2021-2022 USC Transfer

Oh god so no decision on 21st basically means rejection thats scary af. (Ty for the info tho!!)

Btw any other info you have on SCA transfer stuff would be appreciated because so far Iā€™ve found so few of us :sob::sob:

Yea technically itā€™s just speculation so Iā€™m gonna try not to freak out if I donā€™t get any updates around the 21st, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll start getting anxious when that week comes around lol. And as far as other information, tbh itā€™s a struggle to find any other info online, especially for transfers.
Iā€™ve just been going through previous year forums and reading what they were saying during April and May. I did get an interview with an admissions counselor a few weeks ago, but that doesnā€™t help your chances of getting in

I did too and the guy told me otherwise!! They are all saying different things :sob:

Oh really? He said getting the interview does make a difference? Because the admissions person I had the interview with repeated multiple times that it means nothingā€¦ itā€™s like all the information is so unreliable. Idk what to believe

Do you guys think certain majors would impact your decision? I chose to major at Keck as an undergraduate and Iā€™m kind of worried because only 1% of transfers make up that population. Not sure if itā€™s just really competitive or has a low amount of undergraduate applicants. Iā€™m a TTP student too.

He told me that not all applicants get interviews and they try to interview all the applicants they accept (but ofc not all interviewed got in)z. I think he was not an admission guy though, but a professor in the department I applied to. He also knew about the other faculty I talked about in the same department.

(This is for SCA specifically though, it might even differ in between programs too)

Wait how do you learn what percentage transfer students make?

The transfer student portfolio is a great resource for this: https://admission.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/Transfer-profile.pdf

2 Likes

If you search up ā€œusc transfer student profile 2020-2021ā€ then itā€™ll show up as the first result. Sorry but I canā€™t include links in my reply.

1 Like

Btw to answer your question, I think Keck prolly has a lot fewer applicants. The transfer student profile does not include admit numbers by major/school I believe; it just shows the distribution of students who apply to various schools.

I am a Viterbi applicant, and the transfer student profile indicates 10% of Viterbi applicants make up USCā€™ total applicant pool. However, a Viterbi counselor told me roughly 250 admits get in out of ~1,250 applicants, yielding a rough 20% admit rate for Viterbi.

Also, because you are admitted by school and not by major, I think major is less important than the schoolā€™s admission rate. Iā€™d recommend talking to a Keck counselor to find Keckā€™s admission rate.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks for the information.

Np!

Youā€™re a life saver. I feel better about my chances now. Thanks :sob:.

1 Like

Np fam! Wish you the best of luck!

1 Like

Anybody know how heavily legacy is weighted in an application? Iā€™m a freshman transfer thatā€™s pretty nervous for these results. Thanks in advance

hey man you wouldnt by chance know transfer admit rate for Dornsife would ya

1 Like

According to last yearā€™s transfer results it said that 34% of the transfer admitted population were legacy so Iā€™d say pretty substantially. But of course they consider other factors highlighted in your application.

Sadly I donā€™t know the Dornslife admit rate. Since Viterbi is regarded as one of the more competitive schools, Iā€™d assume Dornslife is near 21% or maybe even higher. But Iā€™d recommend contacting a Dornslife counselor to confirm this speculation.

Here is a useful resource for Dornslife applicants: Contact > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

1 Like

hey thanks so much