2014 Sorority Recruitment Recommendation Letters

<p>Many of us have daughters who will be going through sorority recruitment in the fall. If you are a sorority alumni and would consider writing recommendation letters, please post your affiliation in this thread. Our girls will follow through with required resume, photo, etc. Thank you in advance!</p>

<p>I think you misunderstand the reason for letters of recommendation. It’s not just a signature on a piece of paper. It’s a personal recommendation based on the writer’s knowledge of your daughter and/or family. That’s why it’s best to seek recommendations among your family friends. Start asking now among friends, your daughter’s teachers, family and acquaintances. You’ll be surprised how many sorority alumnae you know.</p>

<p>I would agree. While a rec will get you on a sororities radar the true purpose is to highlight your qualities that you will bring to the sisterhood and how your personality and passions will meld with sorority members. In the past I have referred to it as a “selfie” on paper. So…while I know that some of you are struggling to find recs I would encourage you to attempt to get them from women who know your daughter, know you or acquainted with your family. When looking at recommendations, those that personally speak about the pnm give a lot more insight into who that girl is. </p>

<p>I want to add that I am often asked to write a recommendation on a young lady whom I do NOT know, nor do I know her family. However, I can usually find a mutual friend whose judgment I trust who knows the family and can tell me about them. First degree is always best, but sometimes it’s just not possible.;)</p>

<p>Same here :). When asked to write a rec for a girl I don’t know I will spend time on the phone with them sometimes we skype…if they are local I meet them for coffee. For those of you who are out there searching…if you are reaching out to ladies you don’t have a personal connection with or perhaps a friend of a friend be prepared and willing to spend time talking with them so that they can "get to know you ". </p>

<p>Thanks for all your input! I guess I should have included the information that my daughter has been working hard on this and does have many good recs lined up. She has asked family, friends, teachers, coaches, etc. and is now simply looking to ‘fill in the gaps’ where needed. She will continue to utilize her resources but I thought it would be a good idea to post here, just in case. We are attending a local Panhellenic event next weekend and are very much looking forward to that. :)</p>

<p>it’s still early … keep asking. also, follow up with people who say they will write for you. some say they will and don’t follow through. my daughter had this happen more than once. >:(</p>

<p>if you have a local panhellenic, maybe you could get them to fill in the gaps.</p>

<p>Sounds like your daughter is on the ball! Alumnae panhellenics are a HUGE help in filling in those gaps! Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Just want to update on this: We attended our local Panhellenic event yesterday, and it was great. Very positive and lots of good information. I encourage each and every one of you who is about to go through recruitment to register with your local council and attend their event if possible. I got the impression that all Penhellenic councils are more than happy to be a resource during recruitment. One thing they kept repeating: Keep and open mind and trust in the process.</p>