A message from President Bonner on integration of UA sororities

<p>integration is a two way street.<br>
President Bonner’s meassage is very direct and on point addressing how blacks are being passed over at Alabama . But one of my white friends at another University is having a problem connecting with her black roomate and her friends. She tells me how they don’t want her as part of their group and they feel really uncomfortable with her around. We have so far to go and it is sad … she keeps asking me for advice but its funny how the only thing you can say is be nice & be yourself… I never noticed her color and she never noticed mine… I think we can’t look at integration as a challenge with just white people. Integration crosses all spiritual and racial populations.</p>

<p>thx, parent56- I completely missed that. However, she’s a lot older than even me so I’m going to hope she made a mistake, too. She was probably shaking in her boots making that video in the first place worrying about saying the right thing. I don’t know her but I doubt she would make a calculated slip like that.</p>

<p>See… that is how bad this political correctness nonsense has become. Calling a PhD Mr. instead of Dr. Everyone is overly hypersensitive and just looking for something to complain about. </p>

<p>Integration IS a two way street, and I can tell you for a fact there was reverse-racism being perpetrated in various on-campus programs this summer. </p>

<p>Relax, people. Accept the fact that all the idealism in the world will not change the fact that certain segments of every race want nothing to do with other races. Just a fact of life.</p>

<p>Bill Cosby does not hold an earned phd. He has honorary phds. He does hold an Ed.d degree, but technically it is improper to call him Dr. Cosby.</p>

<p>So now that the school admin has come out and admitted what has gone on is wrong, challenged the groups to be inclusive and such we are going to complain about that? I am sorry, it would not matter how they approached the situation with a solution or the words said by Dr. Bonner or any other admin someone somewhere would not be happy or would find something to complain about.</p>

<p>My D was the target of one of the situations that rolltide90 mentioned. It was not fun for my D and thankfully, she comes from a much more diverse background than I bet most on here can imagine. It floored her that someone could call her a racist and upset her terribly. Sad thing is, the other person wanted to duke it out in a physical fight without my D even knowing who this person was. Something that would jeopardize her being able to attend UA or any other school. She handled it great without blowing up or reacting harshly like many could have.</p>

<p>I was not complaining before…but now I think I might. :wink:
It is improper to refer to someone who has a Doctor of Education, Ed.d or D.Ed, as a ‘dr’?! It it not the same as a PhD in Education, sure. But they may both surely be considered (and called) ‘dr’. Learn something every day…
How does Cosby refer to himself, if anyone knows?</p>

<p>I should have written “Ed.D.,” not “Ed.d.” Anyway, here is more on the matter: [Why</a> does Bill Cosby have PHD behind his name](<a href=“Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions”>Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions) The response in the link explains why it is improper to put a PhD behind his name.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’ll drink to that. I have a Ph.D. and as far as I’m concerned, anyone with a doctorate who’s offended by not being called “Dr.” is in need of an egoectomy. ;)</p>

<p>While we are on the topic of removing barriers, I’d like to ask the wisdom of this group about another one: economic. I was very happy to see the smiling face of one of my kids’ friends in her bid day pictures. She’s an awesome young lady. However she faces economic challeges. Fortunately she’s a good student with decent scholarships, but sorority dues would be a lot for her.
This is not on the campus of UA, but it’s a national branch. Do sororoties have financial aid for students who wish to join? I would hate to see that smile turn to tears.</p>

<p>I don’t know if he is Mr. or Dr. Cosby but he is Dr. Huxtable…</p>

<p>He has several honorary doctorates. I think by that time people acknowlege that a person’s work is at least the equivalent of a dissertation. He’s probably called either one at different times. I’ve known some people in his position, and they are flexible about whatever people are comfortable with calling them.</p>

<p>I don’t know what he prefers.</p>

<p>I know that this isn’t the essence of this thread, but since it has been mentioned already…why is it improper to call him Dr. Cosby? He earned an Ed.D.</p>

<p>the above link explains it, but personally, I am not offended by someone calling him a doctor or not calling him one</p>

<p>Dr. Cosby has about 15 honorary PhD’s from various universities, but he EARNED his Ed.D. in Education from the University of Massachusetts, just for the record.</p>

<p>Sorry, should have read the whole thread before posting. Looks like the topic’s been covered ad nauseum.</p>

<p>I have a Juris Doctor. From now on I want to be addressed as Dr. Slippy.</p>

<p>There are plenty of professors at UA with Ed.D that use Dr. in front of their names. I was just wondering if there was some circumstance where it wasn’t appropriate.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thank goodness you’re not a neurosurgeon. ;)</p>

<p>I would have figured a proctologist.</p>

<p>^:) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)</p>

<p>Hearing great news from T-Town from D about the whole situation
:)</p>

<p>Heart is happy! And my D is part of the greatness! Love her <3</p>