A look back at D22’s choice one year later and what makes a school the “best”

I am the parent of a first-year college student, one year out from the whirlwind of applications, visits, and decision-making. I thought it might be helpful to share a perspective from the other side.

For background, my child was one of the applicants I have seen described here as “average excellent.” In other words, excellent—but not in an unusual way or unique area.

My child was a National Merit Finalist with a 4.0 unweighted GPA and 15 AP courses, was a year-round club/starting high school varsity athlete, and was a committed community volunteer and intern.

In the end, my kid was accepted to:
-three top 75 universities (two with prestigious scholarships) and a top regional university
-two well-regarded LACs with top academic scholarships and an offer to play a varsity D3 sport at one of them, and

• three large public R1 universities we considered “safety” schools, including one offering a full-tuition National Merit scholarship

She decided not to attend a top 75 school. She decided not to take the offer to continue her sport. She decided not to take the full-tuition offer, either.

Instead, she is attending Oregon State in the Honors College — the very first university that accepted her and the last one we visited. The analysis of what was important to her (and us) really evolved throughout the process and I shared the factors we considered in this post from last year:

So … how is it going?

Academically, she received so many credits for her AP courses that she actually has junior class standing. This has been a huge advantage in registering for classes.

She enjoys her classes and was happy to bypass most intro level courses. Her schedule is almost all honors courses (including interesting honors colloquia/seminars on professors’ passion projects) or honors sections of courses required for her major. She is on track to complete a double major, get a minor in sustainability, and probably also complete enough credits to qualify for the CPA exam within 4 years.

Because of the registration advantage granted to honors students and students with higher class standing, she’s been able to get almost all of the classes, times, and professors she wanted. All but one of her courses have been small, with ample opportunity to get to know the professor. She feels she is learning a lot and that it is more practical than high school. So far, her grades are excellent.

Socially, she is thriving, too. She opted to join a sorority and has already been elected to a director position there. Somewhat contrary to the stereotype, her sorority requires each member to participate actively in a campus club or sport or to have a job, to maintain a specified GPA, and to contribute a specified number of individual volunteer hours to the community outside of the sorority’s official philanthropic efforts.

She goes to the gym daily and has also joined two academic clubs/organizations, learned a new sport, joined a dance group, and attended multiple sporting events (even participated in the half-time entertainment for a basketball game), among other activities. And she polished up her resume and just started looking for a campus job.

Bottom line, she really likes the beautiful campus and the energy at a R1/Pac-12 university — particularly a university that continued to grow enrollment throughout the pandemic. OSU feels to her like a positive, busy place where things are happening and there is a lot of opportunity to participate in any area of interest. It was also important to her to attend a school where she did not feel intimidated or that the environment was too intense or competitive to allow her to explore all her interests. In addition, coming from an economically, racially, and culturally diverse high school, it was also important to her to attend a larger, more diverse institution than she found the LACs to be.

And, of critical importance to her, she is meeting people she really likes and finding a balance that enables her to devote ample time to her relationships as well as her studies.

Not to say it has all been smooth sailing. It was an adjustment not to define herself by the sport she played so many years. There have been challenges with illness and transportation, managing to get to the right dining halls when they are open, and getting various instances of bureaucratic red tape resolved. It probably wouldn’t be the right situation for a student less organized or less able to self-advocate or push themselves out of their comfort zone.

On the other hand, we discovered that being within driving distance was more helpful than we had predicted when dealing with illness, malfunctioning technology, etc. A student with a different temperament may have taken all that in stride even 3000 miles from home.

I offer up our experience because so often it seems that high-achieving students are presented a college admissions dichotomy: either choose to go to the highest-ranked/most highly regarded school that accepts you, or chase merit and go to the school that offers the lowest cost of attendance. Our experience revealed that there are a whole host of schools in between and that the “Goldilocks” choice might be neither the highest ranked nor the least expensive.

Good luck and best wishes to all those in the midst of the process.

82 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. Lots of great points here.
Happy to know things worked out well for your daughter.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the update!!!

Love posts like this. She put real thought into it.

I’d love to know why she decided against some of the others, if you care to share.

6 Likes

Love your description! And am so happy that your daughter is having such a great experience.

In the end, college is an opportunity and will yield what the student invests in it. A party kid at a highly selective university might get very little out of that opportunity while a student at a less prestigious school might use their opportunity to accomplish tremendous things. I think you have rally made that point so well.

6 Likes

Great update. Glad her experience is positive.

On the flipside, she sounds very mature and has typical issues (where do I find the open dining hall).

Wonderful her experience is fantastic but she seems to have the maturity and drive that I’m guessing she could have had a wonderful experience at many schools, perhaps many large schools.

It’s also wonderful parenting that your child was comfortable enough to not select the ‘assumed’ school whether for pedigree or money. But rather chose what she thought was the best fit.

