2021 UC Admit Rates based on Capped Weighted UC GPA

3 UC campuses are well under the 18% OOS and International enrollment caps:
UC Merced enrolled 99.3% of CA residents
UC Riverside enrolled 94.6% of CA residents
UC Santa Cruz enrolled 91.8% of CA residents

Again, OOS/International acceptance rates may be higher than in-state CA acceptance rates but enrolled rates are very low for the majority of the campuses. Even UCLA had 14.6% of OOS enrolled for 2021 and UCB had 13.5% OOS enrolled.

2 Likes

Here is the UCB info: 73.2% are CA residents.

2 Likes

Some of the UC’s such as UCB/UCLA and UCSD were capped higher than 18%. The goal is to slowly reduce to 18% over the next few years.

They’re are plenty of fully qualified, highly diverse CA HS students that are able to fill every UC slot, so why have 20% or 15% or 10% go to OOS/international students? After all CA gets little to no return on an international student returning home to their home country after graduation (you can’t make the same argument for OOS as they can stay in CA). It’s all in the finances.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, high stats students, for the most part, don’t care to apply at UCR or Merced. My daughter’s rational for this in 2017 was she didn’t care to apply because she wouldn’t go there. She’d rather go to Cal Poly, SDSU or out of state than Riverside or Merced.

2 Likes

I am posting the data for informational purposes. It is up to each individual student to decide where they want to apply, just showing that these campuses accept a large majority of in-state students.

3 Likes

That’s why a lot of CA kids end up at UO/UW/CU/UA/UU. Most feel its better option if they can afford it.

1 Like

This is true and the reason we need viable oos options. My D17 would have been happy to go out of state if it was her best option. S15 did go out of state, unhappy with the commuter feel of the CSUs he was accepted to. My S23 wants badly to stay in state.

1 Like

We are from CA but husband is in the military. Not our choice to not live in state but my D22 has to apply as OOS. To deny her the ability to apply at all or even get a slot is just not fair. No State completely bans OOS but most make it very difficult to get accepted.

Wow- I am surprised you have to apply as OOS. I would think there is a better option for our military kids! Where can you apply in state?

1 Like

Posting UC admission rates for 2021 for informational purposes:

Campus Overall California OOS International
Berkeley 14.5% 16.8% 14.1% 8.0%
Davis 49.0% 39.0% 80.8% 67.6%
Irvine 29.0% 20.1% 74.0% 37.8%
Los Angeles 10.8% 10.1% 13.9% 9.1%
Merced 95.6% 99.7% 71.8% 59.2%
Riverside 66.0% 64.0% 85.7% 74.0%
San Diego 34.3% 28.5% 59.3% 30.9%
Santa Barbara 29.2% 28.0% 36.3% 27.4%
Santa Cruz 58.9% 54.5% 82.2% 70.2%
4 Likes

You’ll notice the OOS rates of admittance are roughly equal to or greater than acceptance rates for in state, sometimes much greater. Just a money thing.

1 Like

But they get a lot less applicants from OOS and international, so in absolute terms the bias is heavily weighted to CA residents. And yes it is a money thing, but one can make a case that non-CA and international students add to campus diversity and multitude of perspectives.

1 Like

Agreed, but the reality is that at campuses like UCD, UCSD, etc., your chances of getting in are higher as an OOS/intl applicant than as an in-state student. As someone else suggested, if it’s just a money thing, lots of in-state students would be willing to pay OOS tuition.

4 Likes

well we are at in DC area right now and living in VA so we get in state consideration for my D22 here but she is not interested in a single VA school. Luckily we are not in the District- what do those poor kids do for in state schools? CA is her top choice- and she did not apply to UCB or UCLA. I also feel for the kids who live in states that have notoriously bad in state options.

2 Likes

Those admission rates alone do not say that – the context about the strength of applicant pools matters. It is entirely possible that the out-of-state applicant pools for many campuses are stronger than the in-state applicant pools.

4 Likes

You’re right. That was too big a leap of logic on my part.

I think it’s pretty widely assumed that out of state applicants can get it with lower stats. USD with a 39% acceptance rate for in state and over 80% out of state is shocking. We have plenty of diversity right here in California. We don’t need to import diversity.

9 Likes

Are you referring to UC Davis? There is a big difference between admitted and enrolled. Over the past 10+ years, UC Davis has enrolled the most California resident undergrads of all UC campuses.

2 Likes

They accepted 31k in state applicants, but that’s out of 70k or so that applied. Their yield is lower than some of the other UCs, I get that.

1 Like