AA/OA and housing

<p>Can students move into their assigned room before AA/OA starts? I would like to avoid making two 15 hr x2 drives.</p>

<p>Also, what is there for students do between the end of AA/OA and the start of classes?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>What do you mean by before? Depending on the dorm, last year students could move in that Friday or Saturday. Events started on Sunday, concluded Friday night. </p>

<p>What do students do before classes start? Rest and recover from straining their poor little bodies from all that exertion. And help their roomies who didn’t move in early bring in their things and get settled.</p>

<p>Week of Welcome (WOW) also has lots of activities for the kids the week before school starts.</p>

<p>IIRC, this past year OA started on Sunday evening, and my D moved in on the Saturday right before that. Some students who were in other dorms were able to move in on Friday. I left after we moved her in and there was no need to return, so don’t worry about having to do two drives. OA and AA finished up the following Friday. The general move-in takes place that weekend and there are Week of Welcome activities going on until (and beyond when) classes start on Wednesday. I know my D was really busy during the week of OA, so she hadn’t gotten all of her books and school supplies or gotten her room totally organized. In addition, she still had some OA writing to complete after the week was over. She had more than enough to keep her busy between the end of OA and the start of classes.</p>

<p>6 days between AA/OA seemed like a lot, but I’m sure it will go quick. If he can move into his room Friday before AA/OA, that would be great.</p>

<p>It’s not 6 days. OA/AA end on Friday night, and classes begin on Wednesday. So there’s only 4 days in between. And the kids are going to be busy during that time. Which dorm is your son going to be in? I don’t know if it’ll be the same this year, but last year you could move in on Friday if you were in RCS, but not until Saturday if you were in RCW.</p>

<p>He’s in RCW. I was under the impression that AA/OA ended on the 18th and classes started on the 24th.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>Classes start Wednesday 8/21. If it’s like last year, OA/AA will end the Friday evening before that.</p>

<p>Move-in schedule is on the website. For AA/OA and other early arrivers, move-in for all dorms is Thursday 8/8 and Friday 8/9, 8-12 and 1-5 (Tutwiler is 7-7 on Thursday). I assume they can also move in on Saturday, anyone know?</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/schedule.cfm?CFID=4534272&CFTOKEN=21971063]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/schedule.cfm?CFID=4534272&CFTOKEN=21971063)</p>

<p>Riprorin - you might also want to check here: [Academic</a> Calendars | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/]Academic”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/). Click on the tabs up top for the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 calendars.</p>

<p>Just an FYI,
I spoke with Susan Alley last week and told her that the move in dates on the AA/OA page dont match those on the Housing page that they are off by a day. She said that the AA/OA move in dates have not been finalized yet.</p>

<p>My DD did AA several years ago and didn’t move in until Sunday morning and then AA started Sunday afternoon. The Thursday/Friday dates seem really early for AA.</p>

<p>I would doubt it would be as early as Thursday. That’s when a lot of the student leaders move in, and Friday is project setup day. I moved in on Saturday last year. And yes, there is plenty to do between the final day of AA/OA and the first day of classes. I’m pretty sure I wrote and turned in my reflection paper on Saturday, went and got all my books, met new people, participated in some welcome events, walked out all of my class routes, and got to know campus a little better. . . but then again, I don’t have the clearest memory from the very beginning of school since a lot of my energies were focused on finding new friends in this huge and exciting new environment! (It was overwhelming to my little brain at times during those first few weeks. . . :wink: )</p>

<p>OP, tried sending you a pm and your box is full.</p>