39 IB Points (Total) = Instant Rejection?

<p>I didn’t say predicted scores don’t matter, but they’re not weighed to the same caliber as, say, AP scores since they’re only predicted and have been an inaccurate form of assessing how well students do on IB exams in the past for many universities. Also, universities don’t always know your predicted scores because colleges don’t ask for them and there is no real, designated section for IB scores. They’re often, but not always, put on the transcript or supplied by one’s counselor. Anyways, I’d say a 37-38/45 is probably the lowest you’d want for your predicted scores in order to remain competitive. </p>

<p>Is this a joke? Of course - thats a great predicted.</p>

<p>I’m starting college this fall and I just got my IB scores three days ago, so my IB scores had nothing to do with college anything. Colleges did see that I was taking the diploma program and which classes that I’m taking from my transcript, but our school didn’t make a big deal out of predicted grades.</p>

<p>I know it’s not an Ivy League, but I got into Rice University and I ended up getting 32 points on my diploma, if that makes anyone feel any better. Your standardized test scores, high school grades, rigor of curriculum, extra curricular activities, community service, and personal development matter more than my actual IB scores ever did.</p>

<p>I felt pretty good about my 32 too until I read this. Thanks College Confidential.</p>

<p>Again, it’s important to distinguish between students taking the IB program in US schools (where predicted and final IB scores will hardly ever matter), and students taking the IB program in other countries, where the predicted IB score may be the only grades provided to colleges.</p>

<p>Technically, the schools need to provide their grades across the 4 years in addition to predicted scores but the predicted scores do matter in the context of their school. If that is the highest predicted score for the entire school, then the context says the applicant is their valedictorian equivalent. This can be true of the applicant whether the score is 25 or 45. It just means the school has no clue how to prepare them in the case of the highest score being 25.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure my kids’ high school did not provide any predicted IB scores to US colleges.</p>

<p>Mine didn’t either. US schools won’t care since they all have real transcripts for 4 years. </p>

<p>International schools are figuring out what to do for each country’s colleges and have a hard time with the different processes. People in Asia are as interested in applying to Oxbridge as well as HYPS and their schools don’t always have a clue what to send to each of them unless they have been doing it for a decade or longer and have a track record of getting their students admitted in all the different countries. </p>

<p>When someone applies to Oxbridge, they are told that the school transcripts are totally irrelevant, they will provide conditional admissions based on IB or whatever their national equivalent exam is and the admission is not valid if the condition is not met. I believe Oxford requires one to get 40 on IB with some required 6s and 7s based on the specified major on their application. </p>

<p>US schools on the other hand say they pick students based on individual context which means no one should have a cut off score that is being discussed here. So a kid can get 24 in their podunk high school but might be the best student they have with a 2300 SAT but the school has no clue how to prepare their kids for the IB subjects and ensure they are successful in getting high scores. Most of the time, the same schools are also preparing their students for the country’s state or national graduating exam and have just added on IB to attract students aiming for international admissions. </p>

<p>I am not certain that the top schools in US give a whit about an international student’s predicted IB scores as much as they do about how well the student is doing in their school compared to others and the perceptions of his/her recommenders. </p>

Sorry to revive an old post but I was curios - I am an IB international student who got into one of the ivies…however, after getting my results a couple of days ago my found out that i got 33/45 compared to my predicted of 40/45… should i be worried?

Colleges keep tract on the accuracy of the predicted IB score on individual schools. Of course, they look at the predicted score. However if your school have a record of over prediction, the college will take note on this. One international school was blacklisted by Yale because an accepted student was predicted 45 and his real score was 35. Most Colleges consider +/- 2 marks out of 45 as accurate.

Thanks for the info :)… So do you think it is likely that that dreadful letter might come in anytime or should I just try to enjoy the rest of my summer?

How is the college going to learn what your final IB scores were? Were you asked to report them?

I am an international student and so IB grades are my only grades…and so i had to send them as evidence of completing high school

It is unlikely College will rescind your admission if you are qualified to get the IB Diploma. However, the students in your school will be affected in the future due to the inaccurate prediction.