2021 UC Admit Rates based on Capped Weighted UC GPA

click on Academic Indicators tab for GPA data.

Here is a handy chart for the Fully weighted GPA information:
UCB admit by GPA but does not include 2022 data.

GPA L&S CoE CoC CNR CED
3.800-4.000 6.3% 2.7% 4.5% 11.5% 8.7%
4.001-4.199 10.6% 3.9% 8.2% 23.7% 14.7%
4.200-4.399 21.8% 8.8% 17.5% 38.9% 29.1%
4.400-4.599 34.8% 16.4% 33.3% 53.0% 39.5%
4.600-4.799 40.9% 21.4% 39.6% 52.4% 49.4%
4.800-5.000 41.5% 20.7% 36.2% 46.1% 43.0%
2 Likes

Are these the fully weighted 3-year trailing GPA ranges for the combined classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021? I donā€™t think this data yet includes the class of 2022 data.

The reason I ask is because on the UCB Office of Planning & Analysis website, the 3-year acceptance rate for L&S for applicants in the 4.200-4.399 tier shows as 18.5% (i.e., 8088 admits / 43,784 applicants), whereas this chart above shows it as 21.8%. Iā€™m guessing the difference is that Berkeley has updated the 3-year GPA range cohort to include 2020 / 2021 / 2022.

I did not compile the data for the chart. I believe @ ucbalumnus posted the information. You are correct that the 2022 information is not included. When I have time, I will update the chart with the new 2022 data.

Makes total sense. Thanks as always for all that you do on this and other UC threads!

3 Likes

U.C.L.A. (in honor of the NY Times way of presenting the University and my trying to escape the auto-linking) does in more a general sense show the admit/enroll rates for its five schools and one College, which is Letters & Science; hereā€™s a link ā€“ you have to scroll down to the bottom of page. But with respect to gpa, its Alpert School of Music, Nursing, Arts & Architecture, and Theater, Film & TV wouldnā€™t be as grade dependent but more supplemental-app/portfolio- and/or audition-based. Only L&S & Engineering would be completely grade dependent, with unweighted, UC, and fully weighted being about equally considered. And itā€™s a mistake, not committed by you @SilverDragon, to believe that there arenā€™t other means to determine success in something as science/math based as engineering, and those who want to major in sciences in L&S. I would guess that the vast majority of E majors who are admitted have 800s on their SATII Math, and just about all come in with college credits for the first and/or second calc class at U.C.L.A., Math 31A & B as well as for physics, etc.

The only UCs that seemingly purport to show their gpas in the correct form requested in common data sets would be U.C.L.A. and U.C.B., by their both presenting unweighted gpa ā€“ which would be soph & jr years, a-g courses, and eliding plusses and minuses. (Effectively itā€™d be UCgpa w/o the 1-8 added weights.) Hereā€™s links to both universitesā€™ CDSs: UCLAā€™s, 2022-23 CDS ā€“ see C11 & C12 Data, and UCBā€™s; its latest is 2021-22.

All the other UCs present some sort of UC-capped gpa if they present anything at all. So I would suppose that since there arenā€™t very many colleges that present any gpa data in their CDSs, most of the UCs leave the gpa information blank also.

Apologies, @gumbymom, didnā€™t mean to reply to you specifically.

One of the things that affects the UCgpa stats of students from specific high schools per the Source School Data, would be the UCs admitting athletes, in particular, e.g., for UCLA or UCSB, from Californiaā€™s beach schools. So if many high schools have a 4.3+ average in feeding UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCSB, athletes could bring the average down closer to or even below a 4.0 ucgpa.

Additionally, as you stated, @ucbalumnus, I saw two instances in the Source School data which had > 4.40 ucgpa for students who enrolled at UCLA: American High School in Fremont, with a 4.42 average, and American High School in Fremont, with a 4.43 average.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the UCB admit rate by college and rolling 3 year average of weighted, uncapped GPA band updated for 2022 (@gumbymom and @ucbalumnus shouldnā€™t have to do all the work ;-).

GPA L&S CoE CoC CNR CED
3.800-4.000 5.5% 2.2% 4.1% 10.3% 7.0%
4.001-4.199 8.9% 3.7% 7.1% 19.9% 11.2%
4.200-4.399 18.5% 8.1% 15.8% 33.5% 23.7%
4.400-4.599 28.6% 14.1% 28.7% 46.8% 30.6%
4.600-4.799 33.3% 18.9% 37.2% 46.1% 36.5%
4.800-5.000 32.5% 18.7% 34.4% 42.6% 41.0%

Data retrieved from here on 2/15/2023 by selecting Academic Indicators and then filtering by each college separately.

