A little worried

<p>Would sending my transcript and recommendations very close to the February 1st deadline give me a disadvantage if I'm postponed? (since I don't have as much time to do all the things I'm suppossed to do after being postponed) </p>

<p>Would their decision be made a little bit quicker because most decisions have been made already?</p>

<p>one more thing I want to know.......</p>

<p>How badly would not having a recommendation hurt my chances? I heard it was optional.</p>

<p>If you hadn't submitted your app by now your chances of getting housing are slim to none. All applications have equal weight and you would definitely be at a disadvantage without a rec.</p>

<p>Thanks, but you answered the wrong question. I'm asking about the impact of the lateness in sending everything on my admission chances.</p>

<p>I'm not sure I understand your first question. What Feb. 1st deadline are you referring to?</p>

<p>As for the second question, in my mind, optional means "should," where admissions are concerned. Going the extra mile shows that you are serious about wanting to go to this school.</p>

<p>February 1st is the deadline for applying.</p>

<p>Yes, I would think that you would be at a disadvantage. It's best to get everything in as soon as possible, not just for admissions, but as vvvsaaaapppp said, housing choices will be limited after Feb. 1 as well. The sooner you get everything in, the sooner you will be notified, and the sooner you can move on from there (whether you are accepted, denied, or postponed).</p>

<p>You have also forgotten about the fact that they give precedence in admissions to Packers fans over Bears fans because they understand that Packer fans are more intelligent.</p>

<p>UW is liberal, they allow Bears fans and Vikings fans (but you could have a Green Bay roommate!). </p>

<p>Regarding deadlines- the last date to apply to UW Madison is Feb 1 (have all materials in). </p>

<p>Res Halls sends each accepted applicant a housing contract with a deadline, (maybe 2 weeks?) to sign if you want to live in the public dorms. The dorm assignment will be done in late May or early June without regard to application dates. This means that the mid Feb applicant will have just as much as a chance at their top dorm choice as the mid Sept applicant (unlike U of Minn). In the spring you will get a chance to review and change your dorm preference rankings. The only catch is that you have to decide shortly after your acceptance if you want to live in Res Halls if you attend UW. May 1 is the deadline for informing UW and Res Halls (separately) in writing if you are not attending and want your deposits back.</p>

<p>Again, the housing choice computerized matching "lottery" is not dependent on dates of application, or state of residence, once you have been assured of a place in the dorms. </p>

<p>From my perusal of their website last summer it was evident that some students (as even back in my day eons ago) were given temporary housing assignments until people cancelled/dropped out. There was also a message for students who may have been on some kind of waiting list hoping for a contract that they would not be able to get in the dorms and therefore would need to make other housing arangements. Res Halls has been dealing with predicting the numbers of students who will not actually attend/finish the year forever, I imagine they have gotten quite good at it. Fortunately they will not double/triple up students just to squeeze them all in for the year (those in temporary housing -eg dens, the Ag school short course dorms- actually get a room rate discount for the time they have to put up with it). Sounds well managed to me. Of course, those unable to get in, or unlucky to get their choice in the lottery, may disagree. Considering the size of the place, the large numbers of students, it all works remarkably well.</p>

<p>Remember to check the official UW information - we try to be accurate here, but can make mistakes/ be misinformed.</p>

<p><<<<how badly="" would="" not="" having="" a="" recommendation="" hurt="" my="" chances?="" i="" heard="" it="" was="" optional="">>></how></p>

<p>I remember calling the admissions office and they said that they have thoughsands of applications piling up so they disregard the recs.</p>

<p>thanks to everyone who posted, anyone else know other information?</p>

<p>When it comes down to deciding between two very equal applicants the recommendations will be helpful in differentiating them. Those at the top and bottom will be easy decisions based on required information. Whether or not you choose to send in optional materials depends on how sure you feel about being accepted with what you are required to send.</p>

<p>i dont understand...
so if the deadline is feb 1,
and i send it in around january 28,
does that make my chances lower by alot?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Would sending my transcript and recommendations very close to the February 1st deadline give me a disadvantage if I'm postponed?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
so if the deadline is feb 1,
and i send it in around january 28,
does that make my chances lower by alot?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'll try to answer the OP's original question and the most recent one. </p>

<p>First, late applicants usually do not get the "postponed" decision after the end of rolling admission cycle (Feb 1). Few of them may be placed on the "extended waitlist" for possible admission after May 1.</p>

<p>Second, the rolling admission process @ UW ensures that all applicants will receive the same outcome regardless their application date. Earlier applicants, however, may get an interim "postponed" decision and the opportunity to strengthen their candidacy via additional grade reports and personal interaction.</p>

<p>If you are one of the late applicants, be sure to submit your very best application, including any optional items that can strengthen your candidacy. You don't get a 2nd chance to turn them in.</p>

<p>Do you think I will get a "postponed/admit/deny" decision (and not the "extended waitlist") if my complete application gets to the admissions office in the week of January 7-11?</p>

<p>You are most likely hear either yea or nah after February. Make sure your transcript includes all the grades for this past Fall semester.</p>

<p>bears fans unite! I think you'll be fine as long as you get all your stuff in before the deadline. It takes them 4-8 weeks to actually come up with a decision, so even if you send all your stuff in now, come February or March when you get an admissions decision, it will either be accept/reject, most likely, not waitlist. What dallas said</p>

<p>The Fall semester ends January 18th. Do I have to wait until then to send everything? It would have to be after January 18th because they will have to put all the grades in.</p>

<p>In general, try to send your application in its entirety (except the test scores) as it greatly speed up the filing and reviewing process. </p>

<p>If you have an upward GPA trend and solid grades this Fall semester, I would say wait until 1/18 and FedEx them in just in case.</p>

<p>Of course. The application deadline is Feb 1. It took 3 weeks for an admit for a mid Jan applicant with stellar stats a few years ago... I'm sure there are many whose parents finally get them to apply to UW as a safety this month.</p>