6 Likes

I not only remember your previous post, I had saved it. Thank you for the update!!

Reasons she decided against others:

She ruled out LACs because she wanted a traditional big college experience at a school with a diverse student body and games that were televised and what she perceived as more practical career-oriented learning (despite a parent who embraced a “nonpractical” major at a LAC)

She ruled out some similar universities based partly on cost and distance and campus location/walkability.

But ultimately no other place made her heart as happy as OSU when we visited. It was largely a “vibe” thing — where she saw herself and likeminded people.

13 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing! It will be very helpful for parents. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also wanted to add that one other reason OSU appealed to her over other large schools is that there was no requirement to apply to get into her major. She didn’t have to worry about getting into a major or easily switching majors.

Likewise, access to clubs seems readily available at OSU. At some other schools we visited, participation seemed very competitive (requiring long applications and interviews for popular career-oriented clubs, and rejecting many applicants).

My daughter was not interested in competing hard to be admitted to a school only to immediately have to compete hard to be admitted to majors and clubs. She is a competitive person, but doesn’t believe in competing for full access to something she is already paying for.

13 Likes

Great post, thank you. This is an example of knowing yourself and what is really important. You have a very impressive daughter!

1 Like

And her daughter has a very impressive mother. :wink:

3 Likes

The American colleges/universities are fantastic. There are hundreds of great schools. And lots of students who don’t get good advice miss out on some great opportunities. Some of the places, if a good match, will bring the best out of you include Bard, Centre, Berea, Whitman, Kalamazoo, Kenyon, Spelman, Morehouse, Rhodes, College of Wooster, Muhlenberg, Colorado College, Davidson, Washington & Lee, Hamilton, Skidmore, University of Richmond, Bates, Grinnell, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Harvey Mudd, Lafayette, Union (NY), Gettysburg. If you’re a good to strong student, many of these are accessible. A few, such as Harvey Mudd, Cooper Union are as tough as MIT and others, but offer education that matches MIT’s, but top students are not often nudged toward them. I have dealt with skeptical parents/students when I try to convince them that Kenyon is a fantastic school, for instance. Or Lehigh. I push them to visit. More often then not, they come back glad they visited. Many of these students ended up at these hidden gems and none transferred out. Some students that want to transfer after community college and who have high grades, end up at some of the aforementioned and are thrilled. When you are happy and the fit is near perfect, you push yourself to the limit. So many people are surprised at what they can do. When it comes time for graduate school, they can compete with applicants from anywhere.

9 Likes

Thank you @Claude_Poux for sharing your perspective. I think that Union in particular is a hidden gem that doesn’t get recommended often enough. From what I’ve seen, what kids experience when they get there is as good as what is available at any SLAC - not to mention the fact that they offer a number of majors and minors not typically offered at SLACs, their long established Engineering Dept. Being the most prominent. Lafayette and Grinnell are 2 others which I think deserve more attention as well.

4 Likes

I don’t know how I missed this thread originally, but I’m so glad that it’s been bumped up again. I remember and saved the prestige post (and have recommended it to others since). That post is one of the best posts I’ve read on this forum.

Thank you so much for sharing an update on your daughter and on the factors that influenced her decision as well as what she has found college life to be like in her first semester. It is a refreshing viewpoint to read about, and your perspective would be very welcome if you want to stick around the boards. :grinning:

6 Likes

You’re welcome, Bill. One of my students was EA @Union. He will do well.

3 Likes

thanks for this. loved reading it; and we’ve “been there” especially with the malfunctioning technology during the 20-21 year; with an 8 week wait for laptop fixes! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: harsh.

question for you - are you in state for OSU? sort of curious on that.

my D23 is looking at an OOS public school within easy driving distance that’s not the cheapest; but sounds good for many of your reasons here.

1 Like

We are out of state, but D22 qualified for the WUE scholarship, which is competitive at OSU and not automatically available to all OOS students. So for us tuition is 150% of in-state tuition (and a little less for any online classes she takes through OSU’s ecampus).

Many students who do not test out of a lot of the undergrad core courses (like D22 did) save money by participating in OSU’s DPP program, which enables them to be enrolled simultaneously at OSU and the local community college so they can take many intro courses at the community college at a lower tuition cost.

1 Like

What a lovely post! So glad to hear your D is doing so well. And I completely agree with the value of proximity. S22s roommate got Covid the dead week before the finals. We were able to pick up our son in 45 mins.

My son graduated from Union in 2022. I work in higher Ed elsewhere and was completely impressed with Union, especially how it handled COVID. President David Harris is fantastic. The opportunities my son had for research, relationships with professors, campus activity were all great. I truly believe his Union experience is what got him into his graduate program as a fully funded student. Best of luck to your student!

1 Like