2017-2018 Scholarships

@kjcphmom I was asking about the Presidential Scholarship. There is nothing in the description that states the maximum number of credits per semester that it covers, and the CDS for Bama says that full time is 12 - 16 credits. It made me wonder if that’s the max they will allow under the scholarship.

My other question was because a specific dollar amount is tied to the scholarship. I’m assuming that is the price of four years of OOS tuition (only) at this time, since they allow $26,950 and tuition and fees are $27,750. If tuition goes up, the student would be gapped, right?

Yes, unless there were changes, the Presidential Scholarship covered full tuition costs for each semester for the number of credits the student takes. Like @kjcphmom, my student was also allowed to take 20+ credits for some semesters. The student will need to get prior approval from an advisor. I don’t think they will allow first semester freshman to take on that many credits, but once the student has a proven track record, it shouldn’t be hard to get approval. Of course, you should call the scholarship office to verify that this information is still correct, but again, I haven’t seen or heard of any changes to this.

Presidential scholarship covers as many credits per semester as the student takes.

<<<
had thought that the (2500/yr) ENG scholarships had been automatic for ALL ENG majors previously. Perhaps I was wrong. It hadn’t been pertinent to us since our student was a high scorer.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you’re saying. The 2500 per year has always been for ALL eng’g/CS majors with an ACT of 30+ (or SAT equivalent). The 1500 per year has always been for ACT 27-29.

Are you saying that you thought that every eng’g student, regardless of his scores, was given 2500 per year?

@NerdMom88 The presidential award increases as tuition increases.

for someone else’s comment about the extra 1/3 tuition:

The ending of the extra 1/3 tuition for UA Scholar was announced towards the end of 2015.

Wrong. As noted above, the Presidential scholarship covers tuition in full, including any tuition increases, and including all credit hours, whether it’s more than 16, more than 18, or more than 20!

Just to make things clear, In-State Alabama residents have a different scholarship chart for UA. UA Presidential Scholarship with ACT 30/3.5 GPA for in-state students (need to check various school web sites, but historically just like Auburn Univ and other in-state colleges have, USA, UAB, UAH, etc).

UAB has ‘Blazer Elite’ for ACT 30/3.5 GPA for OOS students - $15K/year.

UAH continues to offer for OOS students that have ACT 30/3.5 GPA a full tuition scholarship. If ACT 34+/with a 4.0 GPA also includes housing. I know a student taking advantage of the free housing, even though parents live 20 minutes from campus. UAH offers her the specific technical discipline she is interested in and the school is ‘big enough’ for her.

So it is helpful to check out other schools, especially if finances are tight.

UA is a different campus than UAB and UAH. For certain degrees and certain students, and certain financial situations, one school may be a better fit.

23. "If tuition goes up, the student would be gapped, right?" I believe the person who posted this statement meant that UA WOULD cover the gap (between old tuition $ and new tuition $), regarding the Presidential Scholarship. And yes, Presidential does indeed cover all tuition for 8 semesters, no matter what that tuition number is (as stated in a couple of posts above).

“Gapped” in CC parlance generally means the student is left to cover the difference, but you may be right, @amy9998.

It had been my concern that there would be a “gap” in future years between the dollar amount provided for tuition and the actual cost. I’m very happy to find out that is not the case. Thanks, everyone, for the clarification!

D2 will be applying to UA and UAH, as well as a few others. I know UAH is one of her top two choices right now, but UA is a strong contender as well, since she’s frugal by nature.