Accepting CLEP or Dual Enrollment credits

When my older son looked at Case a couple years ago we couldn’t get a good read ahead of time if they’d accept any of his dual enrollment classes. Just kept telling him he’d find out after he was admitted. Son #2 is coming along now with like 50 dual enrollment credits and we’d like to know before hand if CWRU will accept them or if they are generally accepting of DE credits. Specifically looking to possibly major in engineering. Son #1 is doing engineering elsewhere and was able to use his generously accepted DE to graduate early and add in a masters. Thanks

CWRU will review nothing until the applicant is accepted and final transcripts have been sent. In general, DE credit used for HS requirements will not be accepted for CWRU credit. They don’t accept CLEP

4 Likes

I’m not sure why schools won’t review until after admission but this is where a few solid, but not necessarily high ranked public schools, come in strongly. So if wanting to take advantage of already earned credits, I’d add some.

I presume your other is at one - hence the masters to go with the undergrad degree.

1 Like

Typically private universities don’t accept CLEP credits. I am not sure if many accept DE credits either. Or, very unlikely that they will allow DE credits to fulfill any curriculum requirements. It’s probably more likely that your child would be given the option of skipping intro level courses.

At any rate, what they’ve stated is what you have to go with. There are other colleges to apply to if CWRU’s policy is unacceptable.

If the goal is for staring college with higher than freshman standing, publics are the best option.

1 Like

My son attends Case. Because of his DE classes, he was invited to join “enhanced” physics, which is Phys 123, instead of Phys 121, which he did and he loves the extra topics. The email in part said:

“Please note that you may be planning to bypass the first semester of mechanics (PHYS 121 or this PHYS 123 option) using your AP, IB, or transfer credit, and that is fine to do so. However, many students forsake using this credit and do take PHYS 123 (or 121). Keep in mind that should you enroll in PHYS 123 (or 121) but later decide that the course is not right for you, there will be an opportunity during the first two weeks of the semester to drop the course and either substitute a different physics course or choose to apply your AP/IB credit.”

He was also invited to “enhanced” calculus. The email said in part:

"Eligible students who have approved credit for Math 121 (Calculus I for Science and Engineering) can begin their studies at CWRU in the second-semester course, Math 122 or the enhanced Math 124. Eligible students who have approved credit for both Math 121 and Math 122 (Calculus I & II for Science and Engineering) can begin their studies at CWRU in the third-semester course, Math 223 or the enhanced Math 227.

You are invited to enroll in the enhanced course if you have earned credit for previous coursework in calculus through one of the following:

• Approved transfer credit for MATH 121/MATH 122 from another college or university;
  • IB score of 5, 6 or 7 on the HL exam (credit for MATH 121);
  • AP Calculus AB score of 5 (credit for MATH 121);
  • AP Calculus BC - AB subscore of 5 (credit for MATH 121);
  • AP Calculus BC score of 5 (credit for MATH 121 and 122).

His friend has skipped more classes than that but I don’t know the details about how. I do know he’s taking some classes usually taken by sophomores. It’s true you won’t find out until you’re accepted and maybe even until you commit, but if your student is interested, I would urge them to apply and get in touch with the school about options if admitted.

2 Likes

Thanks for this insight @tiny_teapot . Is your son engineering? My son will be finishing Differential Equations and Physics 2 as Dual Enrollment. I understand Case giving him the option to retake any of these courses, but I can’t imagine them requiring it. Or putting him into the next level of math as a substitute option.

We homeschool - there are not “graduation requirements”. We graduate him when we want to graduate him and he’ll essentially have about 8 math credits and 8 science credits so the DE used for HS requirements isn’t clear to me.

I have a daughter who matriculated to her BS program with 56hrs DE credit. The reason they won’t let you know until after he is accepted is because of the wide disparity in the quality of DE credit. Log onto ‘transferology’ and you should be able to see what will transfer by plugging in where the classes were taken vs the transfer equivalent at Case. My daughter’s coursework was taken at other colleges/universities (not high school), so they all transferred. However, there is a maximum number of credits a lot of universities will allow to be applied toward graduation - so make sure you check that as much as ‘what’ will transfer.

1 Like

My son is in engineering and we also homeschooled him. He taught himself Calc and got a 5 on the AP AB exam, not BC, so no DE credits for that. He took DE physics with Calc his last year, along with an engineering class that gave him access to the maker space he wanted to get into. He also took linear algebra, so no diff equations.

1 Like

I love me some CWRU, but if he has that many DE credits why not look at your State School?

WHat does he hope to use the DE credits for?

Does he want to graduate early?
Does he want flexibility for research?
Does he want to be able to study abroad?
Does he want to go into advanced classes?

I would imagine they don’t evaluate DE credits because if you have 38,000 applicants and some large fraction want to know if they get credit that would be too much for Case to handle. I am sure it is difficult enough with the 10,000 that are admitted.

1 Like

We didn’t ask for them to evaluate my older sons credits. There is no way they can do that, as you said, logistically. But feel that their phrasing on it is confusing. So we’ll have to see what son #2 wants to do. Thanks