A-G Requirements

What if someone doesn’t take A-G requirements in high school? If they go to community college would they have to take those classes there? For example, if someone only takes Earth Science, Biology and not another lab science would they need to take the lab science in cc?

A-G courses are requirements for HS students to apply to the UC’s and CSU’s. You do not need to take A-G courses unless you want to apply as a Freshman applicant to these schools however, if you are a California HS student, most likely your HS graduation requirements will meet most of the A-G UC/CSU requirements.

The minimum UC/CSU A-G courses are as follows: The 15 courses are:
a. History-2 years
b. English-4 years
c. Mathematics-3 years
d. Laboratory science-2 years
e. Language other than English
or equivalent to the 2nd level of high school instruction-2 years
f. Visual and performing arts-1 year
g. College-preparatory elective
(chosen from the subjects listed above or another course approved by the university)-1 year

Which HS do you attend? If you go to a CC, then you would take the General Education and major requirements needed to transfer to a specific University. The reason for the a-g course requirements is that it gives HS students a well-rounded education and exposure to many different subjects.

Comparison of the UC vs CSU A-G courses: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/csu-uc-a-g-comparison-matrix.pdf

Hi, you see I attend online school and I basically have all my A-G requirements except 2 years of lab science. I only have Earth Science and Biology. Which doesn’t meet the requirements, I wanted to fo the community college route anyway so it doesn’t bother me. I just didn’t really understand what it meant not to be on A-G.

Earth Science may be an approved A-G course. Check the UCOP articulation website for your HS courses: https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist

From the UC Website:
D) Laboratory science

UC-approved high school courses
Two years of college-preparatory laboratory science, including or integrating topics that provide fundamental knowledge in two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, or physics. One year of approved interdisciplinary or earth and space sciences coursework can meet one year of the requirement. Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Science courses can be used in area D as an additional laboratory science (i.e., third year and beyond).

SAT Subject Examination
Each test clears one year:

Biology: Score of 540
Chemistry: Score of 530
Physics: Score of 530
AP or IB Examination

Score of 3, 4 or 5 on any two AP Exams in Biology, Chemistry, Physics (B, C, 1 or 2) and Environmental Science; score of 5, 6 or 7 on any two IB HL exams in Biology, Chemistry or Physics

College courses

For each year of the requirement, a grade of C or better in a transferable course of at least 3 semester (4 quarter) units in a natural (physical or biological) science with at least 30 hours of laboratory (not “demonstration”)

As an FYI, pretty much anyone want to go to a university who gets tripped up by the a-g requirements usually would get tripped up by f) or sometimes e). Rarely is it anything else.