a few questions about wisconsin madison

<p>HI! I am freshman of wisconsin. I got serveral questions about accomodation and study in wisconsin. First, I have reserved single room in regent101 now, for fear that i will not get out of waiting list and end up no room to live!But a alumni of wisconsin madison told me that freshman will all eventurally get their room and they must live in school-owned dorm. What makes me feel unsettled is that the rules are madatory and i can not live in private room any more. I just want to know is that ture?
Second, wisconsin has very competitive academic atmosphere. is it possible for me to graduate in 3years if i really study hard. The alumni told me that most students in wisconsin madison can graduate in 4 and half years. As for international students like me, we need 5 years to satisfy all requirement of graduation because we need more time than our American counterpart do to adapt to new life in University both academically, culturally and socailly. What i want to know is that if i really studied very hard and are well prepareed for my study, would i graduate in 3 years.
Third, many students on ************** complained about course selection on wisconsin. some of them failed to select the course they want to take simply because there is too many students in wisconisn. Their failure to select course really pose a obstacle to their graduation plan. Having known about this problem in wisconsin, I really start worrying about my prosepcts in this school. Has university taken any measure to add more course to better meet needs of students? Thankyou very much!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>If somebody told you that freshmen have to live in a school-owned dorm, they are mistaken. Lots of freshmen live in private dorms like Lucky 101.</p>

<p>Freshmen and sophomores sometimes have trouble getting the courses they want, but once you have senior status (which can happen as early as sophomore year if you come in with a lot of AP credit and take heavy course loads) you should have no trouble getting the courses you need to graduate.</p>

<p>Graduating in three years is theoretically possible, but not a good idea. You would have to dedicate yourself to a major right away and would have little chance to explore various options. The heavy course loads you would need would limit your ability to take advantage of the wonderful extracurricular activities s that are available.</p>

<p>Absolutely no need to live in the UW Res Halls- off campus housing is fine in Madison for new students. It may be recommended for a foreign student to live in Res Halls, but this is NOT obligatory. If you have a signed contract- public or private dorm- you are obligated to it. “Reserved”- if you signed a contract you made a promise to pay them according to the terms of your contract. If you are on a waiting list for Res Halls- does this mean you have also signed their contract? Better be sure to check the details, see if you signed two, one or no contracts. If you made the mistake of signing two contracts contact the places and work on getting out of one of them.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about when you will graduate at this point. Plan a workable number of credits for first semester with your advisor when you arrive on campus (figure out which courses you want ahead of time- spend some time this summer trying out various schedules to get familiar with how things are done, but don’t worry too much- that’s why you set this up wwith an advisor). You and your advisor can figure out which courses and how many based on your background and proposed major. You will base second semester on how first semester is going. Once you are doing your second semester you will have a much better idea of how many courses and when you will be able to fit them into your schedule. Then, one year from now, is the time to think about how long you will probably need to complete a major.</p>

<p>Do not plan on graduating in less than 4 years. Plan on enjoying the undergraduate college experience for the full 4 years. Especially being new to the US it is important that you allow time for more than just classes. There is a wealth of learning outside of the classroom. You want to take full advantage of your time at UW, and in this country. It is not a matter of how hard you study, but how rich you want your experience to be. This means taking some elective courses for the pure pleasure of learning something not needed for your major or taking more courses related to your major, not just getting by with minimal requirements. It means taking time to participate in other activities. It could be joining a club or some activities or watching/participating in sports, music and other events.</p>

<p>You chose an American university for the whole experience. They have worked on adding more sections of popular freshmen courses to help with the availability at UW.</p>

<p>Thank you for your advice!! You all mention that I should make full use of time in wisconsin to explore various interests instead of throwing myself into study solely. Indeed, university is a place where we not only go deep into our study but also expose to different ideas, activities and people.I will live my life in madison to the fullest!! Thankyou</p>

<p>The whole reason to leave home for your education- the academics could be learned there, but none of the cultural immersion.</p>