A message from President Bonner on integration of UA sororities

<p>I thought it was pretty decisive, and it’s probably good that this happened early in her tenure. She would have much less moral high ground to stand on if this problem had come to a head, say, three years from now. The fact is that her predecessors did nothing. Zip. Nada. I guess you could say this is her moment.</p>

<p>I agree with what most all of you said. She was point blank and to the point. No wishy-washy excuses or easy answers were given. She laid it out there and exposed it for exactly what it is. PERFECT! All of the student body and parents have now received an email with the video. </p>

<p>She could easily have taken the easy way out and issued a statement to be read by a talking head, she did not. She put her face out there and took care of the matter. Just the kind of person that is needed at the helm of a fine institution. </p>

<p>ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>I think that including Bill Cosby, someone who is highly visible world-wide, Dr.Bonner took an even greater step in getting her message out. It isn’t a video that will be relegated to the back page of the news cycle. It will be much more “front and center” because of Mr.Cosby’s participation and that in itself speaks volumes about UA’s commitment to make the necessary changes.</p>

<p>Dr. Cosby, not Mr. Cosby</p>

<p>Being an AA male who attended a southern university, I have been a huge critic about UA’s lack of a response. Dr. Bonner seems to understand the magnitude of this matter and how it will impact UA’s future if not resolved correctly. Change must be facilitated starting with her and her job is not easy considering what she has to work with. I ask that we be patient and give her a chance because this change will not happen over night :)</p>

<p>ABC news is currently parked in front of one of the houses on Sorority Row</p>

<p>feenotype, thank you for the correction! Dr. Cosby it is. :)</p>

<p>It is a serious speech for a serious topic with the right imagery. Bill Cosby was a deft touch.</p>

<p>and what poetgirl said. She did not mince words so people who are putting road blocks understand precisely what they have been doing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Words of wisdom. Thank you, DartDad17.</p>

<p>I thought she said exactly what needed to be said. It will be interesting to see what happens next.</p>

<p>DS as a student has been concerned with this issue for years. He said the old excuse that “African Americans had their own houses” never sat well with him. He said the analogy would be that the “black” water fountains had the same water as the ones the whites drank from! He believes that the students are not the ones that are racist… He was very satisfied with Dr. Bonner’s speech today.</p>

<p>I’m impressed. She said what needed to be said. Now I hope to see the ball keep rolling. </p>

<p>I’m not exactly sure what the Bill Cosby tie in is. My daughter’s other top choice is Temple, where he is the favorite son, and we have actually been having fun watching episodes of his show since DD is excited about Temple. Funny to have him now be associated with UA as well!</p>

<p>Interesting article from the CW that kind of ties in and gives the inside perspective from faculty:
[The</a> Crimson White | Cemetery serves as reminder of history, hope for future](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>I’m a history nut so this weeked I may be looking for this cemetery.</p>

<p><a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White;

<p>It’s not enough to admit it or mandate COB. We can now sit back & watch 1 or 2 AA women pledge this year and next year a couple more. It’s not enough. The administration needs to put concrete plans in place for integration.
I stand with the CW on this</p>

<p>A good message from President Bonner, good to see a commitment to take concrete steps. My first reaction was thinking that with Alabama’s efforts to recruit high achieving students from all over the country divergent viewpoints challenging the status quo were bound to come up eventually. However, though Alabama has an opportunity to step up for change with this situation, it doesn’t exist just at Bama or just in the south. National chapters might do well to address the integration issue with chapters and alumnae nationwide: [GreekYearbook</a> Sorority Composites, Fraternity Composites, Sorority bid day and Fraternity and Sorority party pictures and products. The best composite, bid day, and event photography services!](<a href=“http://www.greekyearbook.com/bidday_photoweek.htm]GreekYearbook”>http://www.greekyearbook.com/bidday_photoweek.htm)</p>

<p>My D told me last night that she and her roommates and friends (all non-Greek) were thrilled with Pres. Bonner’s actions and video. She also told me that there is a large desegregation student rally scheduled for today. They are ALL ready for the change … even the non-Greeks! :-)</p>

<p>I finally got around to watching this. I picked up on the subtle designation of Mr. Cosby (as opposed to Dr. Cosby), only because it was mentioned in a previous post on this thread. I trust <em>he</em> does not view this as a slight. Some PhDs do not want (nor expect) to be called by “Dr”, but since his PhD is in Education, it would seem very appropriate to make that distinction in this case.</p>

<p>Exactly what do “concrete plans” look like? Quotas? Those tend to discriminate as well. I have a real issue with the actual effectiveness of them. They tend to artificially patch an issue with the perception that a resolution has been achieved.</p>

<p>aeromom - I’m the culprit of the mistake of calling Dr.Cosby “Mr.” earlier in this thread. I assure you, it was not meant as a slight in any way. I’m not sure how I got to be this old (ancient, these days) without realizing that he had earned his PhD in Education. I’m just completely out of the loop. I’m glad someone caught my mistake and corrected it for me. I suppose it is also possible that the same mistake was made in the video.</p>

<p>sew, it wasnt your mistake Dr bonner called him Mr cosby… i thought that was a bad thing…but overall thought the video was good</p>