>I think ucb will blast into the top 20 eventually…</p>

<p>I don’t think it will… Berkeley has an extremely high peer assessment rating, which is 25% of the score, so it’s loosing places based on the objective data that US News uses. Faculty Resources and Financial Resources, which is 30% of the score, will always be lower at Berkeley compared to private schools because that’s just the way public schools are. Berkeley has a low alumni giving rate (even for publics, even UCSB beats it out by 5%), and graduation and retention rates will always hurt due to it being a public school again.</p>