2015 African American Results Thread

<p>Accepted: Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Stanford (Attending), Williams College, Amherst College, Bowdoin College, Swarthmore College, UChicago, Rice University, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Davis, Xavier University and 4 California State Universities</p>

<p>Waitlisted: Tulane University and Washington University in St. Louis </p>

<p>Rejected: none</p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<pre><code>* SAT: 1870 - 610 CR, 670 M, 590 W

• SAT IIs: 700 Chemistry, 670 Math II
  • GPA: 4.255 weighted, unweighted- 4.00
  • AP Courses: none
  • Other Stats: Completed almost 100 units of college courses which includes college math and science courses such as Calculus I, II, III, and Differential Equations. I will be graduating with my A.A degree in Liberal Arts with a concentration in math and science and an A.S. in Mathematics.
    </code></pre>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<pre><code>* Essays: Well-written and different (I chose seemingly random subjects such as burritos-Stanford roommate essay-and wrote on it)

• Teacher Recs: Saw them, English teacher, history teacher, chemistry professor
  • Counselor Rec: Saw it
  • Hooks: URM, Twin, Low-income, economic adversities
    </code></pre>

<p>Location/Person:</p>

<pre><code>* State or Country: California

• School Type: Alternative public
  • Major strengths/weaknesses: Weakness-low SAT scores
  • Why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I’m a very strong applicant despite my test scores. My passion and strength despite adversities were clear in my application.
  • significant awards/recognitions: QuestBridge College Prep Scholar, Gates Millinneium Scholar 2011, Students Rising Above Class of 2011, Discus Award Winner (09-11), UC Berkeley Regents Scholar and IAP Scholar, Columbia Kluge Scholar
  • Summer activities: I’ve taken college summer courses. Last summer while taking college courses I did research at UCSF through the Biomedical and Health Sciences Internship.
    </code></pre>

<p>new post, just got off Princeton’s waitlist.</p>

<p>Updated
Stats[list]
[ *]SAT:2250 (highest composite score Cr:800 M:690 760W)
[ *]SAT IIs:730 Bio, 760 History
[ *]ACT:29–did not like, did not send
[ *]GPA:3.7 at the time of application</p>

<p>[ *]Rank: 23/294 at time of application
[ *]Ap Courses:Junior Year 3 AP courses, AP Bio:5 , APUSH:5, AP Lang: 5
Senior Year : AP Psych, AP Chem, AP Envi Sci, AP Lit, AP Calc
[ *]Other stats:?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:decent, my best one was for Columbia
[ *]Teacher Recs Probably good. I didn’t get to read them.
[ *]Counselor Rec:She loves me I love her too. a lot.
[ *]Hooks: URM</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *]State or Country: PA
[ *]School Type: public, sends 3-5 kids to ivies per year
[ *]Gender:F
[ *]major strength/weakness:speech league- lots of competitions/ weakness- my class rank wasn’t in top 5%
[ *]why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I don’t know why. I can only thank God.
[ *]significant awards/recognitions: placed in the top ten at state speech tournament in one event, lots of local forensic awards, qualified to CFL nationals
local/ state scientific competitions, AP Scholar, National Merit commended, National Achievement Scholar
[ *]summer activities babysitting, working at a lab?</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b] I have no clue. I am stunned by it. I never, ever thought I would get to be where I am. My eyes are watching God.</p>

<p>Princeton University
Accepted to Johns Hopkins
Columbia University
UPENN!!!
Cornell
Tufts University
GWU(15k per year)
BU(half-tuition scholarship)
NYU
University of Pittsburgh on a full ride scholarship</p>

<p>Rejected
Brown</p>

<p>really stressed right now. Don’t know what to do.</p>

<p>I would suggest you go where your heart wants you tooo=)…lol no I’m just kidding. </p>

<p>Really you should just go where the money and academics are worth it. See your self after college, don’t focus too much ON the college however, this is a good list I might say congrats to you my friend.</p>

<p>ugh. I just turned Princeton. That’s never fun.</p>

<p>Why are you stressed? All of the schools you have above are excellent - you really can’t go wrong. Make a gut decision (or a financial one) and call it good.</p>

<p>But Princeton doesn’t take transfers, so you can’t go there in case your other options don’t work out. :slight_smile: I vote for the tigers.</p>

<p>Nil, I know it’s hard to turn down schools that you were strongly considering. However, as Ksarmand said, you really cannot go wrong. You will flourish wherever you go!</p>

<p>I already said no to Princeton. it sucked and I’ve been kicking myself.</p>

<p>but…</p>

<p>I would have been even more devastated to say no to Columbia.
Now, it’s basically what I do in college that matters.</p>

<p>I hope the misery goes away.</p>

<p>Nil-either school would have been fine. I think you will enjoy Columbia. My niece went to Barnard and loved the experience.</p>

<p>Hey nil, maybe we’ll c each other lol. I wouldn’t worry too much though, there are thousands of people who would have killed to be able make the choice you had to make.</p>