6 Likes

Thank you for updating the chart. With the new 2022 data, there was a decrease admit rate across the board from the previous 3 years data unfortunatelyā€¦

2 Likes

I agree with most of that, but doubt the majority have 800 on SAT math section in no-test admissions era. Doubt they did even when they were considering tests, but now I think that is highly unlikely. 100% agree on the AP Physics C and CalcBC (with many having beyond that) thoughā€¦ course rigor is a stated criterion for UC admissions and I expect most schools consider that in the context of school/major. @Gumbymom, IIRC, there was one school (UCSB?) that considered both course rigor and STEM course rigor in engineering? Canā€™t recall where I saw that, but think you may have posted that.

2 Likes

It was UCSB under the comprehensive review criteria for the College of Engineering.

College of Engineering: Students are selected by major for all engineering and computer science majors. Only applicants with a solid background in advanced high school mathematics will be considered for admission to engineering. This includes high grades in all math courses through grade 11 and enrollment in pre-calculus or higher in grade 12.

I am sure that all the UC campuses have similar criteria depending upon majors/colleges. I have also seen similar criteria for a number of Cal states that consider Math/Science courses/GPA in their Freshman selection. Ie. San Diego State, Cal Poly SLO and Pomona are some examples.

1 Like

I meant the SATII Math ā€“ individual subject test for the subject, which is pretty easy or easier; a lot of students score 800 on that test, and Iā€™m not sure if you were referencing the SAT I with verbal and math. And most engineering students would score well into the 700s to 800 on the SAT 1 math part, and Iā€™m sure they take the SAT and/or ACT because they are most likely applying outside of UC also. A couple years ago, Caltech went I believe, test-blind for one year during 2019 or 2020 because of the virus and students not being able to take the test; Iā€™m guessing that theyā€™re test-optional at present. If they didnā€™t have any problems finding top-tier science students, I donā€™t think UCLA or the rest of the UCs would either.

The tests have not been called SAT I and SAT II for as long as many current high school seniors have been alive. The SAT II tests were renamed SAT subject tests, and discontinued a few years ago.

Caltech is still SAT/ACT blind (not optional), probably because they look for other indicators of sufficient academic strength to handle their general education requirements (SAT/ACT ceiling is too low to be relevant).

If I may question the numbers in your very nice statistical matrix, I believe that fully weighted gpa is a product/function of the high schoolsā€™ reporting, so itā€™s going to be wildly divergent ā€“ and this is why the UCs have their own adjustment to gpa presentation. Both uwgpa and UCgpa have restrictions: counting only soph. & jr. years grades, eliding plusses and minuses, and restricting things to a-g courses which are actually pretty broad. I donā€™t see how any UC would recompute fully weighted gpa, or have the students do it, because it would be too much work with lots of adjustments. UC gpa and uwgpa for UC purposes are pretty easy calculations.

I stated II behind SAT test to distinguish it from the SAT verbal/math. I understand that it is a SAT math subject test and stated it as such, and I realize they had two of them. But I wasnā€™t sure if they would bring it back eventually. Iā€™m thinking they should in a post-COVID world.

The proper names were ā€œmath level 1ā€ and ā€œmath level 2ā€ for those SAT subject tests.

It is UC fully weighted GPAā€¦ only A-G approved courses and only UC-approved honors courses get an extra pt. Also, different computation for in-state vs OOS. Here is the UC page to see which courses at a given CA HS are A-G and which among them receive the extra grade point in the computation: University of California A-G Course List. The capped weighted GPA, IIRC, is intended to level the playing field a bit between schools with lots of AP courses and those with few (as is ELC designation).

College Board has pretty much stated that subject tests are not coming back, I believe.

You are undoubtedly up on courses that apply to UC and how to apply grade points to them. If you donā€™t {mind} me asking a question:

For students who are dual-enrolled at their local community college, which could be because their high schools are lacking in upper-level courses, do these courses, many of which would be college level attach to their grades in high school and therefore figure into their UCgpa or are they reported separately? The danger could be that their being college-level could sink their gpas.

There was a student who dual-enrolled at her cc and was admitted to UCLA because her town had only hundreds of persons. Her high school lacked the courses, and her community college looked very bare; Iā€™m not sure what town she was from. But she entered the university with lots of college credits.

Let me edit add that the OOS students who attend college at UC are top-tier and though they canā€™t attach the extra grade point to their honors courses, they seem to do very well with APs, and the two courses per semester arenā€™t an impediment to their lofty gpas, both UC and fully weighted.

Caltech is still SAT/ACT blind (not optional), probably because they look for other indicators of sufficient academic strength to handle their general education requirements (SAT/ACT ceiling is too low to be relevant).

Undoubtedlyā€¦ Caltech is a very special school and takes a very different individual.

1 Like