UW Madison Life

<p>Hi guys</p>

<p>I'm going to University of Wisconsin Madison this year and I was wondering what life is like for freshmen. Is it going to be any different there coz I'm Indian? Which residence halls would you guys recommend? I'm leaning towards ones in Lakeshore but any info would be really appreciated! </p>

<p>I'm SO nervous!</p>

<p>I would recommend you use the search capability on the Madison thread on CC. You can read several years worth of recent posts on your questions. My overall comments: most Freshman find the courses tougher than they expected. Dorms are places to sleep…don’t obsess. Odds are you won’t get the one you want anyway. You rankyour top 14 for a reason. If you rank Lakeshore dorms in your top 5, you’re likely to get Lakeshore. As previously posted hundreds of times, Lakeshore is a little quieter, a little farther from “the action”. SE dorms edge more to the party scene, are closer to town (generally), and closer to athletic events.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman at UW this year. He lives in Bradley in the Lakeshore region. He has enjoyed his time there. Likes being near the lake, has liked the dorm and has made lots of friends. He does say it is far from everything so that is the big negative. But he would not have wanted to live in Sellery or Witte either. Do not worry so much! It is college and you will be like every other freshmen, meeting lots of people and making lots of good friends. There is so much going on at UW you are bound to find something you are interested in. I do not know anything about the international community there but I am sure there are a lot of international students as well as various clubs, organizations you could participate in.</p>

<p>Indian- meaning Asian Indian I presume but could be from here. Don’t worry. Plenty of varied food options for many diets in Res Halls. Meal plan is entirely a la carte, meaning you only pay for what you choose. Also some excellent Indian restaurants near campus and west side (H from India, son went to UW). If foreign, likewise don’t worry. Microwave oven and refrigerator in room- can make trips to an Indian grocery store for home favorites. You will be accepted and get to share your culture, plus learn others’ home cultures.</p>

<p>Just a little input re. dorms: my now sophomore son lived in Ogg Hall as a freshman. His random roommate assignment worked out really well. He chose Ogg because it is quite new, the rooms are a few square feet bigger than the other dorms, and it is close to everything - across the street from Witte and Sellery but less of a party reputation. When we visited it always seemed like there were plenty of organized activities to keep residents busy - movie nights, ski trips, that kind of thing.</p>

<p>How do you feel about the WI winters? I know you young ones don’t mind it so much but you need to be sure it is not an issue for you to be in Lakeshore and dealing with the longer distance in winter.</p>

<p>It is normal of course to be nervous but I am sure you will love it when you get there! Good luck!</p>

<p>Lakeshore is wonderful- don’t worry about distances. Distances between classes can be more of an issue, those don’t depend on where you live. Lakeshore living can be more fun than a highrise in winter- convenient hill to tray/slide down. Picnic Point. The lake…</p>

<p>Dorm preference is all a personal preference. Rank the dorm features according to your preferences and see which area has the most high ranking items- for some it is Lakeshore, for others it is Southeast. No matter which setting appeals to you more you will find like minded students who also chose that area. You can also eat anywhere and have friends anywhere. Walking to State St is no big deal from Lakeshore. Consider where you want to decompress evenings and weekends. If you are from a big city you may find comfort in a city setting, or you may want to try something different. </p>

<p>Something I realized after my time at UW was that my perspective of the school and campus was influenced by my major (courses taken) and places I lived. Every student has a unique experience. Some will get to know certain buildings/areas of campus very well and never step foot in other places. My Southeast dorm area friends and my Lakeshore living meant we all learned about a part of campus we otherwise would not have known- none of us would choose to move to be in the same area.</p>

<p>You are a many faceted person. Think of Venn diagram circles and many different overlapping circles of influence and experiences, or go 3D for even more complexities. No matter where you live you will have many good experiences.</p>