OOS Scholarships page has been updated

<p>The OOS Scholarships page on the admissions site has been updated for 2013-2014 academic year and it does not appear that anything has changed.</p>

<p>OUT-OF-STATE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013-2014</p>

<p>Please review our FAQ section for details on the scholarships listed below.</p>

<p>CAPSTONE SCHOLAR</p>

<p>An out-of-state first-time freshman student who meets the December 1st scholarship priority deadline, has a 27 ACT or 1210-1240 SAT score [critical reading and math scores only] and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Capstone Scholar and will receive $1,500 per year ($6,000 over four years).</p>

<p>COLLEGIATE SCHOLAR</p>

<p>An out-of-state first-time freshman student who meets the December 1st scholarship priority deadline, has a 28-29 ACT or 1250-1320 SAT score [critical reading and math scores only] and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Collegiate Scholar and will receive $3,500 per year ($14,000 over four years).</p>

<p>UA SCHOLAR</p>

<p>An out-of-state first time freshman student who meets the December 1st scholarship priority deadline, has a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT score [critical reading and math scores only] and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a UA Scholar and will receive 2/3 tuition for four years.</p>

<p>PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLAR</p>

<p>An out-of-state first-time freshman student who meets the December 1st scholarship priority deadline, has a 32-36 ACT or 1400-1600 SAT score [critical reading and math scores only] and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of out-of-state tuition for four years.</p>

<p>Great news! Our family is doing the Happy Dance in Georgia!</p>

<p>This is good news.</p>

<p>I’m doing back flips as my son’s number one choice as of now is UA and he qualifies for the presidential scholarship. Crossing my fingers he doesn’t change his mind between now and next march!!!</p>

<p>NJPeeps-Good luck to your son! What part of NJ are you from?</p>

<p>I have to admit I prayed before opening this thread, afraid something had changed as it did for the NMF scholarship! THANK GOD it remains the same! DD is still trying to decide where to go, but I’m betting it will be Alabama! Thanks for posting!</p>

<p>This falls in line with what we were told during our visit Tuesday, definitely nice to see it in writing! D’s application is complete time to just sit in wait, from what we were told it will be Mid to late August before applications are processed.</p>

<p>Only one more year to wait for me…DD is a rising junior! Hoping for Presidential!</p>

<p>I am not sure that we will see a change in the Presidential Scholarship in terms of money (in the near future) however, I would not be surprised if there is a change in the scores. I would definitely suggest that students prep for the ACT/SAT tests and try to achieve higher scores than what the minimum scores currently are. Each year, there are more OOS students attending UA with high stats, so that change would not surprise me.</p>

<p>^^ Speaking of students with high stats, are any of the numbers out for the class starting Fall 2012? I’m guessing the enrollment numbers are up just based on what appears to be a shortage of freshman housing.</p>

<p>Does anyone think that the stats required for entrance to the Honors College itself might be under review?</p>

<p>^^ I hope not. I like the “selective but not exclusive” mindset of the Honors College.</p>

<p>As for the HC entrance…with the new Pres, who knows. Former Pres Witt was adamant to keep the current req’ts. Keep in mind that raising the req’ts would eliminate a number of URMs, and a southern school particularly needs to be very careful about doing anything that would cause that.</p>

<p>I am hopeful that the new president will keep to the current ideals of growing the university and its infrastructure while being mindful that UA is a state university which needs to serve Alabama’s students. I have heard Dr. Witt speak to these student’s needs during recruitment events and I would imagine that the new president would be mindful of students in a state that he grew up in.</p>

<p>Then the “Honors” Dorm shortage issue will continue…</p>

<p>Do many of the URM-specific scholarships cover housing, particularly Honors housing?</p>

<p>Is there any data on percentages of “self-pay” Honors students who choose Honors Dorms?</p>

<p>And Tommy’s Q was something like “what percent of Honors Dorm dwellers stay past freshman year?”</p>

<p>Would be interesting to know…regardless, I trust the university had a good handle on these sorts of data points when they made this year’s adjustments in scholarships, etc. After all, their task is to pursue the interests of the school to the best of their abilities, and, after chating with our Rep, I am sure they have. They have had phenominal success thus far. We will be happy to jump on the Crimson bandwagon! Roll Tide.</p>

<p>If there are fewer Honors College students because the numbers to qualify for honors are raised, then there will be more non-Honors College students. Since they want ALL freshmen to live on campus, they’ll just shift rooms from Honors to non-Honors, the same as they’ve shifted rooms from non-Honors to Honors in the past. </p>

<p>I would rather see the academic needs of more students met through the Honors College than have honors housing guaranteed for 4 years. I am hopeful that my D will be able to stay in honors housing for as long as she wants to, but the good news is that there are a lot of great off-campus options in Tuscaloosa, so if there isn’t sufficient Honors housing for upperclassmen after D’s freshman year, she is going to be fine.</p>

<p>How difficult is it for a 17 or 18 year old to secure off-campus housing?</p>

<p>Do the parents just sign the lease?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t think that a 17 or 18 year old could sign a lease since the age of majority in AL is 19 and the lease contract wouldn’t be enforceable against a minor. But the parent could, and a lot of complexes are going to require a parent guarantee anyway since most students don’t have income adequate to pay the rent.</p>

<p>I agree w Mom about keeping standards for HC the same, but I do hope they continue to raise the standards for admission to the university. I think w practice the vast majority of lower stats kids could score at least 22 or 23 on the ACT. I don’t want campus to be too crowded .</p>